I Almost Killed My Dog By Giving Him Fish Oil Tablets :(

Megan2010

So how much vitamin E am I suppose to be feeding?

And where do I get them? Are they especialy for dogs or could I just get some at the local pharmacy?

Any large pet supply warehouse will sell powdered vitamin E for dogs. The dosage is usually for greyhounds as most racing greyhounds are on it regularly. Just divide the greyhound dose for a smaller dog. I used to use the Troy brand, but cannot get it any more. White E is very expensive but there is now a new one out from Value Plus that works out much cheaper.

I have always supplemented all my dogs with Vitamin E and have been wondering lately if it also has something to do with the fact that I have never had any puppies with undescended testicles. This is a reasonably common problem in my breed and seems to happen in many lines, so I am wondering why none of my puppies and none of those sired by my stud dogs were ever affected. Maybe it is the lifelong Vit E supplements? :laugh:

Thanks for that. ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, mine are on BARF and two get glyde every day and one gets a small amount of omega 3 blend to help with her skin flair up she had last summer.

I've never heard of needing extra vit E either. I too will be looking into this.

My dog doesn't do great on Fish anymore so we use soaked Chia Seed for the Omega. Much cheaper way of doing it as well and lot's more 'good' things in it to boot.

When we did give Fish Oil we would only get the brand that had Vit E in it, I think it was Thompsons from memory - it's a Blue and White label.

Edited by sas

this is the stuff that feeds paranoia...

i am paranoid...

can someone PLEASE explain what and when to feed what and how much???

it's a helluva thing to own a dog BUT to own a dog and know very little to nothing about what it takes to keep them healthy and functioning is a king's list of golden...

right now, i'm in the dark...

i am paranoid...

it's a helluva thing to own a dog BUT to own a dog and know very little to nothing about what it takes to keep them healthy and functioning is a king's list of golden...

Head to your Health Food Store and look at the Labels of the Fish Oils and purchase one with Vit E already in it, makes it nice and simple.

Ethical Nutrients with combined Fish Oil, Vit E & Evening Primose Oil - that's a lovely skin combination:

http://ethicalnutrients.com.au/content/pro...h-oil-vitamin-e

Thompsons Fish Oil has Vit E with it, I used to use these as you can buy the large containers for a reasonable amount:

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/fish-oil-ome...on-limited.html

Microgenics has Fish Oil with Vit E in it:

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/fish-oil-100...icrogenics.html

Fish oil is a supplement that can greatly benefit a dog with arthritis. Fish oil helps control inflammation in dogs that have arthritis because it has omega-3 fatty acids. You can give up to 1,000mg of fish oil per 10 kgs. of body weight. However, fish oil can reduce vitamin E levels in the body, so it is important to give your dog extra vitamin E when they are taking fish oil. You can give a small- to average-sized dog about 100 IU of vitamin E daily. Vitamin E also acts as a natural anti-inflammatory, and it is a powerful antioxidant.

Click here to read more

Edited by sas

i asked my vet yesterday about this and he was not the slightest bit concerned if the diet is good already.

I will however be looking into foods that may assist with the Vitamin E and see if i can add that to the meals, and i will change brands as soon as i finish using up all the blackmores fish oil.

With the brands already mentioned, is there any info regarding where their fish comes from as you need to be careful with mecury poisoning.

You're always meant to give Vit E when givign Fish Oil, I thought that was a known thing but obviously not.

So did I...it has always been part of the regime here for years

How much oil and Vitamin E do you give your dogs Newfsie? I give mine 4 capsules a day (she was 45 kgs last time I weighed her, although may be a bit more now) of Swisse salmon oil which also contains vitamin E and a natural vitamin E capsule about once a week.

i asked my vet yesterday about this and he was not the slightest bit concerned if the diet is good already.

I will however be looking into foods that may assist with the Vitamin E and see if i can add that to the meals, and i will change brands as soon as i finish using up all the blackmores fish oil.

With the brands already mentioned, is there any info regarding where their fish comes from as you need to be careful with mecury poisoning.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that... most fish oil tablets are made from small fish (anchovies or sardines etc) - these guys are at the start of the foodchain in terms that they are the smaller species that everything eats .. its the larger fish like tuna, swordfish and shark (so fish that eat other fish and swim in deeper waters) that tend to have the higher mercury levels that you need to be careful of .... whilst smaller fish do have mercury levels (fish oil tablets that are derived from salmon are farmed salmon unless specified as wild salmon and they are generally the most expensive ones on the market) but again unless you are consuming a bucket load of tablets there is little to be concerned about unless you are a small child or pregnant and then you would just need to be cautious about how much and what type of fresh or canned or fish oils you were taking and where it comes from (fresh fish from around Australia is generally fine across the board as we have fairly low mercury levels in our oceans) .......

my boys are on 2 Fish Oil capsule every day and 1 Vit E every day with it and a tin of sardines (in brine) every 3 days with their chicken frames for dinner .... seems to keep them in good coat and I'm giving it to them for longer preventative reasons being large breed dogs

Edited by FionaC

i am paranoid...

