Help Needed With Xl Transport Crate

marty's_master

hi guys. i havent been on here in ages but im hoping someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.

my wife joined the army last year and as a result we are now in Townsville! We still dont have a house and as such

have spent the last 3 weeks in a hotel. i had to leave Marty behind in my pops backyard in sydney but its nearly time

to get him up here, FINALLY!!! I cant believe how much ive missed him, he was the only thing that got me through

the last 6 months away from my wife. Anyway ive sussed out the flight info etc but im still missing one vital part,

an air crate big enough to carry him. id probably prefer to just hire one but would also be willing to buy one if it were

able to be taken apart or folded up etc. If anyone has gone through a similar move with a large dog or knows where

the best place to get a crate would be id love to hear from you and also if theres anyone on here in TV id also like to

chat coz i dont know a single soul up here! cheers guys, Cory.

I'd recommend Dogtainers (who mainly use Qantas flights) or Jetpets (who prefer Virgin). Jetpets are usually cheaper.

hi guys. i havent been on here in ages but im hoping someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.

my wife joined the army last year and as a result we are now in Townsville! We still dont have a house and as such

have spent the last 3 weeks in a hotel. i had to leave Marty behind in my pops backyard in sydney but its nearly time

to get him up here, FINALLY!!! I cant believe how much ive missed him, he was the only thing that got me through

the last 6 months away from my wife. Anyway ive sussed out the flight info etc but im still missing one vital part,

an air crate big enough to carry him. id probably prefer to just hire one but would also be willing to buy one if it were

able to be taken apart or folded up etc. If anyone has gone through a similar move with a large dog or knows where

the best place to get a crate would be id love to hear from you and also if theres anyone on here in TV id also like to

chat coz i dont know a single soul up here! cheers guys, Cory.

Hi corey well come to sunny qld??? Lol.

This is where i got my crate from he is in bris but can ship to syd for you. They are collapsible and the one this links to is massive i have a 46" and its HUGE and this one is 8" bigger exact sizes are on the page though so just measure it out. GL. Btw i love Boerboels :wave:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WE-OFFER-NOW-NEW-54...=item230ad8df00

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

If you use an animal transport company you can hire a crate from them. However, if you have storage space and think you might be moving around a bit, probably a good idea to have one on hand in any case.

Marty will certainly be eye catching up there. Be prepared to have lots of people oohing and aahing over him.

Good luck with getting Marty up to Townsville and to getting to know people. I went to boarding there a thousand years ago - LOL.

I used dogmovers.com.au. They're road transport which actually I was more comfortable with. They were a dream! They go from NSW (not exactly sure where) to Cairns every week. Just my two cents :birthday:

Would they get through at the moment? Makes me wonder if a road transport of dogs is stranded anywhere. :shrug::( . At least they would be safe and being looked after.

Hi,

If I were you I would ring Dogtainers. They know the sizes and requirements for large dogs.

I would ship by the first flight possible. A few hours on the plane and then back with you.

I would use a dogtainers hire crate till you could purchase your own.

Dogtainers sell large Vari Kennels for shipping. I purchase all my crates of them.

Ill be flying back down and putting him on the plane myself and flying back with him so i dont see the point of paying a transport company when ill be doing all the work. I have looked into hiring a crate from dogtainers but was hoping or checking there isnt a cheaper option or like i said would be interested to buy one since we'll be moving around again at some stage. and yeah Korbin the army will reimburse us for the costs but we still have to pay for it ourselves upfront. I'll look into those VariKennels to thanks Oakway. Does anyone else have experiences airfreighting large dogs and how did you/they find it?

ebay often have Vari kennels in NSW and QLD but I don't think I have seen one large enough for your boy.

Hiring is usually easier and cheaper and then you can keep an eye out for a bargin.

Ill be flying back down and putting him on the plane myself and flying back with him so i dont see the point of paying a transport company when ill be doing all the work. I have looked into hiring a crate from dogtainers but was hoping or checking there isnt a cheaper option or like i said would be interested to buy one since we'll be moving around again at some stage. and yeah Korbin the army will reimburse us for the costs but we still have to pay for it ourselves upfront. I'll look into those VariKennels to thanks Oakway. Does anyone else have experiences airfreighting large dogs and how did you/they find it?

You may find that dogtainers may be a cheaper than flying down yourself.

You will have your airfares and that of the dog. Gone are the days of flying large dogs cheaply.

Dog tainers will collect the dog from where the dog is and deliver directly to your place of residence or you may collect at the airport yourself.

Also the carriers have a better rate of travel than we can get.

Dogs are traveling around the world on a daily basis.

Welcome to Townsville, hope you enjoy it here. We've move a couple of times with Dogtainers they are fairly good although it pays to ring and check it your pet travels alone (they've manage to lose/misplace an animal twice with us) if your traveling with him it should be fine. I'd buy a large crate, we got ours from the pet place opposite domain (pet cafe I think it is). Sing out if you want any help with any thing, there are some good vets and boarding kennels up here. Both myself and husband are ex military and I'm working at Lavarack now.

Cheers,

Leanne

Qantas & Virgin have different requirements for crates & set sizes .

The crate posted couldn;t be used on VIRGIN but can on qantas if it meets the requirements on strength

It probably won't....i had to have a special crate made for a newf as per their spec's. Don't have it anymore or you would have been able to have it. they wanted the sides solid (mostly)