What Breeds Have Rear Dew Claws?

Kirty

I have a little foster here who has rear dew claws. They are those horrible, detached ones that flop around (they will come off when she is desexed). Just wondering where these might have come from? She definitely has some BC in her, but is smaller and lighter in build.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen BC crosses with them but don't know what other cross is. Also seen rottie with double dew claws (floppy ones). In some breeds it's in the standard that they have back dew claws. I don't think I've ever seen the non floppy ones on back legs though!

No, I don't think so. I know the working dogs like Kelpies and BCs don't have them. I know Rotties do but she ain't go no Rottie in her! LOL! Or Akita! :D

Rottys shouldn't have rear dew claws - it's a fault in our standard :thumbsup: They might pop up every now and then, but they aren't the accepted norm. I can't even remember the last time we had a pup born with rear dew claws.

Are you supposed to remove them? Why is that?

**Not being a smart arse, I am just clueless on the topic of rear dew claws**

From what I understand, rear dew claws are only attached to the leg by a bit of flesh and easy to tear off in an accident. Ouch!

I have an aussie that is 12 months old and he has dew claws on the back feet. He was the only one in the litter with them and we didnt even really notice until he was a week old and it was too late to nip them off. If he needs any vet stuff later he will have them taken off then.

JRT are usually born with dew claws and occassionally i have seen GSD's with them.

They are often not much of a problem but it is often best to get rid of them especially in some of the working breeds.

Are you supposed to remove them? Why is that?

**Not being a smart arse, I am just clueless on the topic of rear dew claws**

From what I understand, rear dew claws are only attached to the leg by a bit of flesh and easy to tear off in an accident. Ouch!

Alot that have them are like that, but not all. Some have them with bone and tendons much like the front dew claws.

I have an aussie that is 12 months old and he has dew claws on the back feet. He was the only one in the litter with them and we didnt even really notice until he was a week old and it was too late to nip them off. If he needs any vet stuff later he will have them taken off then.

JRT are usually born with dew claws and occassionally i have seen GSD's with them.

They are often not much of a problem but it is often best to get rid of them especially in some of the working breeds.

I've heard of a couple of Aussie litters were one or two pups er litter had rear dew claws.