I'm reading this thread thinking to myself I'm either very lucky or my dogs are different to all other dogs because I don't give any 'supplements' at all and I have never been to the vet for any reason apart from vaccinations or injuries.

I feed half super premium dry and half raw (my own mixture, not barf or any other commercial brand). Everything they get is fresh (occasionally if I don't have any green vegies to add I'll put a couple of tablespoons of 'supergreens' to the mixture) and my dogs have never looked better.

2 of them have suffered skin conditions/allergies in the past but this is no longer a problem. It seems to me that unless your dog is lacking in a particular area or requires something in particular for medical reasons isn't all this supplement giving overkill? And in fact it can possibly cause more problems especially if you're not sure about the dosage, possible side effects or even the need to offset one supplement with another?

my dog always has either spinach or broccoli, thats probably why my vet wasnt worried

Table 2: Selected Food Sources of Vitamin E (Alpha-Tocopherol) [7]Food Milligrams (mg)

per serving Percent DV*

Wheat germ oil, 1 tablespoon 20.3 100

Almonds, dry roasted, 1 ounce 7.4 40

Sunflower seeds, dry roasted, 1 ounce 6.0 30

Sunflower oil, 1 tablespoon 5.6 28

Safflower oil, 1 tablespoon 4.6 25

Hazelnuts, dry roasted, 1 ounce 4.3 22

Peanut butter, 2 tablespoons 2.9 15

Peanuts, dry roasted, 1 ounce 2.2 11

Corn oil, 1 tablespoon 1.9 10

Spinach, boiled, ½ cup 1.9 10

Broccoli, chopped, boiled, ½ cup 1.2 6

Soybean oil, 1 tablespoon 1.1 6

Kiwi, 1 medium 1.1 6

Mango, sliced, ½ cup 0.9 5

Tomato, raw, 1 medium 0.8 4

Spinach, raw, 1 cup 0.6 4

You don't need to be concerned about that.

If you live in America and you're regularily consuming Fish then this would be something you would look into.

If your dog is on a commerical premimum kibble diet you generally would not need any supplementation.

If you are not or you have a dog with issues such as skin or arthritis then you generally would look into supplementation.

Edited by sas

I'm reading this thread thinking to myself I'm either very lucky or my dogs are different to all other dogs because I don't give any 'supplements' at all and I have never been to the vet for any reason apart from vaccinations or injuries.

I feed half super premium dry and half raw (my own mixture, not barf or any other commercial brand). Everything they get is fresh (occasionally if I don't have any green vegies to add I'll put a couple of tablespoons of 'supergreens' to the mixture) and my dogs have never looked better.

2 of them have suffered skin conditions/allergies in the past but this is no longer a problem. It seems to me that unless your dog is lacking in a particular area or requires something in particular for medical reasons isn't all this supplement giving overkill? And in fact it can possibly cause more problems especially if you're not sure about the dosage, possible side effects or even the need to offset one supplement with another?

Spot on, there is no need for supplementation 'generally' if you're on premimum kibble diet and your dog has no issues.

What are te 'Supergreens' you mentioned?

Spot on, there is no need for supplementation 'generally' if you're on premimum kibble diet and your dog has no issues.

It is a concentrated powder of spirulina, wheat grass, chlorella and barley grass.

It is a concentrated powder of spirulina, wheat grass, chlorella and barley grass.

Well then you do give your dogs supplementation when you said you don't.

my dog has arthritis and pancreatitis with extreme sensitivities to red and some white meat (beef, lamb, pork, kangaroo) so i have opted for a raw diet with supplements to help with the arthritis. the only other option i was given was high strength anti-inflammatories which I didnt want to do.

It is always nice to know and have confirmation that i am doing the right thing (last thing i want to do is create more harm to my dog) that is why i have raised the issue of mercury poisoning and now that i have looked into Vitamin E foods, now feel comfortable that at least my dog may already be getting enough natural vit E to counteract the fish oil that i am currently giving her

my dog is also being monitored for pancreatitis attack at moment, may need to go in for blood test tomorrow (although i dont think she needs it now, is improving on antibiotics), but next blood test or next time i am concerned, may get full blood workup to check liver, vitamin overdose/underdose etc.

Well then you do give your dogs supplementation when you said you don't.

On occasion, when I don't have the fresh ingredients on hand then yes I suppose I do. I don't rely on them to provide my dogs with a balanced diet though.

was a huge fan of fish oil until this week. my baby was vomiting last thursday night and friday night, was taken to vets on saturday with suspected pancreatitis, was given injection and antibiotics for the week and limited diet.

has done well all week, until yesterday when i gave her a fish oil capsule (first time since last friday) and have been up all night (again!) with her being sick, so no more fish oil for us.

not sure what to do now with regards to the arthritis and being stiff and sore, sashas blend and those sorts of powders didnt work, cartrophen didnt work, and now it appears i cant use fish oil :wave: