New Qantas Travel Requirements/crates

Dogsfevr

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of Feb Qantas have New crate requirements for travel ,looks the same as virgin

http://www.aae.com.au/services/express_your_pet/crates

These are new regulations/standards set by IATA. (air transport association) not the airline. Airlines around the world must meet these requirements in order to keep IATA membership.

Even wire hire crates must have external handles for handling crates without fingers entering animal housing area, hopefully some of the old, disgusting wires will be gone forever!!

Interesting about the ''must have water container'' - I was at Brisbane AAE this morning and water still wasn't permitted in the crate. So water contrainer is a must have, you just can't put water in it??

Yes, I had a frozen bottle - but this is a solid object loose in the crate which is not allowed.

Edited by Sandra777

As of Feb Qantas have New crate requirements for travel ,looks the same as virgin

http://www.aae.com.au/services/express_your_pet/crates

These are new regulations/standards set by IATA. (air transport association) not the airline. Airlines around the world must meet these requirements in order to keep IATA membership.

Even wire hire crates must have external handles for handling crates without fingers entering animal housing area, hopefully some of the old, disgusting wires will be gone forever!!

As side note my wire crates aren't disgusting & i would sooner fly mine in wire any day than the Varis which get hotter ,have less room at the bottom for big dogs to lay down & do tip easier plus being a big pain in the arse at the other end.

Oh and i do own both & have used both .

The best giggle is Qantas have updated there sire but its new regs don't match AAE site.

Also should be noted there is no more mention of Canine Members being allowed extra dogs

This is interesting because I was to have my new baby flown in this week from Brisbane but she is coming next week now because of the floods.

I am using Dogtainers and no one mentioned these conditions to me and it was the length of the flight with change of planes etc that had be really worried - it is a long time for a pup to go without food or water.

But what they did mention was that the airlines now require a vet certificate to state that the animal is fit to travel.

Can and should your pet travel with AaE?

Some types of animals are prohibited from air travel, some can only travel if a veterinary certificate (dated within 10 days of the travel date) is supplied certifying the animal is fit to travel and for some pets travel is not recommended or should only be undertaken after careful consideration.

Animals that are not permitted to travel with AaE:

* The following dog breeds (full and cross bred) are not permitted at all on Qantas or QantasLink services:

o Brazilian Fila

o Japanese Toga

o Dogo Argentino

o American Pit Bull

o American Staffordshire Terrier

o Pit Bull Terrier

* Aggressive or highly agitated animals

* Animals that exhibit aggressive behaviours, excessive chewing and cage destruction

* Puppies or kittens less than eight weeks old, or animals that have been weaned within five days of the travel date are not accepted for travel. Very young animals are not suited to air travel as they are still dependant on their parent or owner and become easily distressed.

Animals for which a veterinary certificate (dated within ten days of the travel date) is required:

* A pregnant animal or an animal that has given birth within 48 hours prior to travel

o A pregnant animal will only be permitted to travel if a veterinary certificate is supplied certifying that the animal is fit for travel and there is no risk of it giving birth during the journey.

* Animals over 12 years of age

o Older animals are less able to cope with the stress of air travel. A veterinary certificate must be supplied stating that the animal is fit for air travel.

* Animals between the ages of 8 and 12 weeks

o Young animals aged between 8 and 12 weeks may be accepted for transportation if they are lodged with a health certificate issued by a competent, authorised veterinary authority stating the animals are in good health and fit for travel with verification of the animal age and breed.

* Sick or injured animals

o Travel can cause animals to suffer if they are unwell or have been injured recently. You should check with your Vet and obtain a fitness to travel letter if your animal is unwell, has been injured, or has had recent surgery.

Animals for which air travel is not recommended and/or for which restrictions apply:

* Brachycephalic or snub-nosed dog/cat breeds

o Animals belonging to brachycephalic breeds are more likely to suffer from respiratory distress and heat stress due to upper respiratory tract anatomical anomalies, which are prevalent in these breeds, placing them at risk.

o It is recommended that you check with your Vet about the suitability of air travel for these breeds.

o Due to the potential health risks these dogs/cats are only accepted for travel at owner’s risk and will not be accepted when the total elapsed time for the flight or combination of flights between the origin port and the final destination exceeds five hours. This is a restriction applies on all Qantas and QantasLink services.

