# Clipper Blade For Poodles?

I'd normally do #5 body + #30 face, feet, tail.

Have #15 and #7F blades, too.

Thinking of buying an extra # 7skiptooth or # 8.5 for body and legs?

Plan to travel in summer with a camper trailer- so won't be able to clip them whenever I like.

Plan to keep them extra short all over to make it easier to check for ticks, grass seeds etc.

Charlie- apricot standard- has a thick coat, grows very quickly.

Oscar's a black mini with an average coat.

I have a quick question for you guys, I want to buy a new blade for my wahl clippers (kmss) is a #5 blade about a 3/8 of an inch cut?? I have to order on line and i dont wanna get the wrong one. I am currently using a 10 blade with a 3/8 of an inch stainless steel comb attachment, So I want eqivalent in a blade for a neater clip, the guide combs tend to make the fur a bit choppy looking and I want them to be more even all over. Also wanting to keep them shorter in summer as we are out and about all the time and grass seeds are a worry this time of year.

Also what size blade would give a 1/2 inch clip length?

Ps sorry to high jack thread just thought you guys would know. Thanks

Thanks, pf.

Poor Charlie got a #15 on all 4 legs, so they're even after the op for luxating patella. Now looks like a spindly-legged poodle.

Fur grows so fast on him- vet had to double check he'd got all the staples out only 14 days after a surgical clip.

TLC,

#5 is 6mm, but length also depends on HOW you clip- will be shorter if you go against the growth of the fur.

#3 is about 1/2 inch.

see http://clipperbladesharpening.webs.com/clipperblades.htm

I buy my blades and have them sharpened there.

Great advice if you contact Colin, also.

I find those comb attachments hard to use unless the dog is washed, blow-dried and brushed out very well (zero knots/ tangles).

I think #5 looks very nice with legs scissored- like poodlefan's avatar.

On our standard, I normally use #5 body and #4 or #3 on the legs due to laziness (lot of fur to scissor).

I'm just looking for super-easy grooming when travelling.

If the dog's gone shaggy due to lack of brushing/ clipping, I do a quick #5 skiptooth all over, then bath, then a quick redo with an F blade.

Takes ages to dry the standard's thick coat, otherwise.

F= finishing= smoother look; Skiptooth is easier to get thru a dirtier/ longer coat with a few tangles, but isn't as neat.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

For a body clip, anything from about #4 to #7 would be OK. Unless the coat is very thick, I'd not use a #7 except in summer.

I love the leg blades you can buy now. I have the Oster one and it has the comb built into the blade. With a bit of scissoring, it gives a very even finish.

I do the same as you PW, clip the body, wash and blow straight then reclip with the same blade. It speeds drying time. :)

Another hijack here. Poodlefan, can you post a link for the leg blades you are taliking about, thanks. :mad

Yep. I lied though, its an Andis blade. See below. They basically have the comb and blade in one. They give a pretty good finish for pet clips. They certainly speed up the grooming process too. I've got the 1.6cm one but I think theres' a 1.9 one too.

Andis leg blade Wooferwares carries them.

ETA: Clipper world has the 19mm leg blade

Edited by poodlefan

PF and PW what do you do for Canberra Winters? My guys are inside but what is a comfortable length for them for walking and outside play?

BTW this thread is great - I too have been doing things the hard way with snap-on combs and PW you are right the dogs have to be clean, blow dryed and knot free for them to work well and they are very difficult to use around the lower leg area.

I still do #5 body in winter, though I let it grow for about 6-8 weeks in winter.

More like monthly clips in summer. Face, feet tail more like fortnightly, though I tend to be slack with brushing/combing.

The dogs are very good about finding the best places: Warmest or coolest, depending on the weather.

They also slept outside in #5 body with longer legs during winter on the South Coast, but would rarely be much below 10degrees.

PF and PW what do you do for Canberra Winters? My guys are inside but what is a comfortable length for them for walking and outside play?

BTW this thread is great - I too have been doing things the hard way with snap-on combs and PW you are right the dogs have to be clean, blow dryed and knot free for them to work well and they are very difficult to use around the lower leg area.

I do #4 for the black boys and 5# for the white girl. I coat them if the days are very cold (they have access inside) and at night.

What blade do you guys use on and between feet? I use the 10 blade this doesn't give a totally close shave but good enough For my guys for the summer. I dont tend to clip around and between thier feet really short in winter. So many grass seeds this year already where ever we go, so much easier for the day to day upkeep on thier coats if they are short!!

Shells are the guide combs you are using Stainless steel or plastic? I used to have the plastic with the first clippers I had but when i got my new ones the ss combs came with them. I found the plastic ones not good at all, they bent easily and didnt go back into shape especially on my oldest coat, it is a lot thicker than the younger 3.

What blade do you guys use on and between feet? I use the 10 blade this doesn't give a totally close shave but good enough For my guys for the summer. I dont tend to clip around and between thier feet really short in winter. So many grass seeds this year already where ever we go, so much easier for the day to day upkeep on thier coats if they are short!!

I use a 30# on feet and a toe blade on the underside for between toes. Even then they still get the odd seed between toes. :confused:

Shells are the guide combs you are using Stainless steel or plastic? I used to have the plastic with the first clippers I had but when i got my new ones the ss combs came with them. I found the plastic ones not good at all, they bent easily and didnt go back into shape especially on my oldest coat, it is a lot thicker than the younger 3.

tlc - a #10 on the feet is fine - as long as you maintain them. Most groomers/poodle folk would use a #30 (and some even a #40) but you need to be quite confident and quick doing the job to avoid clipper rash.

