Dogs Inside Or Outside

Pollywaffle

I’m originally from the UK and for obvious reasons (mainly space) most dogs in UK are kept indoors. This is an obvious approach to me as dogs are generally for company and you want to be near your ‘company’. Where I currently live a man two doors down recently got a puppy – beautiful dog, full of energy and vitality. The man lives alone. When we saw him the other day he asked us where our dogs were kept..’inside’ came the reply. He said, ‘my dog always stays outside, I won’t let him inside at all’. I just don’t understand this approach - surely you'd want to be near your 'company'. In every other way he seems a good owner.

Is it purely a cultural thing and what arguments do you have for and against. I’d love to be enlightened more on the argument for having dogs outside.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m originally from the UK and for obvious reasons (mainly space) most dogs in UK are kept indoors. This is an obvious approach to me as dogs are generally for company and you want to be near your ‘company’. Where I currently live a man two doors down recently got a puppy – beautiful dog, full of energy and vitality. The man lives alone. When we saw him the other day he asked us where our dogs were kept..’inside’ came the reply. He said, ‘my dog always stays outside, I won’t let him inside at all’. I just don’t understand this approach - surely you'd want to be near your 'company'. In every other way he seems a good owner.

Is it purely a cultural thing and what arguments do you have for and against. I’d love to be enlightened more on the argument for having dogs outside.

We just had relatives staying down from the bush. They were mortified that my kelpie is an inside & outside dog.... and that she sleeps on my bed :thumbsup: Especially in the bush dogs are outside and get a bullet if they don't do the job.... my kelpie loves her herding but also lives a life of a comfort :crossfingers: It's the way I like it and wouldn't do it any other way!

It's a personel choice. My girl comes inside when invited, she dosnt complain if left outside which makes it a lot easier if visiting friends that dont have dogs inside. Ruby is often too dirty from running around farm to be in side anyhow.

when we first started looking for a dog, I had a strict "outside dog" policy. That's what we had growing up - animals were outside. The more I researched my breed, the more I understood that they need to be with their people. I relented.

Luckily, he's independent enough to be happy all day outside and comes in with us when we/he wants to. Sometimes our expectations don't align - i.e. we want him in, he's galavanting around the backyard. He sleeps inside at night - simply because he kept alerting us that our neighbours were coming home, or going out, or had friends over, or walked down their driveway. Drove me batty and henceforth he is crated.

We have our dogs outside but it is how I have been brought up. When I get my own place the dogs will be allowed inside but since i'm still living with my mum I have to follow her rules. most dog in my area are outside dogs. I personally prefer to have my dog inside but I have to follow rules and my opinion makes no difference to the rules.

We do allow the dogs into the bathroom when there is storms

If someone wont allow a dog inside why bother with the mess and trouble they make? Those owners would rarely see the dog. Buy a fish instead. Dogs need company, live outside, or allow the dog inside. :crossfingers:

People from the UK do allow the dog inside and they allow them on transport too. Australians are well behind.

While it's a personal choice, my belief is that we obtain dogs for companionship. Unless we spend the majority of our time outside in the yard, why would we put our dogs outside in the yard if they're supposed to keep us company?

More importantly though - dogs are pack animals and therefore they need others around them. If the dog is an only, what sort of pack do they have if they're housed outside and spend their lives separated from the humans?

There are some breeds which do better outside, but IMO all dogs should spend time with their human family. If that means the family spends their non-work time outside, then it's okay for the dog to be outside. But if the family is more often inside, so should the dog be inside.

I have three dogs - I chose short-coated dogs because I like them being inside. ATM with all the water on the ground, being outside is not possible so they go out only for toilet breaks. When I work, the dogs are inside as well for their own safety. They sleep on my bed at night. So their lives are predominately indoors. They're older as well, which means they are more comfortable inside.

Some people will never change their minds. I think that's partly why we still have a long way to go before dogs are welcome in shared spaces such as hotels, public transport, and shopping centres. And I think that's a real shame. :crossfingers:

If someone wont allow a dog inside why bother with the mess and trouble they make? Those owners would rarely see the dog. Buy a fish instead. Dogs need company, live outside, or allow the dog inside. :thumbsup:

People from the UK do allow the dog inside and they allow them on transport too. Australians are well behind.