The following breeds are subject to the Qantas restriction on flying time:

o

Bulldogs (English, French, British)

o

Boston Terrier

o

Japanese Spaniel (Chin)

o

Pekingese

o

Pugs

Dogs and cats with heavy coats such as Newfoundlands, Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, Samoyeds and Persian cats.

o

In planning air transport for these breeds, take into consideration the temperature at the origin, destination and any connecting ports. Animals travelling from cooler regions to hotter regions have a greater susceptibility to heat stress and these breeds with heavy coats are even more at risk.

Anxious animals

o

Air travel can be very stressful to many animals. Although not common there have been occasions when animals have died during a flight as an outcome of becoming highly stressed and anxious. Please discuss the suitability of air travel with your Vet if you think that your pet is likely to become upset in noisy and unfamiliar environments.

Very large pets e.g. Great Danes and Irish Wolfhounds

o

If the container holding a large animal is unable to be loaded into the usual space of the aircraft, the booking, planning and travel of the animal will need to be managed by AaE’s Special Movements Department, which can be contacted via the AaE Contact Centre on 13 12 13.

o

The maximum height of the container for most aircraft is 84cm. If travelling on a B717, Fokker 100 or Fokker 50 the maximum height must not exceed 72cm.

o

The dimensions of your container and the size of the animal will be checked both when you make a reservation and at acceptance at the Freight Terminal.

Qantas Accompanied Pet Rate

Animals that are considered household pets travelling on a Qantas Domestic Flight numbered QF400 or above, as accompanied pets are eligible for the special Qantas accompanied pet rate.

If your pet is travelling unaccompanied or its travel is coordinated by the AaE Special Movements Department, even if you are travelling on the same flight the shipment is not eligible for the Qantas passenger rate for accompanied pets.

Skywest Accompanied Pet Rate

Animals travelling on the same Skywest flights as their owner are eligible for an accompanied pet rate. Visit the Skywest website www.skywest.com.au

On Skywest, the maximum allowable weight of combined pet and cage is 50kg. Anything over this weight is subject to prior arrangement. Please note that some of the larger containers will not fit on Skywest aircraft.

Making A Reservation

The number of pet containers allowed on an aircraft is limited and there are many flights particularly on the weekends or early in the morning when the service is not available. AaE strongly recommends that you make a booking with AaE to confirm both the availability of the service and whether there is space for your pet on the flight.

At the time of booking you will need to advise us of the dimensions of your pet container to assist us in checking the service availability and space. This is also important because not all large pet containers can be loaded on all aircraft types.

If you are travelling with your pet we strongly recommend that you check availability of the service with AaE prior to making any flight reservations if you wish to travel on the same flight and receive the applicable concessional rates for accompanied pets.

To ensure you receive the special Qantas accompanied Pet rate Qantas recommends that you first book your cat or dog with AaE before confirming your own reservation on a Qantas Domestic service numbered QF 400 or above.

Qantas recommends booking your Household pet no later than 48 hours before departure.

Qantas and AaE reserve the right to have your household pet travel on an alternative Qantas service due to unforeseen circumstances.

Please advise us at the time of booking if you are planning to travel with your pet. To be eligible for the Qantas accompanied pet service and rate, at the time of lodgement at the AaE Freight Terminal you will need to provide proof of travel e.g.: itinerary, e-ticket confirmation or a boarding pass, with your full name, address and a 24 hour emergency contact number.

Bookings can be made by calling AaE on 13 12 13 and selecting Option 4 Airport to Airport Reservations including livestock.

Preparing Your Pet For Travel And Documentation Requirements

Complete the Household Pets Shippers Statement

This statement assists in ensuring that only cats and dogs that are fit for travel and are permitted by the airline operator are accepted for carriage. A statement will be sent to you when we send the confirmation of your pet booking. This statement is only required when the animal is a cat or dog and will be a mandatory requirement as 1st February 2011.

