Dogs Fighting Over Food *help*

Hey everyone

I have 2 labradores one is 3 1/2 and the other is nearly 2, both are male and are desexed, they are both very well behaved dogs and extreamly friendly. They are always happy to see people and other dogs, are good around kids (except some excited tails which can whip around abit ha ha) and never show any sort of aggresion

When feeding them i have spent time patting them (especailly around there faces) i have stopped them from eating by holding them and also taken there food away after they have started eating. i have done all these things so that they are used to having people around while eating and wont bother them if these things happen. I have 3 young kids living at my place and they love to feed the dogs with me.

the problem i am having is, i feed the 2 dogs seperatly some times 10 meters apart other times 3-4 meters apart. if i stay out there and make sure they stay at there own piles there is no problem, but if i go to fill up there drinking bowls or go inside they like to swap (the grass is always greener right). If they have mostly finished there pile and the other one comes over there is normally a growl and they change and everyone is happy.

Some times the older dog (who normally eats a little slower) if he is not finished when the younger dog comes over to steal his food instead of backing down he tries to defend his food and the younger dog will Attack him really bad. the other day he had the older dog on his back and punchered 2 holes in his ear! i really hate seeing this happen as i dont want either of my dogs getting hurt especially by each other.

Is there anything i can do? any tricks or training i can go threw to stop them fighting over there food?

sorry for the big post i just want to give as much info as possible, all help is appreciated

Thankyou

Can I suggest crate training? You buy a crate for each of them and teach them to be locked in there to eat and not come out untill they are finished dinner.

Once they are done, they don't get anymore food.

Sorry; dont have much advice, but i have never heard good things about taking food away from a dog when you've already allowed the dog to eat. It's teasing and teaching them to be protective scoffers.

Dogs should be able to eat in peace, feed them seperately....so they can't get to one another, different parts of the house etc.

If you want them to eat together you could tether them so they can't get to each other.

Many middle of the road dogs can eat quite happily around another dog they live with and some have stronger personalities and will try it on and then all hell breaks out.

Why do you find it acceptable for the older dog to back down, the older dog should be able to eat in peace? The older dog should be able to tell the other dog to bugger off, perhaps it's your younger one that isn't listening to the older dogs warning and being a bully.

When it comes to dogs I don't believe in setting them up for faliure.

Edited by sas

Yes you have two closely matched male dogs ... you need to train them that to bowls and food are yours, when they are done with it THATS IT and there is nothing to go grab.

i have stopped them from eating by holding them and also taken there food away after they have started eating.

This can increase desperation for food. I wouldnt do it anymore at all, leave them be when they eat

I use following method

- tether dogs far apart, and I mean quite far

- each dog sits and waits for it's food, no one is fed until they are both quiet

- feed the dogs, and when they are finished remove the bowls completely, wait for them to calm down, praise and do a gentle release (ie dont razz them up)

What you gradually do is as the dogs relax more, move them slowly closer and closer. NEVER tether and allow them to be able to touch nose to nose! You need to make sure you are rewarding for calm behavior, and I mean really chilled out. DO not punish or shout at them if they are excited, just wait until they're both quiet on their tethers and then it's food time.

What you are teaching the dogs is

1) both dogs have the same rules

2) blocking the stealing option

3) to eat with the other one around but conditioning the behavior you want around food

4) The food and bowls are yours to control, not the dogs

I followed Nekhbets method and I have to dogs that now race to their food spots and sit, once food is over they lay down and just wait for me to release them, they then move off calmly and have a drink.

It has worked wonderfully I had to either crate one out of sight, or risk a huge fight.

I also had a dominant bitch pee in the food bowls or on the spot the food was, She does not anymore.

Hey everyone

When feeding them i have spent time patting them (especailly around there faces) i have stopped them from eating by holding them and also taken there food away after they have started eating. i have done all these things so that they are used to having people around while eating and wont bother them if these things happen. I have 3 young kids living at my place and they love to feed the dogs with me.

the problem i am having is, i feed the 2 dogs seperatly some times 10 meters apart other times 3-4 meters apart. if i stay out there and make sure they stay at there own piles there is no problem, but if i go to fill up there drinking bowls or go inside they like to swap (the grass is always greener right). If they have mostly finished there pile and the other one comes over there is normally a growl and they change and everyone is happy.

Some times the older dog (who normally eats a little slower) if he is not finished when the younger dog comes over to steal his food instead of backing down he tries to defend his food and the younger dog will Attack him really bad. the other day he had the older dog on his back and punchered 2 holes in his ear! i really hate seeing this happen as i dont want either of my dogs getting hurt especially by each other.

You mention the dogs food piles. These dogs should be eating out of their own food bowls, not from piles of food on the ground. Buy two food bowls and feed your dogs from their own bowl. Place each bowl in the same place every day so each dog knows where to sit and wait for their meal. Food lying around on the ground belongs to no one and is there for the taking.

As a food issue has developed you need to strictly supervise mealtimes. Your dogs probably need to be tethered when they eat or feed them inside in separate rooms to prevent them from stealing eachothers food. They've learned their food is not safe because it's been taken away before so it's likely it will happen again. Taking food away after you have given it to them teaches them to guard their food.

There's no reason to expect the older dog to back down when the young one tries to steal his food. He should be allowed to eat in peace. Stop the younger dog from approaching the older one until he's finished eating or you'll be paying vet fees to patch up their injuries.

I don't interfere with my dogs food when they're eating. They sit in front of their bowls until I give them the ok to eat. They're fed in the kitchen and they don't approach eachothers food bowls.

They're not bothered by people around them or by me putting my hand near the bowl to drop in something extra (never to take food away). I've never taken food away so they know their food is safe.

