Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Are there people out there who you could pay to be a runner instead of bike riding ??

I havea dog who i would like to ET title but the bike aspect isn't his thing BUT he is a great steady runner & i believe would prefer this method .

Looking at Perth but if im east that could be an option

Best to talk to the club hosting the event first. Occasionally they have, or know of, handlers that will do the run/cycle with dogs.

The cycling is obviously a lot easier for the handler, and with some practice, the dogs get used to this fairly well, and quickly.

M

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best to talk to the club hosting the event first. Occasionally they have, or know of, handlers that will do the run/cycle with dogs.

The cycling is obviously a lot easier for the handler, and with some practice, the dogs get used to this fairly well, and quickly.

M

All my others are very good on bikes,he isn't awful BUT being a show dog he is very comfy in a good gait running & is more relaxed & sets a nice pace.

I do havea friend within the dog world whos son is a cross country runner & dog savvy & i think a canine member so that may be an option although it will be next year when i hope to give it a go so plenty of time to still work on the bike skills

We are home from an amazing endurance test at Laidley with my greyhound who passed! Woooo hoooo who would have thought a race breed dog could become an endurance dog. You are something special Biscuit I am so proud of you.

Excellent News! Well done on a successful ET.

M

How did you guys start building up your dogs endurance? Ramses is fine next to the bike and has only crossed in front 1 and a half times..Half because he caught himself just in time and whipped back into position :laugh: and we have done a few 5-10 min trips to the park and back and he was really good. I am wanting to start building up his stamina for and ride to a different park but dont want to rush him too much.

Also do you use any paw balm to protect the pads?

Hi spoilt lab,

There have been many discussions on this thread regarding getting started on training a dog up for an ET. Please do read or re-read through the earlier pages of this thread as I am sure you will find them helpful ( and some even quite amusing!).

I am also an ET judge and am happy to offer you any advice and training tips.

There is a wealth of experience with the members on this thread and we are all here to help.

M

I did go back to the first page and look at the links..Now look like a dummy for not editing my post :laugh:

No dummies here! just people that want to learn and share their experiences and knowledge. :)

Hope we are all of some help....

M

Just wanted to check, the handler who takes the dog in for the ET has to be a kennel club member, don't they? I have a feeling my OH is going to try and use that as an excuse to get out of taking Akira for hers next year even though he's done all of the training so far with her. :laugh:

Yep - but maybe only have to be an associate member - but best check with Dogs SA - of course you could always give him a membership as a birthday or Christmas present :rofl:

:laugh: See the only reason he's refusing is because one of our friends refuses to become a member because he doesn't want to get chucked into the show ring, and so OH has decided that's a pretty good reason not to be a member as well. :rofl:

Very well done Biscuit :) I felt a bit the same when my Whippet did it easily. Very proud of our sprinting dogs :D

The whippet today was the best in the whole group. It didn't even start panting and the HR was 80 the whole time. It looked like it was going along thinking "ok, so whens the hard work gonna start?" :laugh:

The dobes and viszla also impressed me and also the sibe.

Had a few problems today with some of the dogs temps going too high (although all dropped at a second recheck a few mins later), the sibe was well below each time which kind of surprised me!