Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Reasons Why Dog Stops Eating - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Reasons Why Dog Stops Eating Dry food

#1 User is offline   VJB 

• VJB
  • State:NSW

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Since returning home from boarding kennel mid January, my dog has not touched her dry food or Tuckertime, which is her normal diet and she continued on this while at boarding. She has been vet checked thoroughly, and other than a few issues with back pain which we are dealing with, I have no idea why she won't eat her dry food at all. Any ideas....?

I have tried adding water, pumpkin, fish etc, but she tends to just be going for the fish bits and nothing else.

#2 User is offline   jacqui835 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

I have a dog who has never been to boarding but also won't eat his dry food unless he's starving, and even then he will eat only enough to keep going. He also has raw chicken and bones, fish, eggs, meat etc added to his diet which he gobbles down straight away, so we think he just doesn't like dry food.
It's possible the dry food upsets her stomach, or the hardness and dryness makes eating it uncomfortable (perhaps check her teeth?) but otherwise she might just be like my dog since you mention that she also enjoys her fish, just not her dry food...

ETA my dog will actually suck chicken mince off his dry biscuits and spit the biscuits back out :s

This post has been edited by jacqui835: 31 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

#3 User is online   persephone 

• Shutter-click Addict
  • State:SA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

are you sure she received the dry food whilst boarding?

Can/will she eat bones/chew treats, so you can rule out teeth/jaw trouble?

What happens if you just leave food down for 10 minutes, and offer it again next day? NO treats/broth/fish etc.... ?

#4 User is offline   twodoggies2001 

• Forum Regular
  • State:VIC

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

It seems that she doesn't enjoy her dry food if she is just eating the fish. Why not try her with other raw meals and see if she goes for that? It could also be a problem with her teeth, so I would probably have that checked out.

#5 User is offline   VJB 

• VJB

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

If I leave the dry food down, it will stay there for several days. I have to pick it up after a day at the moment, because I saw a possible rat the other night run along our back fence.

She had a gnaw on her deer antler yesterday for the first time in a while, and she is able to eat a deer ear. Her teeth and mouth have been checked twice.

I am giving her the fish, though not enough to fill her normal diet needs. Maybe a third of a cup at most. I am sure the kennels gave her the food (very reputable kennel), although she was sharing with another dog (peak period) so who knows what the situation is re feed times??????

#6 User is offline   twodoggies2001 

• Forum Regular

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

Do you have a problem with feeding anything other than kibble? If she is enjoying the raw etc. then I would go down that path. I am certain there are many DOL members who can give you more information and assistance.

#7 User is offline   VJB 

• VJB

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

View Posttwodoggies2001, on 31st Jan 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

It seems that she doesn't enjoy her dry food if she is just eating the fish. Why not try her with other raw meals and see if she goes for that? It could also be a problem with her teeth, so I would probably have that checked out.

She does not tolerate raw foods well at all unfortunately.

#8 User is offline   jacqui835 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostVJB, on 31st Jan 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

If I leave the dry food down, it will stay there for several days. I have to pick it up after a day at the moment, because I saw a possible rat the other night run along our back fence.

She had a gnaw on her deer antler yesterday for the first time in a while, and she is able to eat a deer ear. Her teeth and mouth have been checked twice.

I am giving her the fish, though not enough to fill her normal diet needs. Maybe a third of a cup at most. I am sure the kennels gave her the food (very reputable kennel), although she was sharing with another dog (peak period) so who knows what the situation is re feed times??????

Sounds like your dog may be the same as mine. Had a taste of the good stuff, and not prepared to settle for anything less anymore... I've left biscuits out for 2 days, and finally he will eat them after a particularly long exercise/play session but he is skin and bones. So now to keep him looking good, I am moving more and more over the raw side of things, and he is all the better for it. He has about 5 times more energy than what he did on the biscuits - I can take him to the beach now and he can swim for literally an hour and then do zoomies up and down the beach. He also defecates less, they don't smell as bad, and his coat is super shiny. Craziest part, it's actually costing me less to buy all the raw foods than what his premium dry food cost...

#9 User is offline   twodoggies2001 

• Forum Regular

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

View Postjacqui835, on 31st Jan 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostVJB, on 31st Jan 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

Sounds like your dog may be the same as mine. Had a taste of the good stuff, and not prepared to settle for anything less anymore... I've left biscuits out for 2 days, and finally he will eat them after a particularly long exercise/play session but he is skin and bones. So now to keep him looking good, I am moving more and more over the raw side of things, and he is all the better for it. He has about 5 times more energy than what he did on the biscuits - I can take him to the beach now and he can swim for literally an hour and then do zoomies up and down the beach. He also defecates less, they don't smell as bad, and his coat is super shiny. Craziest part, it's actually costing me less to buy all the raw foods than what his premium dry food cost...

VJB if you say she can't tolerate raw, are you open to cooking with a very tiny bit of raw? If she is OK with that, perhaps over time you can increase the raw. Jacqui 835 basically summed it up. If you can achieve this, you won't be sorry, and neither will your dog. One thing you must do is feed her edible bones such as poultry carcass, necks, wings, and pork, lamb or veal bones for the calcium content.

#10 User is offline   VJB 

• VJB

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Red meat seems to affect her mostly, chicken works well with her. Anything fatty doesn't agree, and bones make her vomit very soon afterwards. I tried a raw roo tail when she was a pup, and she did alright on this, but once the red meat started affecting her, we've not been able to successfully give her anything again, as the poo problems begin quite quickly.

Tuckertime does have red meat in it, although it has a reputation in not seeming to affect dogs who are sensitive to red meats. :banghead:

#11 User is offline   Lab_Rat 

• Love my girls!
  • State:WA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I feel for you VJB............I have a dog who lives on dry food and lamb mince :laugh: (plus fruit, veges and yogurt & chia seeds)....It is the only meat that doesnt seem to make her itchy or sick.....So she doesnt get bones......I am waiting for the day she turns her nose up at her dry food.....Some days I hear her tummy grumbling away and wonder if she really isnt handling the kibble...She will eat grass frantically for a while, then seems ok...The kelpie on the other hand does really well on her kibble, mince and chicken bits..

Have you tried changing dry food brands???

#12 User is offline   VJB 

• VJB

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Lab Rat. She is currently on Eukanuba light. Originally she was on Advance. I have recently tried Royal Canin. The Eukanuba is the only one so far that has not given her grief.
Seems to have something to do with the fat content. I only recently slowly introduced the Royal Canin, as this is what they opt to feed at the boarding kennel,, but within a few days I could see the telltale signs of it irritating her system. Thankfully, kennels allowed me to bring my own food.

#13 User is offline   ruthless 

• www.ruthlessthings.com

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

Ivan started refusing dry food when he got pancreatitis. We didn't know he was sick. We thought he was just being difficult.

#14 User is offline   showdog 

• owned by dogs
  • State:Overseas

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

although she was sharing with another dog (peak period) so who knows what the situation is re feed times??????

Did you not ask how they feed 2 strange dogs sharing a kennel??
Did there kennel look like one could be shut in & one out when being feed??

As a kennel owner i have to say the "peak period" double is really bad form but seems to be the in thing over east .

Did she lose weight whilst in boarding??
Could she have been bullied whist eating by the other dog ,if she has bad back pain the other dog may have been to much for her & she is slowly getting over it.

Did they feed the same variety of Tucketime that you do or a different one

#15 User is offline   Lab_Rat 

• Love my girls!
  • State:WA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Ill remember that Ruthless!!

It would be so much easier if they could tell us what was going on!

VJB - have you had her blood tested for anything?? Maybe there is something going on in there!!

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions