Puppy Vaccination Schedule

I am confused regarding the best puppy vaccination schedule against Parvo and have been getting some conflicting advice. My GSD puppy is 12 weeks old, had his C3 at 6 weeks and just had his C5 which the vet considers substantial protection until his 12 month booster.

Many recommend an additional 16 week vaccination as the antibodies from the puppies mother can still effect the 12 week vaccination providing proper immunisation???. Our vet dismissed this suggestion claiming that the type or brand of vaccine they use doesn't need it repeated at 16 weeks???.

I have read several accounts where puppies have had their 6 and 12 week shots but contracted Parvo and died from the virus around 5 or 6 months old that was perceived as being preventable had they had a booster administered at 16 weeks??? I am interested to hear some thoughts an opinions regarding puppy immunisation :D

We do the 16wk shot because of what you mentioned also - have heard of puppies who contracted parvo at ~6months who finished at 12wks. Maybe those puppies were never going to seroconvert properly, who knows, but we'd rather be safe than sorry. so it's 8, 12, 16wks for us, then another 12months later then 3 years after that.

Personally I only did C3's for puppy shots but I've never had to board Orbit and his obedience schools accepted C3's. He's had KC once but it was very mild.

In the Uk we use a brand of vaccine that isn't affected by mothers antibodies. Vax done at 8 weeks and 11 weeks and then next one at 15 months.

Yes, I have heard of such a vaccine here...........I will check and find out what specific vaccine our vet uses. It annoys me when asking questions at the vet, like is it best to have the 16 week booster also and they treat you like an idiot :D "This is how we do it" answers doesn't mean that regime is best for the puppy :thumbsup:

Edited by Black Bronson

I am confused regarding the best puppy vaccination schedule against Parvo and have been getting some conflicting advice. My GSD puppy is 12 weeks old, had his C3 at 6 weeks and just had his C5 which the vet considers substantial protection until his 12 month booster.

Many recommend an additional 16 week vaccination as the antibodies from the puppies mother can still effect the 12 week vaccination providing proper immunisation???. Our vet dismissed this suggestion claiming that the type or brand of vaccine they use doesn't need it repeated at 16 weeks???.

I have read several accounts where puppies have had their 6 and 12 week shots but contracted Parvo and died from the virus around 5 or 6 months old that was perceived as being preventable had they had a booster administered at 16 weeks??? I am interested to hear some thoughts an opinions regarding puppy immunisation :thumbsup:

Hi Black Bronson,

It needs to be understood that their are different vaccines made by manufacturers and there are indeed ones than can be administered safely twice only with no need for a 3rd at 16wks as they specifically get through the dams antibodies. So if you go to your vet and he gives say a Protech C3 at 6-8 wks and then another 4 weeks later that is all that is needed. Other vets use vaccines which require three shots to provide full immunity. So trust your vet he has told you that brand does not require a 3rd 16 week vaccination as he knows the brand used.

I have read several accounts where puppies have had their 6 and 12 week shots but contracted Parvo and died from the virus around 5 or 6 months old that was perceived as being preventable had they had a booster administered at 16 weeks??? I am interested to hear some thoughts an opinions regarding puppy immunisation :thumbsup:

Hi Black Bronson,

It needs to be understood that their are different vaccines made by manufacturers and there are indeed ones than can be administered safely twice only with no need for a 3rd at 16wks as they specifically get through the dams antibodies. So if you go to your vet and he gives say a Protech C3 at 6-8 wks and then another 4 weeks later that is all that is needed. Other vets use vaccines which require three shots to provide full immunity. So trust your vet he has told you that brand does not require a 3rd 16 week vaccination as he knows the brand used.

Sorry, but you wouldn't get me to touch Fort Dodge Vaccines with a 40ft pole after the class actions they have out against them.

Guest belgian.blue
Sorry, but you wouldn't get me to touch Fort Dodge Vaccines with a 40ft pole after the class actions they have out against them.

I'm curious as to why not?

My Pointer was done at 6 weeks with Protech C4 and is getting done at 12 weeks [this Tuesday] don't know what they use as I have never been there before so I'm looking forward to meeting them.

There has been parvo going around here at the moment. I don't feel concerned for my puppy as he's a very healthy strong boy who hasn't been bombarded with vaccines and chemicals to kill fleas etc.

But I'm rather unsure if I should give him a 16 week vacc also? Ofcourse I will ask the vet Tuesday.

I have read several accounts where puppies have had their 6 and 12 week shots but contracted Parvo and died from the virus around 5 or 6 months old that was perceived as being preventable had they had a booster administered at 16 weeks??? I am interested to hear some thoughts an opinions regarding puppy immunisation :D

Hi Black Bronson,

Thanks Chocolate, I am fine with that if it's the case with certain vaccine brands etc, but the concern are the puppies also under vet advice with two shot vaccines that contracted Parvo and died around 6 months of age :thumbsup: I don't know what vaccines were used in these cases, perhaps they were 3 shot vaccines only administered twice, but I know of several cases of Parvo with puppies vaccinated at 6 & 12 week finals shots, the same regime my puppy is on???.

I'm curious as to why not?

My Pointer was done at 6 weeks with Protech C4 and is getting done at 12 weeks [this Tuesday] don't know what they use as I have never been there before so I'm looking forward to meeting them.

There has been parvo going around here at the moment. I don't feel concerned for my puppy as he's a very healthy strong boy who hasn't been bombarded with vaccines and chemicals to kill fleas etc.

But I'm rather unsure if I should give him a 16 week vacc also? Ofcourse I will ask the vet Tuesday.

That's the concern, where some vets recommend the 16 week vaccination is necessary and others say that the 12 week "should" be adequate. I don't want my puppy being the one that the 12 week final wasn't adequate enough for him :thumbsup:

Edited by Black Bronson

Guest Tess32

Why don't you just titer test two weeks after the 12 week vacc, and then you can be sure your puppy seroconverted? Even if you vaccinate at 16 weeks there's no actual guarantee your puppy is immune to parvo.

I should probably add here that given that the majority of my puppies go to pet homes, I recommend (in conjunction with my vet) that they at LEAST follow the 8, 12, 16 week vaccination schedule and then from thereafter, follow their own vet's recommendations.

I find it a lot easier for pet owners to have a set schedule to follow. What they do after that is their own lookout.

I personally ALWAYS make sure that the puppies which stay here get at least the 8 and 12 week vaccinations but am not as "vigilant" after that and thus far, haven't had an issue. I also do not routinely vaccinate all of my dogs every 12 months.

In the Uk we use a brand of vaccine that isn't affected by mothers antibodies. Vax done at 8 weeks and 11 weeks and then next one at 15 months.

Yes, I have heard of such a vaccine here...........I will check and find out what specific vaccine our vet uses. It annoys me when asking questions at the vet, like is it best to have the 16 week booster also and they treat you like an idiot :eek: "This is how we do it" answers doesn't mean that regime is best for the puppy :thumbsup:

Well that's obviously what they think is best if that's what they do? :D They're hardly going to tell you they think it's best to finish at 12 weeks, but tell you to finish at 16wks.

Guest belgian.blue
Why don't you just titer test two weeks after the 12 week vacc, and then you can be sure your puppy seroconverted? Even if you vaccinate at 16 weeks there's no actual guarantee your puppy is immune to parvo.

You can after the 12 week vacc? I always thought you could only do it after their 16 week. Something else to chat to with the vet, thanks :laugh:

You can after the 12 week vacc? I always thought you could only do it after their 16 week. Something else to chat to with the vet, thanks :laugh:

BB. My boy had his puppy vacc at 6 weeks and then again at about 12 weeks. I didn't do a 3rd vacc, because I thought I was doing the right thing. But it seems I got it a bit mixed up. Fast track a bit and I'm 'talking' with Dr. Jean Dodds, she told me that had his 2nd puppy vacc been after 14 weeks of age, I wouldn't need to go for the annual booster, but because he had his before 14wo, she recommended that I do the one annual booster at 15mo.

I had intended to do that, thinking that his earlier health issues would have been well and truly in hand and he'd be well and strong come the 15mo mark. But that wasn't to be the case so I didn't go ahead with the booster.

What I did instead was have him titred, even though this was 12 months on from his last puppy vacc. Results showed sufficient level of antibodies, even though he'd had 2 x puppy vacc and not 3, and even though the 2nd vacc was at 12wo.

Don't know if this info is any help to you working things out in your mind? :rofl:

Edited by Erny

Yes, I have heard of such a vaccine here...........I will check and find out what specific vaccine our vet uses. It annoys me when asking questions at the vet, like is it best to have the 16 week booster also and they treat you like an idiot ;) "This is how we do it" answers doesn't mean that regime is best for the puppy :laugh:

Well that's obviously what they think is best if that's what they do? :rofl: They're hardly going to tell you they think it's best to finish at 12 weeks, but tell you to finish at 16wks.

What they do and what's best can be two different things???. I have already had a Coccidia mis-diagnosis and incorrectly treated because "that's what they do" with puppy diarreha. What they do with puppy diarreha doesn't work with Coccidia and the puppy ends up in emergency care on a drip after passing blood and dehydrating because they don't look outside the square ;)

Guest belgian.blue

BB. My boy had his puppy vacc at 6 weeks and then again at about 12 weeks. I didn't do a 3rd vacc, because I thought I was doing the right thing. But it seems I got it a bit mixed up. Fast track a bit and I'm 'talking' with Dr. Jean Dodds, she told me that had his 2nd puppy vacc been after 14 weeks of age, I wouldn't need to go for the annual booster, but because he had his before 14wo, she recommended that I do the one annual booster at 15mo.

I had intended to do that, thinking that his earlier health issues would have been well and truly in hand and he'd be well and strong come the 15mo mark. But that wasn't to be the case so I didn't go ahead with the booster.

What I did instead was have him titred, even though this was 12 months on from his last puppy vacc. Results showed sufficient level of antibodies, even though he'd had 2 x puppy vacc and not 3, and even though the 2nd vacc was at 12wo.

Don't know if this info is any help to you working things out in your mind? :rofl:

Massive help! I feel my first Pointer died too early from an overdose of pointless chemicals [she had cancer] so I want to do the best by my two furkids now. I know Badgers breeder doesn't suggest giving her puppies their 16 week and she has been a fantastic breeder and I give her really high regards as Badger is a stunning little man.

Thanks a lot Erny ;)