Black Hawk Holistic Dog Food

pinky11

My queries have stemmed from the fact that Hungryhound, whoever that is, has actually avoided answering questions.

And given some DOLers have dogs with food issues (indeed, including my Grumpy, who has low-grade pancreatitis), I think asking questions of someone who claims to own the dog food when they come on here to spruik it is reasonable.

Contact them yourself directly, either by email or phone. When you have questions for other companies (science diet, royal canin or whoever you currently use) do you ask the question on a dog forum and expect them to see it and reply?

I hope Black Hawk do well. An Australian company with an Australian product with all the marketing and packaging cut to a minimum to save costs to the dog owners.

BTW I bought the bag yesterday at the local boarding kennel. For the first time ever my fawn whippet ate all his meal (did a 70% to 30%). Time will tell with the weight, coat and overall conditioning. Actually I might go take a before shot today out in the backyard today and see what happens.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My queries have stemmed from the fact that Hungryhound, whoever that is, has actually avoided answering questions.

And given some DOLers have dogs with food issues (indeed, including my Grumpy, who has low-grade pancreatitis), I think asking questions of someone who claims to own the dog food when they come on here to spruik it is reasonable.

Contact them yourself directly, either by email or phone. When you have questions for other companies (science diet, royal canin or whoever you currently use) do you ask the question on a dog forum and expect them to see it and reply?

I hope Black Hawk do well. An Australian company with an Australian product with all the marketing and packaging cut to a minimum to save costs to the dog owners.

BTW I bought the bag yesterday at the local boarding kennel. For the first time ever my fawn whippet ate all his meal (did a 70% to 30%). Time will tell with the weight, coat and overall conditioning. Actually I might go take a before shot today out in the backyard today and see what happens.

Before getting so snotty, perhaps you could read the post trail. Hungryhound posted here to spruik the product, hence the direct questions. He/she responded here. I realise you're a fan but honestly, you shouldn't jump in before acquainting yourself with what actually happened.

Wouldn't exactly say "fan" as of yet BUT I am more than willing to give the product a go.

Who cares who posted whatever here. If they didn't answer the questions you have then email or phone. Though I'd suspect "heroes" that got on here all high and mighty don't have the same attitude when talking to people directly over the phone or in person.

So contact them directly and solve any confusion/ambiguitys/queries you may have.

Aaah, yes I see someone asked a few questions, but in all fairness, Hungry Hound has a total of 8 posts and hasn't been back since that last one. He may not have seen the questions yet and probably doesn't realise DOLers require a response in a nanosecond.

:D Having various health issues amongst the canine members of this family, particularly the loopy but delightful Tango :laugh: And also looking for good cheapish but healthy dog food for my neighbour the animal rescuer to use for her woofers.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to know as much as possible about stuff you feed your dogs (cats, people etc) :D

No there isn't but as a few people have pointed out, some of the questions asked here are more likely to be answered by emailing the distributors/manufacturers direct. And Sherel provided her email address for people to do exactly that. Did you email her with your questions?

And most of what you need to know is clearly available in the links that have been provided on the various threads. It's no more or no less than you'd be able to find out easily about any other food product available in Australia.

• 1 month later...

I use BlackHawk and am seeing some wonderful healthy and happy dogs in my yard. I was a very happy Royal Canin user but as the price kept going up and it was getting harder and harder (now impossible) for me to get the breeder bags I was looking at a change, I am very happy with BH, I am happy with the price, the ingredients, the availability, the dogs love it and I am using less of the product and maintaining a healthier weight range across the board.

I dont see the need for all the questions... the results speak for the themselves.

Just wondering for the users of Black hawk, did you guys change your dogs over gradually like you would any other food or is it not as important with the more premium brands as they are similar? When I went from EP to Nutro I went 3/4 EP 1/4 Nutro for a week then 1/2 and 1/2 for a week then 1/4 EP 3/4 Nutro for a week then all Nutro so the transition took about 3 weeks not sure if this is the right way to do it but there was no trouble and the change over didn't cause any tummy upsets at all. (think my lot have cast iron constitutions :confused: ) had to take it easy mostly for my oldest boy who has some food issues.

I use BlackHawk and am seeing some wonderful healthy and happy dogs in my yard. I was a very happy Royal Canin user but as the price kept going up and it was getting harder and harder (now impossible) for me to get the breeder bags I was looking at a change, I am very happy with BH, I am happy with the price, the ingredients, the availability, the dogs love it and I am using less of the product and maintaining a healthier weight range across the board.

I dont see the need for all the questions... the results speak for the themselves.

May I ask why it was getting hard (now impossible) to get the Royal Canin breeders bags? We have quite a few breeders who we order for and apart from the occasion out of stocks that all petfood companies seem to experience, there are few issues.

Sags

May I ask why it was getting hard (now impossible) to get the Royal Canin breeders bags? We have quite a few breeders who we order for and apart from the occasion out of stocks that all petfood companies seem to experience, there are few issues.

Sags

I haven't had any issue getting it .

Just wondering for the users of Black hawk, did you guys change your dogs over gradually like you would any other food or is it not as important with the more premium brands as they are similar? When I went from EP to Nutro I went 3/4 EP 1/4 Nutro for a week then 1/2 and 1/2 for a week then 1/4 EP 3/4 Nutro for a week then all Nutro so the transition took about 3 weeks not sure if this is the right way to do it but there was no trouble and the change over didn't cause any tummy upsets at all. (think my lot have cast iron constitutions :confused: ) had to take it easy mostly for my oldest boy who has some food issues.

I switched them over in about 3-4 days.....the big ones were getting Coprice and I mixed a handful of BH with it, then more and more til they just got BH.

Same with Isaak, he was getting Supercoat puppy and he was switched over in the same amount of time. No issues at all.

I used to have problems getting the same premium brand locally on an ongoing basis.....and it didn't matter which brand. Eagle Pack was often out of stock, Pro Plan was sporadic, I have hells own trouble getting Royal Canin Maine Coon for the cats.......my Maine Coon is over 11kg, she eats heaps but the largest bag I could buy was 3kg, which is ridiculous.

I know if I lived in suburbia, I might not have these issues, but in regional areas, it's hard to stick to a brand or type of pet food because they just don't get large stocks in and don't replace them quickly when they sell out.

Well that makes 3 weeks seem lke over kill ;)

I know what you mean about hard to get, thats why I swapped from EP to Nutro. With the EP I had to order in advance as they don't keep it in stock as they don't sell enough of it. But when you consider the price and the quality of the food for me including the cost of freight I will be paying the same but getting an extra 5 kilos of food and the quality is better so how can I lose. :confused:

Whoops better not count my chickens too soon must wait for sample for puppies to try :(

Edited by tlc

hey all :rolleyes: Wow, heated discussion!

Just my 2c.... Any pet food that has been imported requires a permit and on that permit paperwork should be the source of all ingredients included so it shouldn't be too difficult to answer (although contacting the company directly would be the best way to go - I can't believe some of the nonsense I read online!!)...

Cheers.

hey all :laugh: Wow, heated discussion!

Just my 2c.... Any pet food that has been imported requires a permit and on that permit paperwork should be the source of all ingredients included so it shouldn't be too difficult to answer (although contacting the company directly would be the best way to go - I can't believe some of the nonsense I read online!!)...

Cheers.

:rolleyes:

This thread is about an excellent quality locally australian made food, so Im not sure I understand your post?? Did I miss something??