Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Current on a waiting list for a beautiful brittany pup. It is driving me crazy. I know there are people ahead of me so there is no guarantee I will get one from the next litter.

I just keep learning more and more about the breed and keep learning about having the pup turn into a therapy / classroom dog. This will keep my brittany and myself very busy and will be very rewarding

Well, it looks like I might be able to join this thread once again ..... we are waiting for confirmation that our breeder's bitch is expecting babies and that we will be lucky enough to be able to bring one home. My calculation is that it would be roughly January before we have our puppy home and that's a loooooong wait!! At least this time there will be no 2am winter morning toilet visits .... this one is a summer baby!!

YM those winter nighttime toilet training visits are a bitch lol Wilbur came home early Aug & lordy it was cold!! This time round early Oct will be much more acceptable - not exactly Jan weather but better than August!! edited to add video https://vimeo.com/106250044 Boskyrhomb Laiken Scout

Edited by suziwong66

Current on a waiting list for a beautiful brittany pup. It is driving me crazy. I know there are people ahead of me so there is no guarantee I will get one from the next litter.

I just keep learning more and more about the breed and keep learning about having the pup turn into a therapy / classroom dog. This will keep my brittany and myself very busy and will be very rewarding

that's not always an issue so don't lose heart...if you build a good relationship with the breeder they often bump you because you've bothered to develop a relationship with them. This was the case for us with Wilbur; we kept in close contact with the breeder; short emails to touch base and engage in conversation etc. We wanted a boy; there were others ahead of us in the list that wanted boys but when the litter arrived and there was only one boy we were given preference smile.gif

that's not always an issue so don't lose heart...if you build a good relationship with the breeder they often bump you because you've bothered to develop a relationship with them. This was the case for us with Wilbur; we kept in close contact with the breeder; short emails to touch base and engage in conversation etc. We wanted a boy; there were others ahead of us in the list that wanted boys but when the litter arrived and there was only one boy we were given preference smile.gif

How do you keep in touch and form a good relationship without bothering them?

I have caught up with the lovely lady at 2 shows to see her beautiful dogs and and I took my husband with me to meet her and see the dogs as well. I was worried about contacting her too much. I sent her an email after the 1st show to thank her for taking the time to talk to me about her kennels and her breeding. She is a lovely lady and very easy to talk to

if she's easy to talk to and you genuinely like her then you're halfway there imo thumbsup1.gif - our breeder is just lovely too and the relationship clicked the first time i spoke to her on the phone (i'm in Adelaide and she's in Ballarat). Much of our first discussion was about the depth of my grieving after losing our 14yo labby boy and how i thought that our home was empty without a labby . She asked me to follow up via email and it gave me an opportunity to continue develop a relationship.

Over time we connected on facebook and via phone sms. Here we are three years later and we've still got a great relationship and another one of her puppies is coming to us in 3.5 weeks.

Once or twice a month just send your preferred breeder an email catching up or continue to catch up in person at shows every now and again - it shows you're committed and serious about her dogs and most breeders are very proud of their line. Perhaps if you're at a show and don't have any face-to-face contact, email her afterward and let her know you were there and comment on her dogs' performance etc

If you don't get a pup from the next litter and are prepared to wait for the following litter, ask her to keep you abreast of the litter's progress with a photo when she's sending pics to the chosen owners and certainly let her know that you're in for the long haul and are willing to wait.

If she agrees to send litter pics then that gives you a chance to send follow up emails on how lovely the litter is.

if she's easy to talk to and you genuinely like her then you're halfway there imo thumbsup1.gif - our breeder is just lovely too and the relationship clicked the first time i spoke to her on the phone (i'm in Adelaide and she's in Ballarat). Much of our first discussion was about the depth of my grieving after losing our 14yo labby boy and how i thought that our home was empty without a labby . She asked me to follow up via email and it gave me an opportunity to continue develop a relationship.

The same happened to me with Horrible Herbert's breeder. She was actually on the way to the airport in Brisbane to send a puppy to Perth. Yet, she had time to console me.

It's such a plus to have a bond with the breeder.

:love:

Thanks Vizslamomma im so happy with her. it just goes to show it DOES pay to wait for the right pup :)

it's SUCH a wonderful thing to happen.

We get a beautiful puppy to cherish & bring up AND make friends with a person whose values match ours.

So happy for you

Edited by VizslaMomma

Thanks Vizslamomma im so happy with her. it just goes to show it DOES pay to wait for the right pup :)

it's SUCH a wonderful thing to happen.

We get a beautiful puppy to cherish & bring up AND make friends with a person whose values match ours.

So happy for you

thank you!! i am over the moon excited!! meeting the breeder and her dogs made everything that much better. i am soooo happy with her her dogs temperaments, conditions they live in and everything else! yay, so happy i didn't settle for another one that didnt feel right!

Suziwong66 thanks for your advice on talking to my chosen breeder. Wrote a nice little email to her and she wrote back with a really friendly reply. She also sent another email a couple of days later with an interesting article for me. I know it is strange because I don't really know the lady from a grain of salt but I love hearing how her dogs are, it just fills me with hope that I will have a beautiful pup from her one day