South African Boerboel

openarms

They are fantastic dogs, I have see many at the home of the original and only importer of the breed in Sydney. They are even more impressive in person then in photos.

Check out www.ataraxia.ozehosting.com

their webpage is about 12-18mths out of date though!

Craig has amazing knowledge of the breed and dogs in general, he is very highly respected amoung the Boerboel community world wide.

Well they're very popular here in South Africa but it's done them, as a breed, no good at all. It seems everybody and his wife is now a Boerboel breeder and the breed here is well-known for major HD and ED problems as well as aggression. They are being bred, in the main, as guard dogs and it seems the more vicious and uncontrollable the parents are, the higher the asking price for pups. :o

Most so-called breeders over here are not carrying out ANY screenings for known problems in the breed. Most Boerboels in South Africa, I would venture to say come from BYBs. In a recent magazine article (All About Dogs, July/August 2009 - The Ridgeback Edition) one of the questions put to the Ridgeback breeders was "Would you like to see the Ridgeback become as popular as the Boerboel?" Without exception the breeders answered "NO!" and their reasons were all along the lines of "the more popular the dog, the more BYBs you get!"

I used to work for a popular local vet and many of the problem dogs (read aggressive, unmanageable and prone to bite) were big dogs, with Boerboels, GSDs and Rotties heading the list. I don't know if it is a particularly South African thing that it is considered "KEWL" or "MACHO" for a bloke to have an aggressive dog but it sure seems to be the case.

Ours are mostly tan, I can't remember ever seeing a brindled Boerboel. Also ours seem less like a mastiff than the one in your pic - but that might just be that I seldom see a proper one! :)

Well they're very popular here in South Africa but it's done them, as a breed, no good at all. It seems everybody and his wife is now a Boerboel breeder and the breed here is well-known for major HD and ED problems as well as aggression. They are being bred, in the main, as guard dogs and it seems the more vicious and uncontrollable the parents are, the higher the asking price for pups. :)

Most so-called breeders over here are not carrying out ANY screenings for known problems in the breed. Most Boerboels in South Africa, I would venture to say come from BYBs. In a recent magazine article (All About Dogs, July/August 2009 - The Ridgeback Edition) one of the questions put to the Ridgeback breeders was "Would you like to see the Ridgeback become as popular as the Boerboel?" Without exception the breeders answered "NO!" and their reasons were all along the lines of "the more popular the dog, the more BYBs you get!"

I used to work for a popular local vet and many of the problem dogs (read aggressive, unmanageable and prone to bite) were big dogs, with Boerboels, GSDs and Rotties heading the list. I don't know if it is a particularly South African thing that it is considered "KEWL" or "MACHO" for a bloke to have an aggressive dog but it sure seems to be the case.

Ours are mostly tan, I can't remember ever seeing a brindled Boerboel. Also ours seem less like a mastiff than the one in your pic - but that might just be that I seldom see a proper one! :)

That's a real shame :)

It happens in many breeds the world over, I breed Dogues and the popularity of this breed with BYB's is also putting our breed in trouble. Not for aggression but our breed is losing correct type at a rapid rate, there is also more Dogues that need rescuing and falling into the wrong hands, the high price tag that our breed fetches is so alluring to byb's.

Benshiva, I imagine that it was probably Valdor that you are refering to.....what a teddy bear :o

Tohko is maturing very nicely :D .....is he a Laksman son?

Edited by tashnchief

While working at Frozen Puppies I got to meet a number of these. They really are the most lovely of dogs. One in particular was a massive male who was the sweetest thing. I love them :)

Ash thinks maybe that was Mack? who broke a record for matings from one collection? He was a big teddy bear.

P.S Tohkos daddy was napoleon :o

Edited by lic_82

Well they're very popular here in South Africa but it's done them, as a breed, no good at all. It seems everybody and his wife is now a Boerboel breeder and the breed here is well-known for major HD and ED problems as well as aggression. They are being bred, in the main, as guard dogs and it seems the more vicious and uncontrollable the parents are, the higher the asking price for pups. :laugh:

Ours are mostly tan, I can't remember ever seeing a brindled Boerboel. Also ours seem less like a mastiff than the one in your pic - but that might just be that I seldom see a proper one! :(

Yip saw loads of them when I lived back in South Africa, also never saw any brindle, they can be very protective and are good watch dogs which is why I think they are popular over there.

Well they're very popular here in South Africa but it's done them, as a breed, no good at all. It seems everybody and his wife is now a Boerboel breeder and the breed here is well-known for major HD and ED problems as well as aggression. They are being bred, in the main, as guard dogs and it seems the more vicious and uncontrollable the parents are, the higher the asking price for pups. :(

Ours are mostly tan, I can't remember ever seeing a brindled Boerboel. Also ours seem less like a mastiff than the one in your pic - but that might just be that I seldom see a proper one! :confused:

That's a real shame :rofl:

It happens in many breeds the world over, I breed Dogues and the popularity of this breed with BYB's is also putting our breed in trouble. Not for aggression but our breed is losing correct type at a rapid rate, there is also more Dogues that need rescuing and falling into the wrong hands, the high price tag that our breed fetches is so alluring to byb's.

Benshiva, I imagine that it was probably Valdor that you are refering to.....what a teddy bear :)

Tohko is maturing very nicely :rofl: .....is he a Laksman son?

That's him :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...