I have a dog who refuses to come inside. He stresses, paces and drools if he is brought in. He is happy outside. We spend lots of time out there with him. He is quite welcome inside but chooses not to. Short of stapling him to the floor, what would you suggest?

He certainly is no bother and doesn't make mess or trouble. :crossfingers:

Mine are outside when we' re at work and inside in the evening, then Isaak goes outside to sleep and the others sleep in our room.

On the weekends, they are still outside if we're home but we spend heaps of time with them because we're out there with them.

The climate in the UK is a bit different to here. And Aussie breeds in particular are highly suited to living outside.

Edited by GayleK

When I lived in the UK our dogs were inside/outside dogs. They spent time in, they spent time out. Mine come in but they spend the majority of their time out. When they are out they are right in front of my office window.

I don't think they need to be sleeping on my bed for me to be a good dog owner.

I'm a very strong believer in dogs inside but have SO many people give me lectures about why its wrong and why they should be outside. Because that really P*sses me off I won't lecture anyone about why they should have their dog inside but I think its much better for the dogs well being. Being a pack animal they are social and need to be with their pack.

Obviously its up to the individual and there are some dogs that don't even like being inside.

Ours have inside/outside access when we are home, they are outside when we're at work.

I have met plenty of good dog owners whose dogs are outside only. I prefer mine to be inside but to be honest I think that's more for my benefit than theirs :crossfingers: Mine enjoy being in the yard, running around, playing with their toys, guarding the house, chasing birds. They also enjoy spending time with us but I don't think they'd be unhappy as outdoor dogs.

If someone wont allow a dog inside why bother with the mess and trouble they make? Those owners would rarely see the dog. Buy a fish instead. Dogs need company, live outside, or allow the dog inside. :crossfingers:

I still think it is personal choice depending on your lifestyle. I am in the fortuate position that we live and work on a farm so my dog gets to be with me almost all day and does a lot of useful work as well, but there is no way that I will be washing her every night so she can come inside. :thumbsup:

My personal belief is that for some folk, the underlying reason they want pet dogs outside is because they think they are "dirty" or that bringing dogs inside "spoils" them. That's the cultural perception that engenders the practice IMO and I think it stems strongly from our rural roots. I can't find an equivalent for the practice outside of Oz.

Given that worming programs and decent husbandry can deal with any health risks associated with dogs, much of the "dogs are unhealthy" thinking of 50+ years ago can be put to bed.

Allowing a dog inside and giving it free reign to do whatever it likes are not one and the same thing. I know dogs that never make it to bedrooms, off hard flooring or out of crates but I think a key thing to note is that these dogs are not left alone for most of their lives - and that's the reality for thousands of dogs from working families that keep them outside. I know plenty of inside dogs whose manners are far superior to their outside cousins.

Factor in that the size of the average Australian house block hasn't been 1/4 acre for decades, that the number one source of conflict for neighbours is barking dogs and that many of the most popular breeds in this country were bred for companionship and/or lack the physical traits that enable them to cope well outside in all weather and I find the reasons for keeping dogs outside (barring the convenience of the owners) less and less understandable.

Frankly I'm surprised that more Australian dogs, kept socially isolated and probably lucky to get one hour of attention in 24 aren't insane.

Whether you keep a dog outside or not is up to you. However, IF you do, the onus on you to provide for all of your dogs physical and social needs skyrockets if you want to do it responsibly.

If a zoo kept a dog socially isolated and gave it no enrichment, no change of scenery and no company, they'd have animal welfare groups all over them. Tens of thousands of Australians do that in their backyards without a second thought.

Ah yes Australia.. the country that brought you the expression "it's just a dog". :crossfingers:

Edited by poodlefan

I don't think they need to be sleeping on my bed for me to be a good dog owner.

Of course not! Hopefully no one would suggest such a thing. Equally if I choose to have a dog on my bed it does not mean I am a bad dog owner :crossfingers:

Edited by cmkelpie