The statement contains a series of statements regarding the breed, the fitness of the animal to travel and cage size that the shipper is asked to complete. We also ask for confirmation that the shipper understands that air travel is not without hazard and that the 24 hour emergency number is correct.

Exercise, Food and Drink

Your pet will be confined in its container from the time is lodged at the AaE freight terminal until it is collected by you or your representative at its destination.

Before you place your pet in its container, make sure it has had plenty of time to stretch and exercise. It is important that your pet has had enough to drink, however animals should usually travel on an empty stomach so limit the amount of food they eat prior to travelling. Your Vet will be able to advise you further.

If your pet soils the cage prior to departure you will be required to return to the AaE terminal to clean the cage and if this is not possible it is likely that the aircraft loading staff will not load your pet onto the aircraft. If you are unable to return to the freight terminal, AaE will engage on your behalf and at your expense an animal transport service provider to clean the cage and re-lodge the pet with AaE.

Sedating Your Pet

Sedation is NOT recommended for animals travelling by air unless specifically prescribed by your Vet. Sedated animals can lose their ability to balance or brace against turbulence. Changes in pressure during air travel can affect respiration and heart function for animals that have been sedated and the combination of altitude and medication is potentially fatal in an old, sick or stressed animal. Please refer to the IATA website for additional information on sedation.

Visit the IATA website www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/Pages/sedation.aspx

Should your Vet recommend sedation, a note must be attached to the container the animal is travelling in stating the:

* Animal’s weight

* Generic name of the drug used

* The dosage

* The method of administration

* The time given

This information would be used if the animal has an unforeseen reaction to the medication during transit and AaE needs to contact a veterinary practitioner.

On the day of travel

Your pet must be lodged at the AaE Freight terminal 90 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure.

Remember to bring the following documentation:

* Your AaE pet booking confirmation and your Qantas flight confirmation (if the animal is travelling as a Qantas accompanied pet).

* The completed shipper’s statement for each cat and dog being lodged.

* Any required veterinary certificates.

If you do not bring the completed statement you will be required to complete this statement at the time of lodgement as AaE will not accept your cat or dog for travel without it. This will become a mandatory requirement as of 1st February 2011.

AaE staff will check your animal and its container to ensure that all requirements are met. If your pet is travelling as an accompanied animal, i.e. you are also travelling on the flight; you will need to provide proof of your own travel booking such as a boarding pass or confirmation letter.

AaE may refuse to accept your pet for travel if:

* The animal is a restricted breed that is not permitted to travel on an aircraft

* The container for the animal does not meet the standards outlined in this document

* The container or animal is unclean

* The container is in a state of disrepair and the animal has the potential to escape

* The animal is unwell, aggressive or appears unfit for travel

* A required veterinary certificate is not provided

on arrival at the destination

You or your representative must be available to collect your pet and the container that it is travelling in from the AaE freight terminal at the airport within 60 minutes of the flight arrival.

Your pet will be brought into the AaE facility soon after the aircraft has landed and should be collected with as little delay as possible to avoid prolonging the time spent in unfamiliar and often noisy surrounds.

The person taking possession of the animal will be asked to sign a receipt. Once the animal has been signed for it is the responsibility of the receiver to ensure the animal is taken safely away from the airport.

The animal must only be released from its container within the AaE facility or surrounds in a secure area. Animals are often agitated by the noise and traffic in the area and can easily escape an opened container and place themselves in danger.

Here is the after new info besides the crates

Wow, that was like reading war and peace! It is getting tougher and tougher to fly animals and with it comes increased costs that's for sure. It looks like my wire crates won't be accepted any longer. They have plastic trays not metal in the bottom of them and they are able to be folded down:-( I did notice the other day that the new PP40's have changed design for the better with a drip tray in the bottom and better locking. A shame they don't make bigger ones as they only take one of my dogs and I usually like my dogs to share a wire cage for companionship during the flight. Back to the drawing board as I have a Specialty coming up in March.