Can I suggest crate training? You buy a crate for each of them and teach them to be locked in there to eat and not come out untill they are finished dinner.

Once they are done, they don't get anymore food.

Sorry; dont have much advice, but i have never heard good things about taking food away from a dog when you've already allowed the dog to eat. It's teasing and teaching them to be protective scoffers.

I totally agree. I have three dogs (1 female and 2 males) and I use crates - we've never had an argument. I use the crates for bones as well. In the end it's the most secure and safest method when feeding numerous dogs :laugh:

thankyou every one for your imput

On a whole they are pretty good, they are made to sit and dont start eating till i say there names, i feed them apart but not tied up

its not always the younger one who comes over trying to steal food the older one does it just as much, its just seems that when the younger one does it and the older one does not want to back down this is when the fights start

i was wanting to teach them not to bit anyone if there food was touched, i will stop those things because it sounds like it makes it worse

i scater the food on the groud because i was once told that dogs are natural scavenges and when you feed them in a bowl they just scoff it down which is not nateral for them.

so i should have bowls instead?

i will try tieing them up as they eat and rewarding them as you sugested

thankyou every one for your imput

so i should have bowls instead?

i will try tieing them up as they eat and rewarding them as you sugested

Yes definately have bowls. I always feed my old dog first, and pups out of site or older dog s scoffs. I have my pups seperated, but I will teather and supervise when feeding when they are older, I will still feed the older dog first though, you definately don't want scraps happening when you have small children as they could get in the way and that's when dogs get blamed for accidents.

you definately don't want scraps happening when you have small children as they could get in the way and that's when dogs get blamed for accidents.

As much as i hate seeing my dogs hurt each other this is my main concern, i never leave the kids out with the dogs alone.

Another quick question, i feed the older dog first because the "top dog" eats first "right? Now if the younger dog is going to be more dominate and become "top dog" how do i dealize this? and how do you let it happen?

or are labradores not of a "pack" mentality that this matters

Another quick question, i feed the older dog first because the "top dog" eats first "right? Now if the younger dog is going to be more dominate and become "top dog" how do i dealize this? and how do you let it happen?

Well I don't actually buy into this "top dog eats first" but if this is what you follow then YOU surely are the top dog so YOU eat first?? If you feel there is considerable rivalry between the pair then IMO the way of solving the issue is to make yourself the leader, so they don't need to be.

I feed the dogs in their crates. That way I know that everyone has had the correct amount, easy to see if someone is off their food, no intimidating others off their food or fighting, and I can make it another short training session :crossfingers: . I feed Diesel first simply because he is the slowest eater and gets the most food being the biggest, so hopefully they finish around the same time.

If it makes you feel any better I have 3 cats and they still get fed separately to avoid spats :crossfingers: One is even locked up when my Dalmatian has dinner so, despite the kitten and dog being best of friends, the kitten doesn't create a problem by trying to pinch his food.

The other thing you could do if the younger dog eats more quickly and has energy to burn is to let the old dog eat in peace (even in the laundry) and use the youngster's dinner as training rewards OR give him his food in a treat ball/cube. Not everyone has the time, I know, but it works really well for me and the bonus is that my dog realises that all good things come from me and he doesn't feel threatened if I need to take something off him in a hurry.

As for kids, yep - crates are a great option. I did mean for the dogs :eek:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

You treat dogs equally. Do not assume older means in charge. YOU are the one in charge and dogs are bottom of the pile, unequalise two male dogs and they will fight. Humans top, dogs bottom and you own and control all resources.

Put their food in bowls only, not scattering on the ground. Food only in the bowl, no bowl means no food. Scattering can also mean they go over for more as they cannot see an 'allocated portion' for them, and then one needs to be possessive over his little corner.

All dogs have a pack mentality. To what degree they are willing to muscle for this depends on sex, maturity and breed.

Just a word of warning about feeding in crates...if your dogs like to check each others bowls when they are done, make sure that all the food is in fact finished or you close the gate when each has finished. The only fight mine have ever had over food happened b/c Noah left his crate & apparently a bit of food in it. Zeus went in to check it out and was trapped in there when Noah came back. Zeus had no choice but to defend himself, there was nowhere for him to go. Luckily, they were responsive to me when I yelled & it didn't last long or cause any damage.

Just a word of warning about feeding in crates...if your dogs like to check each others bowls when they are done, make sure that all the food is in fact finished or you close the gate when each has finished. The only fight mine have ever had over food happened b/c Noah left his crate & apparently a bit of food in it. Zeus went in to check it out and was trapped in there when Noah came back. Zeus had no choice but to defend himself, there was nowhere for him to go. Luckily, they were responsive to me when I yelled & it didn't last long or cause any damage.

It's always a good idea to remove the bowl (and any bits of food left over) when letting your dog out of their crate. I always close the crate again as they only access their crate at night to sleep in :thumbsup:

Put their food in bowls only, not scattering on the ground. Food only in the bowl, no bowl means no food. Scattering can also mean they go over for more as they cannot see an 'allocated portion' for them, and then one needs to be possessive over his little corner.

Do you recommend this for single dogs too? I always thought that scattering a dogs meal through your backyard before leaving for the day gives them something to do and keeps their minds entertained. Obviously if you have more than one you would never do this as it could cause guarding and fights, but what about one non-food aggressive dog?

for a single dog, scattering can make them look for it I dont see an issue with it. If another dog visits just watch the behavior, some dogs will run over to where they found 'pockets' of food. I like food dispensing toys better then scattering anyway, it's a bit more of a challenge then being a canine hoover :thumbsup: if you want to be a real pov then a 1.25L lemonade bottle with some kibble in it, leave the lid off and squish it into a bend in the middle :) Everlasting Treat Balls by Triple Crown get a big thumbs up from me too :rofl: