Kennels In Adelaide?

westiemum

Anyone recommend a good kennel for an elderly doberman in Adelaide anywhere?

Any thoughts or advice really appreciated.

Edited to delete the 'southern' requirement!

Edited by westiemum

unfortunately no.

I don't really have family or friends that I could send my boy to and I don't think he would cope in a kennel. I like the sound of 'don't fret pets' but for the 3 weeks we are going to be away for at the end of the year would just be so expensive.

I so wish there was a sort of "swap" doggie-sit situation where you look after someones dog in return for them looking after yours. I guess thats what friends and family do but in my situation everyone is either dogless, has little dogs or just aren't GSP savvy :thumbsup:

The boarding kennels at Plympton Vet clinic are great and the dogs get lots of personal attention (on ANZAC Highway) depending on how far south you are looking I hear there are also some good ones down near mclaren vale would have to dig a name and number up for you though

Thanks everyone. These friends of mine are going away for 34 days - and are really anxious that their beloved goes somewhere comfy and warm!

Will investigate Plymptom - thanks grabit - any other suggestions anyone?

There was a write up on one in the Sunday Mail a few months back. It was a really upmarket pet resort but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called :laugh: I think there was a thread about it though..

There was a write up on one in the Sunday Mail a few months back. It was a really upmarket pet resort but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called :thumbsup: I think there was a thread about it though..

I think that could be Adelaide Hills Pet Resort? If so i think that's situated in Nairne.

There is a company called Hounds at Home that i looked into for Bomber around Christmas time last year. They either look after your dog at your own home or they have people that welcome the dog into their own home. Phone number is 8337 6115. I believe they cover all of Adelaide. :mad

• 2 weeks later...

We just picked up our doggies on Monday after leaving them for 34 days while we were in UK/France. They have come home happy, healthy and smelling delicious! I was very nervous about leaving them as I wanted someone with good Labrador experience that would also manage a very princessy Dalmatian who very much feels the cold. They stayed at Bencubbin (they are Lab breeders as well) and we were very happy with the price and care that they got. We had also left them for two nights a couple of months ago to see how they coped and make sure we were happy with our choice and we definitely were.

Any concerns we had were dealt with ie I was worried that Delilah would be cold outside at night as she struggles with the cold weather and is used to sleeping inside so they had them sleep inside at night in crates just as they were used to. They have been good as gold since they came home and I could tell by the way the dogs acted around Darryl when we picked them up that they enjoyed playing with him, he was also able to tell us some interesting insights into Sam and Delilah's relationship that only someone who spends time with them would know so we knew he had been interacting with them enough.

Thanks Zebette - will pass that on.

We just picked up our doggies on Monday after leaving them for 34 days while we were in UK/France. They have come home happy, healthy and smelling delicious! I was very nervous about leaving them as I wanted someone with good Labrador experience that would also manage a very princessy Dalmatian who very much feels the cold. They stayed at Bencubbin (they are Lab breeders as well) and we were very happy with the price and care that they got. We had also left them for two nights a couple of months ago to see how they coped and make sure we were happy with our choice and we definitely were.

Any concerns we had were dealt with ie I was worried that Delilah would be cold outside at night as she struggles with the cold weather and is used to sleeping inside so they had them sleep inside at night in crates just as they were used to. They have been good as gold since they came home and I could tell by the way the dogs acted around Darryl when we picked them up that they enjoyed playing with him, he was also able to tell us some interesting insights into Sam and Delilah's relationship that only someone who spends time with them would know so we knew he had been interacting with them enough.

I have not lived in Adelaide for a while, but years ago we used to use the Animal Welfare League boarding at Winglfield, heated, indoores, large sleeping separate from exercise area, can be exercised alone or in a communal spot, HEAPS of paperwork to make sure EVERYTHING is covered. we took our cats and dogs there, all were very happy and well on our return. Lots of gates/doors so no one would ever escape, and don't worry it's not near the refuge (I thought :rolleyes: someone will adopt my babies!) so no problems there.

I've never had ours in kennels here (16 years) as none of them are any good ;) in one, both dogs and cats escape regularly :love::eek:

Top Spot Kennels :laugh: between Mylor and Echunga have always been where we take our dogs.

They have a website if you would like to take a look at them http://www.topspottdalmatians.com/

I cant recomend them more highly, they cope with my different dogs and their different needs/whims

I work at Topspot and would happily board my dogs and cats there! :laugh: Lovely grassed runs to play in and awesome staff. :D

Chris who owns/runs it is AWESOME. You wouldn't meet a nicer lady. :o

Top Spot Kennels :( between Mylor and Echunga have always been where we take our dogs.

They have a website if you would like to take a look at them http://www.topspottdalmatians.com/

I cant recomend them more highly, they cope with my different dogs and their different needs/whims

I work at Topspot and would happily board my dogs and cats there! :laugh: Lovely grassed runs to play in and awesome staff. :laugh:

Chris who owns/runs it is AWESOME. You wouldn't meet a nicer lady. :laugh:

Hi Lyndsay,

Bailey spent a week at topspot slightly more than a week ago, did you get a chance to meet him? =) He's a pembroke corgi.

Back to the topic, I was overall satisfied with Topspot. I left Bailey there for a week while I was Interstate. He came home all happy and contented.

He did came back slightly too overweight to my liking, but I reckon that was prolly my fault for not specifying how much to feed him etc. Just something you might wanna keep in mind.

overall, i would be more than happy to drop bailey thr again if the need arises. i'll just have to keep in mind to provide them with a diet sheet.

Top Spot Kennels :cry: between Mylor and Echunga have always been where we take our dogs.

I work at Topspot and would happily board my dogs and cats there! :rolleyes: Lovely grassed runs to play in and awesome staff. :D

Chris who owns/runs it is AWESOME. You wouldn't meet a nicer lady. :laugh:

Hi Lyndsay,

Bailey spent a week at topspot slightly more than a week ago, did you get a chance to meet him? =) He's a pembroke corgi.

Back to the topic, I was overall satisfied with Topspot. I left Bailey there for a week while I was Interstate. He came home all happy and contented.

He did came back slightly too overweight to my liking, but I reckon that was prolly my fault for not specifying how much to feed him etc. Just something you might wanna keep in mind.

overall, i would be more than happy to drop bailey thr again if the need arises. i'll just have to keep in mind to provide them with a diet sheet.

No I didn't sorry, I haven't been working there as much with uni and a 2nd job now (vet nurse). Heard about him though! :love:

Specifying how much food is a good idea, it can be difficult to get it right especially with short stays as every dog is slightly different. Letting us know exactly how many cups of food or chicken necks or the like is best. :cry: Glad he enjoyed his stay!

Check out Pet Sitters Australia's website. They offer overnight in your home care, or live in a carers home. They originated in Sydney but are expanding to Adelaide. I have just recently become an Adelaide carer with them after completing a pet first aid course. They are fully insured and professional.

Another option is check out Happy House Sitters website and look for a house sitter.

Hope this helps