Satin Balls And Wheat Germ And Grain Intolerance

Fudo

Hello

Fudo is going through a quite extended coat blow at the moment (been going in dribs and drabs for about 8 weeks now as opposed to the usual shed like a demon for 4 weeks). Blowing his coat always puts him off his tucker and I reckon he's lost a few kilos during the last couple of weeks. As a result I decided that I would make him some satin balls.

Another thing is that I've only ever fed Fudo Orijen (grain free), Eagle Pack Holistic, Artemis Maximal (grain free) and Evo (grain free). Each time that I've tried him on the Eagle Pack he gets the squits (not really squits, but definitately not good consistency). That is by no means definitive I know, but as a result of that, I steer away from all grains, thinking that may be the issue with the Eagle Pack.

So....all the recipes I can find for satin balls have oats and wheat germ in them. I can just leave these things out I know, but does anyone know if wheat germ (remembering that wheat is supposed to be one of the "worst" grains for dogs) has the "bad stuff" taken out of it?

Thanks

ETA: I know what wheat germ is, i.e. the "embryo" of the seed, but does that mean that the "bad" part is gone?

Edited by Fudo

Not sure, I assume not but I'd suggest just give it a go, it only costs a couple of dollars, just feed a bit in some mince for a few days as well as his usual food and if he gets the squits just leave it out when you make up the satin balls. Simple :D

My vet or vet nurse once commented that the recipe for satin balls was pancreatitis waiting to happen!

I'd stick to lamb flaps, fatty human grade beef mince and chicken frames too - you can also add things like cottage cheese.

I use a mix of beef mince, sweet potato, cottage cheese and flaxseed for my boy who I struggle to keep weight on.

Hmmm....I know what you're saying about the recipe; didn't know about the pancreatitis though (don't know anything about it). Trouble is, all thos foods you've mentioned are all part of his normal food rotation. I made some satin balls but haven't given him any yet. I left out wheat germ and modified recipes I saw on the net to suit myself. Because he regularly eats lamb and chicken frames and turkey necks and sardines, I wanted something that was energy dense in a small parcel. The recipe I used was:

turkey mince

unsulphured molasses

flaxseed oil

cod liver oil

egg yolk

peanut paste

cream

rice bubbles (only enough to bind). I know the rice bubbles are a grain (maybe they are a cereal?), but the organic ones from the healthfood shop are just plain white rice and I know that he can tolerate white rice as I have given him that with chicken for an upset belly.

Again, don't know anything about pancreatitis, but this is no way to become a staple of his diet, just something to "boost". Still don't know if this is okay though considering the pancreatitis thing....

Thoughts?

ETA: Meaning that lamb and sardines etc are what he always eats and has currently been dropping weight while eating.

Edited by Fudo

I agree, never seen a satin ball recipe I liked, so never used them. Sometimes dogs are just leaner than other times, it can be healthy for a dog to be quite lean anyway.

It's interesting that you use turkey mince, I thought it was fairly lean? Wouldn't lamb mince be better?

Pancratitis is caused by too much fat in the diet, it is more common in some breeds than others.

Yep, hearing that too! Lamb was my first choice, but on New Years day they didn't have much choice; no lamb, and he won't look at beef. They had turkey and turkey mince and turkey necks are his favourite. So thats how we ended up with turkey mince! lol

Molasses has no fat btw. And insofar as his weight, yeah it prolly is my problem more than his, he would likely put it back on when he finishes his coat blow, its just that this blow has gone on so long. Given me stuff to think about though..

Eagle pack hollistic is well known to give loose stools.I had to put my young dog on this product for another reason & had to tolerate the loose stools until i could swap to my preferred brand.

i also found it didnt maintain a good weight even with other products feed

From Pet Deli there is a brand of BARF called something like Canine Country, they have a duck blend which is high fat, and some other high fat varietys. If you gave an EXTRA meal per day with one of these patties, alternating with a chicken wing every other day, it would be sure to put on some weight, and be healthy and balanced at the same time.

OK, this isn't working. We have drifted off topic; seems I should have detailed what his diet is to head off the toing and froing. Canine Country barf rolls are great; minced bone, fruit and vegies, kelp, whole egg, garlic, can't remember what else with no flavourings, colours or preservatives. He gets:

1/2 CC barf roll, 1 cup dry food (currently EVO, see the OP) mixed with 1 spoon natural yoghurt twice / day. Once a week sardines are added to this. Every second or third day one meal is replaced with RMB. I can't feed an extra meal per day as (since this coat blow commenced) he is not eating what is put in front of him, hence the weight loss and my thoughts for an energy dense supplement. He was never overweight to start with to have the weight to lose (tapered waist etc).

I think I'll just run with it, thanks for the suggestions.