Samoyed Barking Problem

Hi all

I am new to this forum but need help. A friend adopted a 5yo samoyed from the pound recently and he was very neglected, in every respect. She has been nuturing the darling and has had great success so far but has now found that he will not be put out in the back yard for any length of time without barking continually and trying to escape, which he has done successfully a couple of times. I know that it is only while she is at work or something and not a lifestyle.

Any ideas on how to get him to stay outside for periods of time, happily?

thanks for any tips.

SAAM - sally

Sounds like she needs to work on her fences to make her yard more secure. That would be the first and most important thing to focus on in my opinion. Until that is sorted out it will not be safe leaving her dog in the backyard alone.

Once that issue has been addressed, she will need to focus on the dog's energy and anxiety issues (I'm making a leap here by guessing these are what is causing the escape behaviour and the barking).

Hard to know, but I have a dog that originally came from a pound and she was a real houdini and her behaviour has been similar to what you describe. We had to work hard to contain her (there was never any question how she wound up in the pound to begin with), and then continue working hard to keep her occupied and well trained and stimulated through her life.

I would suggest lots of exercise and obedience training, to keep the dog's mind and body busy and hopefully help get the dog a bit tired. Then also some cool things to do in the backyard while your friend is at work - kongs, toys, someone calling in at lunch time if possible, that kind of thing.

Your comment that it is only while she is at work and 'not a lifestyle' confused me a bit. If the dog does this every time she is at work, I would call that a lifestyle. The neighbours probably will too. Your friend will need to jump on the barking and escape problems because they could become a real issue for the neighbours. And then the neighbours, in turn, might become a real issue for your friend.

I would suggest lots of exercise and obedience training, to keep the dog's mind and body busy and hopefully help get the dog a bit tired. Then also some cool things to do in the backyard while your friend is at work - kongs, toys, someone calling in at lunch time if possible, that kind of thing.

Your comment that it is only while she is at work and 'not a lifestyle' confused me a bit. If the dog does this every time she is at work, I would call that a lifestyle. The neighbours probably will too. Your friend will need to jump on the barking and escape problems because they could become a real issue for the neighbours. And then the neighbours, in turn, might become a real issue for your friend.

Hi and thanks for the suggestions. I have also suggested to her that she tries to feed him outside and maybe spend sometime outside with him, or if all else fails, maybe keep him in the laundry or garage for the day until she can work out a solution. Part of the problem is that he has been so neglected, just left outside totally that now he has had a taste of companionship, he doesnt want it to end I guess. Also as he has a physical problem and is so underweight, the playing and tiring out is a touch difficult, but I know that she will persevere and loves him so much that he will be OK, just trying to give her some ideas.

Thanks anyway.

Sally - SAAM

My rescue GR was so distressed the first time I went to leave her outside while I went to work that I decided to leave her inside and gradually work on it. Many months later she still is left inside. :thanks:

If the dog isnt destructive then is it necessary that he is left outside?

Edited by ✽deelee

My rescue GR was so distressed the first time I went to leave her outside while I went to work that I decided to leave her inside and gradually work on it. Many months later she still is left inside. :laugh:

If the dog isnt destructive then is it necessary that he is left outside?

Hi Deelee

Yes,, not sure about that, I leave mine in when not home as they are fine, not sure why she needs to leave him out, although I may be wrong, it might just be that he doesnt like to be out at all without her. I will get a bit of clarification, but i think its really a separation issue since he has never had much contact and comfort so he is stressed about losing it!! Anyway, she will be fine and she is never going to let him go, so all is good, I was just looking for suggestions for her. I think feeding him outside and treats and her having coffee or reading her paper etc outside will be a bit of a start.

THanks for the input.

SAAM

My dogs are absolutely fine about being left alone inside, but are absolutely not fine being left alone outside. My older one was fine outside for 9 months, then one day started barking and didn't stop until I came home. Very mysterious. He now panics if someone shuts that gate in the rear yard while he's in it. Happy to snooze all day indoors, though, so that's what he does. I think if I had to I could gradually get him comfortable with being in the yard again, but given they both spend so much time indoors with us anyway, they often find outdoor noises something to bark at anyway. So they stay in and the neighbours are happy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a sam which likes to bark. I would suggest taking his mind off being left outside. Use kongs, and other pet toys which can be stuffed with really yummy treats to redirect the barking and anxiety and put his mind into something more productive. Exercise like running beside a bike for at least 30 minutes before work also does wonders. :party:

She might also think about dog daycare or at least a visiting dog walker. Any sort of companionship and diversion can lessen the barking. First choice of course is keeping the dog indoors if possible while she works on the anxiety issue.

Poor darling, Samoyeds need so much love and affection, this boy sounds like now that he has someone to love him he isn't about to let her go.

Personally I would be getting a behavourist in to assess the situation asap.

I would also be crating in the garage or house so he dosn't make a habit out of getting out and your friend needs to do something about her fencing.