What Breeds Have Rear Dew Claws?

Kirty

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't think so. I know the working dogs like Kelpies and BCs don't have them. I know Rotties do but she ain't go no Rottie in her! LOL! Or Akita! :D

All the working kelpies we have had, have had them. it is one of the first things we used to get the vet to remove. As they used to cause problems when jumping in and out of the sheep yards. Mind you ours were just born on properties and not registered.

I know pyrenean mountain dogs often have a double one.

Cavs can occasionally have rear dew claws. I would remove them when I do the front.

Our griffon has two rear dew claws that the breeder did not see. They are not attached and also curl around. They will be remove when she has her hernia repared. but if that fixes will get them done as they are not attached.

We have a litter of mini Foxie cross pups (4 pups) - one of them has double rear dewclaws - but the bigger shock was that she is brindle... lol! We'll get those back dewclaws removed when she gets desexed. Her sister and 2 brothers don't have black dewclaws - 2 look like foxies, and the other looks like a little black scruffy thing... *grin*

I can't wait to see what shape the brindle pup turns out to be - imagine a brindle minie foxie. She is a really nice mahogany brindle too - simply gorgeous!

T.

My kelpie x shepherd had them and one got torn off while he was playing. It was really painful for him as it tore the skin quite a bit and he ended up with six stitches.

My current rescue dog has ridgeback and is possibly crossed with GSD or kelpie and he has two back dew claws that were supposed to be removed when he was desexed but weren't unfortunately. I will definately get them taken off if he ever has to have another general again.

As already said, many breeds and crosses can have the odd pup born with dew claws on all four legs, and some even with doubles. A few breeds are meant to have rear dew claws including Italian Spinone and Bracco Italiano. I doubt your foster is a cross of those though :champagne:

I had a black Kelpiex (very very kelpie looking) that came from a shelter as a pup. She had back dew claws that we eventually got removed as the nails were angled into her leg. Even if they grew a tiny bit, it agrivated the skin under them. Anyway, the vet said they would take them off no problem under G.A as they were only attached by skin however it turned into a much bigger op as he found out they were attached to bone and muscle as well!!!! Poor girl had quite a few weeks of bandages and long suture lines down both legs. The vet did say that he had never seen dew claws attached like that before!

No, I don't think so. I know the working dogs like Kelpies and BCs don't have them. I know Rotties do but she ain't go no Rottie in her! LOL! Or Akita! :champagne:

Year ago I had a Border Collie/Kelpie X that had rear dewclaws and I have had Australian Shepherd pups born with rear dewclaws.

No, I don't think so. I know the working dogs like Kelpies and BCs don't have them. I know Rotties do but she ain't go no Rottie in her! LOL! Or Akita! :champagne:

Border collies can definitely have them and they're usually removed soon after birth. On of my current BCs had them when he was born and his sister had a litter last year where some of the pups had them. If left on they can get caught and tear easily because they are so floppy which is why they are removed from most active breeds.

I know the working dogs like Kelpies and BCs don't have them.

Kirty, guess you haven't seen many working Kelpies or BCs..... rear dew claws are very common in these breeds.

But you know pics are mandatory, don't you :champagne:

Edited by trifecta

Briards are required to have double dewclaws on the hind legs, and they MUST be sturdy and well attached- they are used when working on mountains/rocky areas etc. Beaucerons are the same.

However most hind dew claws seem to be the flimsy ones attached by skin only and they should be removed ASAP so they don't catch. I know of one oodle who was being groomed and had one nearly sliced clean off because no one knew it existed... Ouch.

I used to get some puppies in each litter of Border Collies with rear dew claws, ranging from loose small ones, to well attached doubles. They should be removed at about 2-3 days, but the front dew claws are usually left on BCs.

My later litters never had rear dew claws and I believe they are inherited as a dominant trait. If one of the parents were born with them, some of the puppies will have them but if neither parent was born with them none of the puppies have them. I always take note of which ones do for future reference when breeding.

Thanks for all the info. It was actually a man who bred working Kelpies that told me they don't have them! Dingoes also don't have them, and I was told if they do have them, they can't be pure Dingoes.

I suspect this girl may have some Beagle (plus a million other things) in her. Will get some pics tomorrow. :rofl:

DSC_2586.JPG

Her is the girl Kirty is talking about. Personally I don't see anything but BC in her, either in looks or temp. She looks like any other working BC you would see at a sheep trial to me :rofl: .

Like others, I have seen quite a few working breeds with rear dewclaws.

Thanks for all the info. It was actually a man who bred working Kelpies that told me they don't have them! Dingoes also don't have them, and I was told if they do have them, they can't be pure Dingoes.

I suspect this girl may have some Beagle (plus a million other things) in her. Will get some pics tomorrow. :rofl:

The reality is any dog can be born with rear dew claws, it just happens. Breeders of those breeds that do require them, remove them shortly after birth. Some breeders may never have seen them, some have seen a few it is just one of those things.

I see them lots on a wide variety of pet shop and byb bred mutts that I groom, there are a PITA if you don't know they are there on the fluffys.

Using rear dew claws as a form of breed ID would be pointless.

ETA we took rear dew claws off 2 PB Kelpie pups a while back, any breed can have them pop up.

Edited by Crisovar