# Clipper Blade For Poodles?

What colour are they? I'd not go shorter than #5 on a pale skinned dog. She's going to have a bugger of a time getting any blade through a dirty unbrushed coat though.

Tell her to buy more than one blade.. dirty coat heats blades and dulls them. She'll be needing to change blades and to get them sharpened frequently.

Thanks PF. One is white and black the other is Ruby. I try and offer my (limited) advice I even lent her my brand new clippers as they hadnt had a haircut in about 10 months :laugh: - In the end one had to go to the vet to be finished off. I told her if she bought a blade then she could borrow my clippers just so they get more regular haircuts. This is another horror story of petshop bought poodle crosses.

She assures me that after the last time she will brush them more and clip them more so hopefully only time will tell. I will tell her again about washing them before clipping - hopefully she listens.

OK, stick with no shorter than #5. She'll need a few lessons.. things like hot blades and where you can cut dogs need to be taught.

Why won't she take them to a groomer??

She used to take them to a groomer and I dont know why she wont take them anymore. I will have to ask her (I am thinking $$$$ and sadly care factor). I have actually lost sleep worrying over the dogs. I had to feed them for a week for her and they are lovely dogs but starved of attention as they are "outside" dogs.

Maybe I will encourage her to go back to the groomer.

She used to take them to a groomer and I dont know why she wont take them anymore. I will have to ask her (I am thinking $$$$ and sadly care factor). I have actually lost sleep worrying over the dogs. I had to feed them for a week for her and they are lovely dogs but starved of attention as they are "outside" dogs.

Maybe I will encourage her to go back to the groomer.

Makes you want to scream doesn't it. No poodle breeder I know would sell a pup to an outside only home. At least they have each other. :laugh:

Makes you want to scream doesn't it. No poodle breeder I know would sell a pup to an outside only home. At least they have each other

I find it very sad but then I have to remember that they have food, water and shelter and definately whilst not condoning it is alot more than some other dogs have.

I did try and encourage her to rehome them (they had a new baby) but she wont.

Makes you want to scream doesn't it. No poodle breeder I know would sell a pup to an outside only home. At least they have each other

I find it very sad but then I have to remember that they have food, water and shelter and definately whilst not condoning it is alot more than some other dogs have.

I did try and encourage her to rehome them (they had a new baby) but she wont.

She might rethink that once she wants the child to access the back yard.

What blade do you guys use on and between feet? I use the 10 blade this doesn't give a totally close shave but good enough For my guys for the summer. I dont tend to clip around and between thier feet really short in winter. So many grass seeds this year already where ever we go, so much easier for the day to day upkeep on thier coats if they are short!!

Shells are the guide combs you are using Stainless steel or plastic? I used to have the plastic with the first clippers I had but when i got my new ones the ss combs came with them. I found the plastic ones not good at all, they bent easily and didnt go back into shape especially on my oldest coat, it is a lot thicker than the younger 3.

tlc - a #10 on the feet is fine - as long as you maintain them. Most groomers/poodle folk would use a #30 (and some even a #40) but you need to be quite confident and quick doing the job to avoid clipper rash.

Re: plastic combs - they are really only useful (in my opinion) on a coat which has been groomed-through, bathed and dried; then you DO get a nice finish. If used on a knotty/dirty coat they will make the coat look 'choppy'.

You are better off using a #5 or #4 on them if you clip before bathing and then once bathed & dried thoroughly, finish off with a #5F or #4F. In the summer I used to like using the #8.5 blade which leaves coat short & sleek without the "shaved" look of a #10. LOVE the #9 on cockers but may be too short for your lot, Barb.

:laugh:

What blade do you use on the Vizslas Jerojath.. I have access to two I can practice on. :laugh:

:laugh: Knowing the owner I think you'd get shot! Poor flyn... you could try clipping out the grey!!! :)

I haven't always been owned by vizslas - I started with Cockers and have been grooming and operating Salons for nearly 20 years. Mind you, I haven't groomed professionally for a little while so my advice to tlc may be totally out of date! :rofl:

TLC - regarding the 'beards', RJ is right. Get yourself a good pair of thinning shears. They take some practice to use

properly but at least you can't make any huge disastrous mistakes with them!

My advice is to work slowly with them - combing through the beard after every 'snip' to remove cut coat,

until you achieve the desired effect. :laugh:

Thanks JJ.

Shells, :thumbsup: about your friend, my lot are inside dogs most of the time apart from when we are out and about excersise training etc.... all the people I know with oodles none of them are outside dogs they just dont do well outside, they love to be around people!! and no haircut for 10 months they must have been in a shocking state. Good on you for trying to help her, I agree with PF try for the 5 blade, thats what Im about to buy for my lot, for summer it will be great. And if she can keep them short they wont be as hard next time if she does it regularly. I clip mine about every 8 weeks. I have turned so many people off oodles with talk of grooming often and they are active little dogs also and like to have lots of company. I really dont understand why people dont look into what a particular dog needs in relation to thier situation and if they will suit thier life style. It really isnt that hard and if you want a dog that is low mantenance dont get a long coated breed because weather it is an oodle poodle or many other coated breeds they all require a certain amount of attention where their coats are concerned!!

