Bikejoring

i am interested in getting into doing this with my dog (4 yr old rotti) but my big question is how do you teach the dog to run out in front.. my boy is lazy lol.. he will walk out in front of my when we are walking but when i take him to the park and try to run him out on his long rope he wont do it..

also how do you teach them the proper sledding commands..

• 3 months later...
its so much fun im surprised its still legal

It's only legal on private property and "non road related" areas.

Eg It is illegal on roads, footpaths, most public bike paths, and areas adjacent to roads - to lead an animal from a vehicle which includes bicycles. This is the Australian road rules and is included in the SA road rules.

PITA - I was really looking forward to exercising my dog with bike.

I have noticed that an SA endurance club does the dogs and bikes things out of the West Beach club some mornings. And they seem to get away with it. So it doesn't seem to be something reliably enforced.

• 1 month later...

I have a GSP who just turned a year old and he absolutely loves running alongside my bike around the neighborhood. (Yes, I suppose I have been breaking the law by letting my dog running next to me while I'm on my bike).

Anyways, I've always had it in the back of my mind that proper bikejoring will be a good activity for him as he's got an almost infinite amount of energy.

Want to do my homework before getting into it though as definitely I don't want to injure my dog (or myself) and make it a good experience from the start, so here are some questions:

1. What is a good age for the dog to start?

2. Where are some good places to go in Victoria (Melbourne and surroundings)?

3. Places to get good gear (other than Windchill)?

4. Other tips and suggestions?

Cheers!

// Jimmy

Its good fun and GSPs seem to be especially good at it.

Personally I would wait until he's a little older before running him. I don't know when GSPs are fully grown - someone else here should be able to answer that - but I would expect 18months to 2years before you start to step it up (you don't want to risk his joints for the sake of waiting a little bit longer).

Windchill is a good site for gear but they also have information about places to bike. I have a friend who gets her racing gear elsewhere - Ill chase up the name for you (or with the strong dollar you could get it in from overseas).

You could also try the husky/malamute clubs they have the occasional training days. It is a winter sport and I believe events are cancelled if the weather goes above 15dC (someone correct me if I'm wrong - its been a long time since I looked at this stuff).

Good luck :thumbsup: