Weight Pulling

I'm wondering if anyone trains their dog in weight pulling. If anyone has any information on this sport, such as what is a safe age to start, how much weight should be used, methods and the like it would be appreciated.

If anyone has any negetive points also state them.

I have read several breeds excel at this such as Amstaffs, Eng Staffs, APBT, mastiffs etc

Best contact your nearest Siberian and/or Malamute club. The one here in Qld does weight pull - and usually end up with more bull breeds than Sibes & Mals :laugh:

I didn't do any training as such, just turned up, borrowed a harness from the club, got Mouse used to wearing it (she didn't care), gave her a couple of practices with tyres the club had available, then off she went. She pulled 3 qualifications and was up to pulling 15 x her own body weight but as she only weighs 14kg it became a physical impossibility for her to overcome the inertia of the weight and get higher weights moving, but if you gave the trolley a nudge she could pull more weight.

You can buy your own made-to-measure harness and certainly would need to do so to get more serious. I would have no hassles starting a young dog (8-9 months for a Stafford, other breeds would depend) just getting them used to the harness, pulling very light weights, encouraging them to pull a certain distance and getting them used to the idea that they have to move xxx distance before they get a reward.

Mouse was 4, pretty fit and just got right on with the job.

I have never heard of weightpull causing joint problems in healthy adult dogs.

If your dog has good conformation, if you wait until the dog is skeletally mature before starting training, and if you always listen to your dog (if it's at all sore or reluctant to pull, stop), I would not imagine it would cause joint issues.

But if your dog has joint issues already, or is predisposed to developing them by crappy conformation, then I suspect that pulling could make the issues worse. Same as most sports, really. If that makes any sense?

Perhaps someone that does weightpull could comment more on this issue, I would be interested to hear from them.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming in a bit late here but I have done weight pull in Vic with my 2 staffords, at events run by the AMCV and the ASTCV (Malamute and Amstaff clubs)

My boy recently injured himself however it wasnt weight pulling, none of my friends with mals, amstaffs or staffords have been injured pulling the carts. You start them slow by getting them used to the harnesses, then you get them to pull a tyre on a rope then the empty cart, then the cart with weights on it. Your best bet is to find an event in your state (normally the malamute club should know) and go check it out in person :)

I defintely wouldnt pull with a dog that had pre exisiting injuries though

Edited by shoemonster

I'm also interested with my dog because of potential joint issues. It is meant to help with hip displacia and such by building muscles.

I've been in contact with Rogue Royalty who are based in south west sydney who do gear aimed at bull breeds. I'd be interested to hear more from DOLers.

I do weight pulling with my amstaff x boy, it's good fun an indeed does help build rear end muscle. From what I hear RR are great quality but if I remember correctly their wp harnesses only come in standard sizes (correct me if I'm wrong!). I always recommend a custom sized harness and there are plenty of great harness makers in the US too if you want to explore a bit. My harness is from Hardcore Harness in Sweden though, but I've often collars etc. from the States before and shipping has been reasonable and surprisingly quick.

I'm also interested with my dog because of potential joint issues. It is meant to help with hip displacia and such by building muscles.

I've been in contact with Rogue Royalty who are based in south west sydney who do gear aimed at bull breeds. I'd be interested to hear more from DOLers.

Unless your dog is sound, I'd suggest weight pulling will create joint problems not solve them. It would be very hard on a dog with any level of HD.

I'd do water work with an unsound dog, not weight pulling and certainly not with anything less than a fully mature dog.