Eucalyptus Oil And Dogs

Just wondering if its safe to use eucalyptus oil on dogs?

im going to try rubbing her down with a damp warm towel and a few drops of eucalyptus oil instead of the usual shampoo methods.

Also can you groom short haired breeds? and if so what type of brush is recommended.

I seem to remember some posts about it being toxic in dogs (I think Trisven13 was having issues with her dog and some people suggested it might be because she mops the floor with it). It is very strong stuff and could burn?

You can use a natural herbal wash instead, something simple you can make up yourself - like Rosemary tea which apparently also helps to keep down fleas. Just make the tea, add it to some warm water and then dampen the towel with that. I wouldn't use Eucalyptus oil.

I use a rinse on my adult dogs that contains a capful of eucalyptus, tea tree and lavendar oil diluted in about 7-8 litres of water - i don't put it over their head though.

It seems ok for them although i don't think I'd use it on a pup - as the other posters have stated it's powerful stuff - I'd only ever use it very heavily diluted.

Shannon Lush - queen of clean, suggests using mint tea - the sort you get in teabags, made into tea and wiping the dog down with that. Though you could probably use fresh tea too, ie stuff a handful in a pot and pour boiling water over. It's supposed to repel fleas. Good for misting over dog bedding too. I doubt it kills fleas though.

Eucalyptus oil, I have used in tiny amounts to stop the dog from sniffing/digging/counter surfing, same as vicks vapour rub. If the dog consumes a large amount eg teaspoonfull it will probably make the dog sick. Eucalyptus oil can melt and dissolve some plastics. I wouldn't apply it undiluted on my dog.

Nor lavender oil. I use half a teaspoon in a litre of water with half a cup of vinegar to clean hard surfaces like the bath and toilet but not for the dog.

I use johnsons & johnsons baby shampoo and conditioner on the dog. And revolution flea spot on.

Most oils such as lavender, Eucalypt, Tea Tree are very potent and concentrated. I would be reluctant to use any of these oils on my dog, especially on a regular basis.

Edited by spottychick

Wasn't there a big hoo ha years ago about people using Eucalyptus wool wash on their dogs and it turned out to be poisonous to them, apparently it built up over time and wrecked the dogs kidneys.

I'm not sure if it was on Burkes Backyard or something like that as it was years ago and my memory is nothing like it used to be.

Would citronella oil be a good alternative - the human kind not the torch kind :)

Wasn't there a big hoo ha years ago about people using Eucalyptus wool wash on their dogs and it turned out to be poisonous to them, apparently it built up over time and wrecked the dogs kidneys.

I'm not sure if it was on Burkes Backyard or something like that as it was years ago and my memory is nothing like it used to be.

Would citronella oil be a good alternative - the human kind not the torch kind :rainbowbridge:

I have used wool wash to wash the ponies with for about 30 years with no ill effects :rainbowbridge: .......................

but what exactly is your reasoning for wanting to use eucalyptus oil, I'm sure someone would be able to suggest something better (fleas, allergies etc) :rainbowbridge:

Would citronella oil be a good alternative - the human kind not the torch kind :rainbowbridge:

I have used wool wash to wash the ponies with for about 30 years with no ill effects :rainbowbridge: .......................

but what exactly is your reasoning for wanting to use eucalyptus oil, I'm sure someone would be able to suggest something better (fleas, allergies etc) :rainbowbridge:

no fleas or allergies, weather is just cold and i didnet want to wash the dog outside like usally, so i thought just a quick rub down with a warm towel and some oil for a nice smell.

We have been using Eucalyptus oil for ever, and the breeder we first bought our samoyed off did too (I do know of many Sammy people that do). But A Sammy's fur is a little different to a short coated breed.

We use this when dry bathing, involves a slightly warm facewasher/towel with a little bit of eucalyptus oil rub all over the dog, rub a little baby powder in and brush... then you have a sparkling white Samoyed :rainbowbridge: I was able to show my girl for 9 weeks using this method without putting her in the bath... and you couldn't tell the difference, she is perfectly happy and had no reaction at all.

And I have ever found a flee on my dogs yet!

Edited by Kelza