Re: plastic combs - they are really only useful (in my opinion) on a coat which has been groomed-through, bathed and dried; then you DO get a nice finish. If used on a knotty/dirty coat they will make the coat look 'choppy'.

You are better off using a #5 or #4 on them if you clip before bathing and then once bathed & dried thoroughly, finish off with a #5F or #4F. In the summer I used to like using the #8.5 blade which leaves coat short & sleek without the "shaved" look of a #10. LOVE the #9 on cockers but may be too short for your lot, Barb.

:laugh:

Edited by jerojath

tlc - a #10 on the feet is fine - as long as you maintain them. Most groomers/poodle folk would use a #30 (and some even a #40) but you need to be quite confident and quick doing the job to avoid clipper rash.

Re: plastic combs - they are really only useful (in my opinion) on a coat which has been groomed-through, bathed and dried; then you DO get a nice finish. If used on a knotty/dirty coat they will make the coat look 'choppy'.

You are better off using a #5 or #4 on them if you clip before bathing and then once bathed & dried thoroughly, finish off with a #5F or #4F. In the summer I used to like using the #8.5 blade which leaves coat short & sleek without the "shaved" look of a #10. LOVE the #9 on cockers but may be too short for your lot, Barb.

What blade do you use on the Vizslas Jerojath.. I have access to two I can practice on. :laugh:

Thanks JJ, I dont use the plastic combs any more I use the Stainless steel ones now they are so much better but still leave the coat al ittle choppy in places untill they get a bit of growth back then you dont notice as thier coats are wavy as you know. I dont think Id be confident using any shorter than a 10 blade on thier feet especially with Coop he is really painful to do his front feet he doesn't like it at all but tolerates it enough for me to do. I usually make sure I have bathed the night before then clip the next day otherwise i was finding my blade getting blunt to often. I have been doing a 3/4 inch cut with the SS combs then i just do around thier feet with the blade only. I am by no mean pro but it gets easier every time and I think they look ok, I have a bit of trouble with thier faces, I like under there chins short but like to leave the mo look but to thin it out is really hard with out making it look choppy, RJ said I need to get thinning scissors so I might look into getting some. If I remember rightly you used to be inthe grooming business didnt you? Thanks for the advice!!

PF, do you check between toes ears etc every day for seeds?? I give my lot feet check every day and the rest of thier bodys a good once over every few days but the other day Lacy had a seed almost all the way in just a tiny bit of the end of it sticking out, it had only been a couple of days since I checked her, it was under her tummy around her girly bits not nice I got the rotten thing out but I think if It had of gone one more day it would have been closed over, they do thier work so quickly.

PF, do you check between toes ears etc every day for seeds?? I give my lot feet check every day and the rest of thier bodys a good once over every few days but the other day Lacy had a seed almost all the way in just a tiny bit of the end of it sticking out, it had only been a couple of days since I checked her, it was under her tummy around her girly bits not nice I got the rotten thing out but I think if It had of gone one more day it would have been closed over, they do thier work so quickly.

I don't check every day but I do check each time after they've been in long grass. However I do tend to feel if there's anything trapped in coat when patting them anyway. Just running hands over coat pick up a lot.

Fingers crossed none of mine have ever had an embedded seed. I think its worse on the smooth coated dogs as the poodle coat does seem to trap a lot off the skin.

Edited by poodlefan

I am using the stainless steel ones (everyone on here told me to steer clear of the plastic ones) :laugh:

Thanks PF and PW. I think I have been making it harder for myself by leaving the hair too long which of course means more brushing, longer to dry after bathing ect.

I usually make sure I have bathed the night before then clip the next day otherwise i was finding my blade getting blunt to often

If I did this and bathed the night before could I use a 4F or 5F the next morning instead of using the 2 different blades?

I have a bit of trouble with thier faces, I like under there chins short but like to leave the mo look but to thin it out is really hard with out making it look choppy, RJ said I need to get thinning scissors so I might look into getting some. If I remember rightly you used to be inthe grooming business didnt you? Thanks for the advice!!

My boy wont let me clipper his muzzle but stands perfectly still if I scissor it so I carefully do it that way. It no way looks as nice a shaved muzzle but it does the job. He lets me do under his chin and sides of face which helps.

and one last question LOL

my friend has 2 cocker spaniel x poodles - she doesnt care how they look she just wants to keep them short and mat free. I figure she doesnt bath them before clipping so what would be a good blade to tell her to buy?

Edited by shells

my friend has 2 cocker spaniel x poodles - she doesnt care how they look she just wants to keep them short and mat free. I figure she doesnt bath them before clipping so what would be a good blade to tell her to buy?

What colour are they? I'd not go shorter than #5 on a pale skinned dog. She's going to have a bugger of a time getting any blade through a dirty unbrushed coat though.

Tell her to buy more than one blade.. dirty coat heats blades and dulls them. She'll be needing to change blades and to get them sharpened frequently.

Edited by poodlefan

What colour are they? I'd not go shorter than #5 on a pale skinned dog. She's going to have a bugger of a time getting any blade through a dirty unbrushed coat though.

Tell her to buy more than one blade.. dirty coat heats blades and dulls them. She'll be needing to change blades and to get them sharpened frequently.

Thanks PF. One is white and black the other is Ruby. I try and offer my (limited) advice I even lent her my brand new clippers as they hadnt had a haircut in about 10 months :laugh: - In the end one had to go to the vet to be finished off. I told her if she bought a blade then she could borrow my clippers just so they get more regular haircuts. This is another horror story of petshop bought poodle crosses.

She assures me that after the last time she will brush them more and clip them more so hopefully only time will tell. I will tell her again about washing them before clipping - hopefully she listens.