I know with oodles none of them are outside dogs they just dont do well outside, they love to be around people!! and no haircut for 10 months they must have been in a shocking state.

It is sad. They are lovely dogs, a good size ( a tiny bit bigger than my mini's) and these 2 were great with my girls (including the baby). As for their coat. There were mats that had grass seeds in them that had started to sprout and they couldnt see properly because their hair was in there eyes oh and I cant forget the huge lumps of poo stuck around their bums - it broke my heart. I helped clip them and to be honest I didnt know where to start. In the end it was from the top of the head then down - the coat came off in one piece. My friend was embarressed and rightfully so.

I know with oodles none of them are outside dogs they just dont do well outside, they love to be around people!! and no haircut for 10 months they must have been in a shocking state.

It is sad. They are lovely dogs, a good size ( a tiny bit bigger than my mini's) and these 2 were great with my girls (including the baby). As for their coat. There were mats that had grass seeds in them that had started to sprout and they couldnt see properly because their hair was in there eyes oh and I cant forget the huge lumps of poo stuck around their bums - it broke my heart. I helped clip them and to be honest I didnt know where to start. In the end it was from the top of the head then down - the coat came off in one piece. My friend was embarressed and rightfully so.

If they get to that state again Shells, don't mince your words. Tell her that's RSPCA report material - pure neglect. If nothing else will motivate her to either care for the dogs properly or rehome them, maybe shame will.

Edited by poodlefan

Tell her that's RSPCA report material - pure neglect

I was tempted to report them but then unsure if the RSPCA would do anything. I am going to be a bit more proactive and just drop the clippers over before christmas (when they would need another trim) and explain the hot clipper blade situation. She visited the other day and commented that my dogs looked lovely so hopefully that will inspire her to look after her 2 again.

PF - Can I ask another poodley question :laugh: If I take my guys for a swim should I treat their ears with epioptic when I get home?

I usually wander over to EPIC when the dog shows are on. If I make it over this weekend I would love to come say hello. Hopefully it wont be too hot for you all.

PF - Can I ask another poodley question :laugh: If I take my guys for a swim should I treat their ears with epioptic when I get home?

I usually wander over to EPIC when the dog shows are on. If I make it over this weekend I would love to come say hello. Hopefully it wont be too hot for you all.

I don't treat their ears afterwards and have never had a problem but if your dogs are prone to ear issues, it wouldn't hurt. Frankly around Canberra, I've had more issues with water quality and do always rinse them off in fresh water after a swim. I had all three develop a mild bacterial skin infection after a swim in LBG once. :laugh:

You won't miss me at the shows- look for the pink and purple gazebo somewhere around the lower rings. If I'm not in it, I won't be far away.

I won't have any of my poodles with me due to the heat so you'll have to content yourself with being mugged by the Whippet. Come in the morning, I'm hoping to be home by lunchtime both days.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks :laugh: (I though I would reply I think my computer is about to die with this heat). They havent had issues but I am glad you mentioned about the skin - they have been a bit itchy since we went yesterday.

Hopefully I will make it over in the morning. I would love to see Sarah as we met at puppy preschool plus I think it is going to be HOT.

I met Betty Kingdom last time I wandered over who really encouraged me to learn to clip my own dogs plus she seemed outraged that I was paying $70 per dog for grooming LOL (and using an overpriced vet in her opinion)

News to hand from EPIC. Pink and purple palace will be located at on the main road side of the ring closest to the Shell servo. Hounds are Ring 8.

[yes folks, my trusty sidekick is out staking me a spot as we speak - gotta love showies - many folk out there jostling for gazebo positions atm. ] :laugh:

I've managed to miss all the nearby shows this year! :rofl:

eta: I think a lot of people who buy oodles just don't realise the grooming and clipping necessary- might hurt their sales :).

Friends of ours earn big $, but seem to think grooming is overpriced at about $60.

All about perception! I think $60 for 2+ hours work is good value and far cheaper than humans who have a whole lot less hair.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I've managed to miss all the nearby shows this year! :rofl:

eta: I think a lot of people who buy oodles just don't realise the grooming and clipping necessary- might hurt their sales :p.

Friends of ours earn big $, but seem to think grooming is overpriced at about $60.

All about perception! I think $60 for 2+ hours work is good value and far cheaper than humans who have a whole lot less hair.

You still have one more chance PW. There are shows at EPIC on December 5 and 6. There were poodles of all three sizes at the last ones. :rofl: