Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Puppy Eating Snails - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Puppy Eating Snails any parasites I need to ba aware of?

#1 User is offline   frufru 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

Our 4 month old standard poodle puppy loves hunting and eating the large number of snails that are around our garden - we try to monitor but she invariably ingests quite a few. Does any one know of any problems caused buy eating snails - I was thinking specifically of parasites? Hopefully she will grow out of the behaviour with some ongoing training.

This post has been edited by frufru: 29 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

#2 User is offline   poodlefan 

• Forum Regular
  • State:ACT

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Can't help on the parasites but eeeeuuuuu :) :laugh:

Mind you Darcy the poodle loves snacking on soldier crabs if he gets the chance.

On a happy note its a very environmentally friendly way to desnail the garden. :D

This post has been edited by poodlefan: 29 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

#3 User is offline   LoTTy 

• Forum Member
  • State:TAS

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

My Mini Schnauzer also lovesss snotty snails .. It's rather gross but i'm not 100% sure he eats them ... he loves to smash the shells and get the little buggers out ...

I'd be interested in knowing if its a good or bad thing ...

#4 User is offline   WreckitWhippet 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

I can't help either but just thinking about it makes me want to vomit

#5 User is offline   poodlefan 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

:)

I suppose FruFru could always saute them in garlic. Surelyl that's how poodles should eat snails.

I just googled "snail parasites". Snails can be secondary hosts to stomach and liver flukes but I have no idea if that affects dogs or not.

This post has been edited by poodlefan: 29 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

#6 User is offline   spottychick 

• Forum Regular
  • State:TAS

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

Lung worm seems to be the biggest threat.

Heres a UK story on it

Snails and dogs

#7 User is offline   grace 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

Please dont let any puppy eat slugs or snails they could be infected with rat lung worm which can be fatal.

#8 User is offline   mokhahouse 

• Forum Regular
  • State:VIC

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

My main concern along with the lung worm (never heard of it before) would be if any of your neighbours use snail bait that the snails could have poisen in them, especially if she is eating lots of them. We had the same problem with Mokha so had to be very vigilant about catching him trying to eat them and telling him to leave it. Thankfully he did loose interest in them as he got older, probably about a year of age, and he is a labrador so giving up eating anything that is edible is a miracle.

This post has been edited by mokhahouse: 29 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

#9 User is offline   poodlefan 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

View Postgrace, on 29th Sep 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

Please dont let any puppy eat slugs or snails they could be infected with rat lung worm which can be fatal.

Just googled that - nasty. :)

#10 User is offline   W Sibs 

• Chuck Em Skeet

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

first off... ewww.

Charlie once bit into a snail and spat it out and never went close to one ever again. Whereas Emmy likes poking them with her nose and make them roll around...

#11 User is offline   frufru 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the links all - as I said we do monitor but she is quite determined being a brown standard poodle puppy LOL. None of my neighbours use snail bait so I am more concerned about the parasites - never seen a rat in 10 years so I am hoping we sidestepped that one.

#12 User is offline   mrsgrumblebum 

• Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

When Bindi was a puppy she would eat a few snails but to my horror she would mainly bring them inside one at a time, was quite commical to watch her but, we discouraged it from the start, didn't take long for her not to worry about the snails. She now has a sniff and leaves them alone.

#13 User is offline   mac'ella 

• Forum Regular

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

my boxer used to eat them but hes too slow to catch them these days, but seriously there was a story in the news earlier this year on some guy who ate a slug as a dare and he picked up some parasite which was pretty bad.

#14 User is offline   ILoveBoundaries 

• Forum Member
  • State:VIC

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Kosmo loves a nice tasty snail. Maybe its the canine equivalent of the crackling on a Pork roast?

Personally I find dogs chewing on 'their own stuff' far more disguisting, so was fairly comfortable with snails. I'll stop him if I see it, but there is very little you can do because snail bait is such a no-no.

#15 User is offline   mac'ella 

• Forum Regular

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

View PostILoveBoundaries, on 1st Oct 2010 - 04:56 PM, said:

Kosmo loves a nice tasty snail. Maybe its the canine equivalent of the crackling on a Pork roast?

Personally I find dogs chewing on 'their own stuff' far more disguisting, so was fairly comfortable with snails. I'll stop him if I see it, but there is very little you can do because snail bait is such a no-no.

could be the poodles french origin ''escargot''
I have seen some snail baits eg (Multicrop MULTIGAUARD) which contain different chemicals and are only dangerous in large amounts, ie getting hold of a full box.We use this in a fenced off vege garden.
Has anyone used these and what do you think about their claims ?

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions