Bikejoring

Hey everyone

little film i made of a afternoon out with my boys

we have been bikejoring now for two months and LOVE it!!

highly recomend it to anyone thinking about getting into it

is there a way to post the video on this forum???

cheers guys

its so much fun im surprised its still legal!!!

there is loads of info on the net if you look hard enough search bikejoring, skijoring, sled dog traning, summer training.

The main points i have focused on is "HAVE FUN" and dont expect to much from your dogs to soon.

saying that with in the first month the boys picked it up so well, and only doing it for 2 months we have the basics down pat, that little film was a 10km round trip that took us around 1 1/2 hours (including our stops at the dog park and for a swim)

they understand go well i use "off ya go" and "come one" just because they are commands i use naturally and the dogs already understood, "Hike" is also something im slowly introducing as its the proper mushing term

stop is "wooahh" and after applying the brakes on the bike the picked it up fairly quick

left "haw" and right "Gee" we are still working on these but i fell these will take some time to master.

im from SA so i got in contact with the SA Sled dog club, they were very welcoming even though i dont have huskys it dident matter

http://www.sasleddog.org.au/about/1024.html

i went to an event just to watch and they convinced me to borrow some harnesses and have a go. lets just say even though the boys were running all over the place and not listing to me it was a blast and i was hooked.

There is a lady in the club who sells all the gear, she test fitted some harnesses for my boys, lucky they fit Siberian husky harnesses no worries, so i did not have to get custom ones made up.

i got two harnesses size 3 and 4 a bungy tow line and a neck line for $110 and its the best money i have ever spent! me and the lads head out at least 2 times a week and just go exploring.

i already had the bike

if she is over 6 months then you should get her a puppy harness and start getting her to pull some light weight around.

my boys were fully grown when i started so i did not do this, but from everything i have read this will get her used to a harness and used to the idea of pulling.

my biggest problem was my dogs have been getting in trouble there whole lives for pulling, then i wanted them to do it ha ha lets just say its was a interesting few weeks training them around that. I had a few times when they had a small weight on a wood sled i made up and because there was a little bit of resistance they just stood there and barked at me while i ran off trying to get them to pull it.

but as you can see they eventually got the idea.

The sa sled dog guys were fantastic and really helpful, i have only been to one race meet but now the boys are really starting to power along i might go compete in a race or 2. My main focus is spending time with my dogs and having fun so wining a race is not really that important..... but i think we will give it a red hot go

Hey if they enjoy it then why not :cry:

Esky is 8 months old now, but already over the standard height for the breed. :cry:

I think she'll need an adult harness.

We've been gradually building up her stamina with a walky dog attachment at low speeds next to the bike.

I've also let her in front of the bike a few times so she gets the idea, but I'm not keen on doing much more until we get a proper harness.

So she hasn't actually pulled and weight, just practiced being in front. :cry:

I've also got to say your boys look very healthy :D Good job keeping them in such good condition

Esky, the reason for getting a puppy harness (as opposed to an adult one) is that they are adjustable, so that as your dog grows and fills out you won't need to continually buy a new harness.

We bikejor recreationally, and have done so for years. It's actually quite easy to train for, especially if you incorporate the commands into your daily walks. We only run ours in Winter as their form of daily exercise, and go 15klm. Here is a short video of one of

The dogs usually gallop for the first 3 or so klm before settling down and gaiting the rest of the trip.

I get my ganglines from Windchill (though I am learning to make my own), but the necklines and harnesses I make myself as they only cost about $5 each in materials.

You should be able to start taking Esky on short runs, as you are on the bike you can pedal to take the strain off her :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
I would love to get into this when my pup's legs are healthier!

I got pretty excited about the idea of doing it last year but forgot all about it till now.

Love the scooter/bike - I want one of them.

Edited by Andisa

The sledding season has just finished in vic, The cup was last weekend. as it gets warmer, it is not so easy to run the dogs (they can overheat really easily) generally the rule is, that you only run the dogs if it is under 15 degrees.

however it is a fun sport, and planing ahead a little is not a bad idea...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...