Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Now that 2011 is fast coming around the corner, I have started to think about the ET for next year! Jedi completed his ET last year down in Victoria and so 2011 is Ahsoka's turn! We'll start training in February once it cools down a bit, but I will be introducing the bike to her over the next month or so to make sure she's comfortable around it.

Is anyone else planning to do one next year?

Endurance Test Rules

Preparing your dog for an endurance test

Endurance Test Dates

NSW:

10 July 2011 - Grafton Dog Obedience Club (Grafton)

7 August 2011 - Dogs NSW (Erskine Park)

ACT:

TBA - Dogs ACT (Exhibition Park In Canberra - EPIC)

VIC:

16 April 2011 - Werribee Obedience Dog Club

25 May 2011 - Hungarian Vizsla Club

5 June 2011 - Murray Valley Obedience Dog Club

11 June 2011 - Dalmatian Club (held in Keysborough in 2010. ?same for 2011)

25 June 2011 - GSD Club (Cherry Lake Reserve, Altona)

2 July 2011 - East Gippsland Dog Obedience Club (Lake Guthridge)

SA:

25 June 2011 - German Shepherd Dog Club of SA

QLD:

31 July 2011 - Ipswich Dog Club

2010 Endurance Test Thread

Suggestions of what to bring to the ET:

To take to the ET:

- The Dog!

- Bike (if riding)

- Helmet (if riding)

- Running shoes (if running)

- Appropriate size lead

- Cycle computer (optional)

- Cycle gloves (optional)

- Water for you and your dog

- Water bowl for dog

- Your strapper/helper

- Shade umbrella and a chair

- Spare lead and collar

- Spare bike if transport allows

- Spare helmet/safety/riding gear

To have at the start line:

- Water for you and dog

- Electrolytes or honey for dog

- Mat for dog to lie on (optional)

- Light treats for dog (optional)

- Snacks for you (optional)

And for emergencies...

- Paramedics

- Bottle of wine

Edited by TerraNik

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

I am putting the Diva thru, most probably will do her in Canberra, as Sydney clashes with a major show that she will be going to.

I wrote out years ago a training plan for a dog that I trained for an ET, I will see if I can find it and post it. The dog I trained passed the ET with no problems.

Remember if you haven't been on a pushbike in years to practise riding on it by yourself before adding the dog to the mix!!!!!

It will be nice to have other people to talk to about training for motivation if nothing else.

Oh, seeing as the weather is so "lovely" (well its not raining today) if your dog is one that dries quickly, you can start now with regular swimming to tighten up liguments.

Edit to add equipment needed :-

pedometer (cheap one so you know how far you are walking your dog and how much to increase distance by)

push bike - you can buy them cheap at Aldi, if you have a pushbike get it serviced now by a professional mechanic so that it works well, remember to get it reserviced a month before ET so it hopefully doesn't break down on the day.

HELMIT - practise riding with helmet if you don't use one already.

Add to your calendar a reminder to take dog to vet for certificate just before ET. Remember to print out ET rules for vet so he/she understands why you want particular tests done.

Good luck everyone.

Edited by freundhund

I've started biking with Rory :D . He turned 2 in September so he's eligible, and I was going to leave ET till he was 3 (Kirra and my previoud boy Fergus ( :rofl: ) were 4 when they did theirs), but he's doing so well with the bike, that I might do it this year. We've only been out half a dozen times, but he gaits beautifully on a loose lead. Started the biking mainly to help with his show gaiting, but he loves it. Kirra is enjoying getting back to it, but is not quite as fast and strong as him, so we do about 3.5 km with her at present, and then put her back in the car, and do another 2 or 3 with Rory. Speed is about 12 kph - varying between 10 and 13.

I use their Black Dog tracking harnesses when they're biking - seems to work well.

I was thinking about it.. but I don't know. Jess could do it herself, easy - but I'm not sure if I want to ride a bike that far :confused:

ETA; Can they wear a harness for the test?

Edited by DogSportObsessed

It really doesn't feel very far at the time, mostly because it's so broken up and you're concentrating on keeping the right pace and making sure you're dog is ok.

Yes they can wear a harness.

"The dog must wear a fixed collar or suitable harness. No neck chains, slip collars, spiked collars, muzzles or head control collars shall be permitted"

Edited by TerraNik

Hi RallyValley

Suggestions to help with training Toby to get used to push bike. NOTE what I am suggesting will take about 6 weeks to complete, then remember to go back to the begining and train him again so he is really able to cope.

If you have one or can borrow one, start feeding Toby as close as you can while bike is stationary. Get as closer to the bike every day with the food. Once he gets very close to the bike, move food back away from bike and GENTLY wiggle bike, moving food closer to bike as you do this. Once he is used to this, start wheeling bike slowly back and forth again starting food from a distance then moving closer, once you are at this stage start wheeling bike around him in a large circle everytime start at a distance and get closer. Then in the backyard encourage him while you are straddling the stationary pushbike to eat his food next to you, then it is a few steps following to get the food, then repeat with a collar and lead on.

Now also repeat with a friend and a second bike, next move out of the backyard onto the footpath.

In the meantime you can walk Toby everyday, seperately practise getting yourself fit for the ride and by the time Toby is used to the bike you will still be able to do the test.

For skateboards my friend borrowed one, for the same reason ended up putting her dog's food on the top of the board, then moving board slowly with food on it to get her dog used to the sound, her dog ended up very happily using the skateboard as a toy!!!

Good luck with training Toby.

I had plans on doing it with Moo this year - OH thinks is all incredibly funny and that Moo couldn't possibly do it :laugh:

So I'll toss up doing it at either Canberra or Sydney. Nik where are you going?

Flynn is not eligible until 2012.

I had plans on doing it with Moo this year - OH thinks is all incredibly funny and that Moo couldn't possibly do it :laugh:

If Jedi can do it, Moo can do it!!

I'm not sure - I'm definitely not doing Sydney - boring course and too warm. Canberra is an option, but their ET starts late in the day (10am/1030am), so I'm not too keen on that.

I would love to go back to Victoria (East Sale) to do it - it was really cold, we started early in the morning and the course is beautiful. The only problem is the little miss might be in season then :D We'll see.

I had plans on doing it with Moo this year - OH thinks is all incredibly funny and that Moo couldn't possibly do it :rolleyes:

If Jedi can do it, Moo can do it!!

I'm not sure - I'm definitely not doing Sydney - boring course and too warm. Canberra is an option, but their ET starts late in the day (10am/1030am), so I'm not too keen on that.

I would love to go back to Victoria (East Sale) to do it - it was really cold, we started early in the morning and the course is beautiful. The only problem is the little miss might be in season then :( We'll see.

Sydney they start real early and is cold then - 7 am

Edited by DURNSTEIN

Plus, it was less than 10 degrees for the entire ET.

:( It was less than 10 degrees when we did ours too - but there was a howling gale, and it rained and sleeted nearly all the way. It was actually quite funny in a way, because we'd had some warm weather, and my friend and I were a bit concerned the temperature might go over 24 and the thing be cancelled - Nope - didn't have to worry about that. :)

Does anyone know where they do the ET in South Australia? Akira won't be eligible to do it until 2012, but OH would like to do it with her and he wanted to know whether it was hilly or flat and what surfaces, etc. I know it's on at least three different surfaces and we can train on those, but I think he's worried about keeping the pace for two hours himself if it's hilly. :(