* Animals between the ages of 8 and 12 weeks

o Young animals aged between 8 and 12 weeks may be accepted for transportation if they are lodged with a health certificate issued by a competent, authorised veterinary authority stating the animals are in good health and fit for travel with verification of the animal age and breed.

They can be if they have a vet certificate saying they are fit to fly. Yet another expense for breeders flying puppies to new homes. This will affect me considerably as if my puppies are not sold locally the less stress and locked up time option is to fly them. It is 8 hours (plus if travelling with puppies) by car and to me too risky if having to do toilet stops for babies as you would need to for that amount of time.

Edited by OSoSwift

Wayrod are the new PP50's available as yet?????? these would be perfect adult Whippet size.

Spoke with manufacturer this morning, the New PP10 & PP50 available shortly 7-10 days, I am awaiting on prices and delivery. PP50 takes dog weight up to 20kg.

•PP10/PP20/PP30/PP40/PP50s are made of high quality plastic, which are strong and durable.

•Beautifully designed with a flexible cage lock, generously sized water bowl, funnel and litter tray.

•Can be used as a kennel as well as a portable carrier.

•Dimensions:

PP10 33 x 33 x 48.5 cm

PP20 37 x 37 x 52 cm

PP30 43 x 45 x 62 cm

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm

All of these crates have been airline approved.

I will let you know as soon as available.

Wayrod are the new PP50's available as yet?????? these would be perfect adult Whippet size.

Spoke with manufacturer this morning, the New PP10 & PP50 available shortly 7-10 days, I am awaiting on prices and delivery. PP50 takes dog weight up to 20kg.

•PP10/PP20/PP30/PP40/PP50s are made of high quality plastic, which are strong and durable.

•Beautifully designed with a flexible cage lock, generously sized water bowl, funnel and litter tray.

•Dimensions:

PP10 33 x 33 x 48.5 cm

PP20 37 x 37 x 52 cm

PP30 43 x 45 x 62 cm

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm

Dumb question, but what do those people with large/giant breeds do when the have previously transported their dogs in wire crates of the following dimensions? And that there dog needs this length, width, height to be able to turn around. And, if you cannot use collapsible crates, what do you do if you have a car that crates of these size won't fit into?

XLarge 110cm 70cm 80cm

XXLarge 120cm 75cm 85cm

•Dimensions:

PP10 33 x 33 x 48.5 cm

PP20 37 x 37 x 52 cm

PP30 43 x 45 x 62 cm

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm

Dumb question, but what do those people with large/giant breeds do when the have previously transported their dogs in wire crates of the following dimensions? And that there dog needs this length, width, height to be able to turn around. And, if you cannot use collapsible crates, what do you do if you have a car that crates of these size won't fit into?

XLarge 110cm 70cm 80cm

XXLarge 120cm 75cm 85cm

The larger vari and wire crates are still available to be used, as long as they meet the requirements. As for transporting crates to and from airport, that could be a little more difficult, as such hire crates for the larger breeds will more likely be the norm than privately owned crates.

Edited by wayrod

•Dimensions:

PP10 33 x 33 x 48.5 cm

PP20 37 x 37 x 52 cm

PP30 43 x 45 x 62 cm

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm

Thank you, the pp40 is not quite big enough but the PP50 will be perfect. I have a large Vari kennel but it is a bit big.

XLarge 110cm 70cm 80cm

XXLarge 120cm 75cm 85cm

If you have a skye kennel the large will fit folded in half in the back of a ford station wagon,it will not fit in one piece.

Basically at the other end you need a van or no luggage to fit dogs plus crate in car :) .

The last time i flew with the Skye i luckily had 1 dogs was only away for 3 days & could fit my gear plus grooming box in a small suitcase.I also took my large soft crate as the weather for the shows where to hot for a Skye/vari .

My biggest peeve is why Virgin & Qantas can't have the same height limits (unless oversized)

Virgin is 80cm

Qantas 84 cm .

I have one that makes the size the other is a giant which i will most likely sell

fixed due to typo

Edited by showdog