Is A Blue Stafford Breeder Unethical?

mr.mister

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of blue staffords you are looking at but all the ones I have come across have Black Noses, Dark Nails and Dark Eyes with good confirmation and these are Australian breed dogs most champions in the ring. As for skin Allergies ect they are no different to any other Stafford I think its a case of you like them or you don't there are predigest people every where and just because they dont like the colour does not mean they are a bad dog and should be baged it is still a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in every way. The looks, temperment and their love of people I can keep going on, A Stafford is a Stafford no matter the colour. Don't judge a book by its cover:) If there are bad Staffords out there Its the person who breed the dog or owns the dog you should look at as some of these can be rough around the edges.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a SBT breeder. I have never owned a SBT. I do however have a family member who breeds these 'rare and elusive' blue SBT's, and will charge you around $2000 for the pleasure of buying one of her.

None of her dogs or any of the other hundreds of Blue's I've seen over the years (I've worked as a Vet Nurse and a groomer and managed a pet shop, so have come in contact with thousands of dogs of many different breeds) have been a 'good' example of the breed. Every single one of them has been hugely oversized with massive heads, have heaps of loose skin and many have been an ugly washed out brown/blue colour and even the ones that are a lovely steely blue are still way bigger than a SBT is meant to be.

As for the black noses, I think you'll find that it is actually a very dark steel blue.

My question Keltoi, is if they are so lovely, great examples of the breed and all 'show quality' then why are no reputable breeders showing them? Who exactly is breeding these dogs you are refering to?

Before you say anything, think about how you would feel jf your sisters fiancé criticized your brand new puppy, the breeder he bought him from, the breeders practices, the price he paid.

Then say "he's beautiful!" like you mean it and leave it at that.

why ? if one of my family went out and purchased a blue pup, they'd certainly be subject to what I thought.

followed by not to bother to come to me when poo hits the fan, because they have been warned.

RSG as a SBT person it would be very remiss of you NOT to say something. For the average layman, dealing with "family" and not having all the relevant information at hand it can be dangerous waters indeed.

Since the sisters Fiance has already purchased the puppy I would simply also say "beautiful Puppy" and at some point advise them to be observant of possible skin problems so that the dog does not have to suffer unnecesarily due to lack of information.

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of blue staffords you are looking at but all the ones I have come across have Black Noses, Dark Nails and Dark Eyes with good confirmation and these are Australian breed dogs most champions in the ring. As for skin Allergies ect they are no different to any other Stafford I think its a case of you like them or you don't there are predigest people every where and just because they dont like the colour does not mean they are a bad dog and should be baged it is still a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in every way. The looks, temperment and their love of people I can keep going on, A Stafford is a Stafford no matter the colour. Don't judge a book by its cover:) If there are bad Staffords out there Its the person who breed the dog or owns the dog you should look at as some of these can be rough around the edges.

:thumbsup:

Anyone that breeds SBT's and is hoping to get blue or does a mating knowing they will produce it , isn't ethical.

Don't necessarily agree with that one. Depends on the strength of the ''will produce it'' I guess. A lot of the older SA lines produce blue on a regular basis, the breeders knew this and it didn't generally bother them either way - they did the best mating they could knowing it was likely there would be a blue - they didn't do the mating because they knew there would be a blue but because it was the best mating they could decide on but they knew the dilute was there and likely to appear. They had the knowledge it was there but weren't motivated by this knowledge----fine difference :thumbsup:

I agree its no different to people who breed with a line that may produce any other of the number of faults. The people who breed for the colour or who hide the gentic possibility of faults in their lines to me are not ethical and i would consider the breeders who use dogs or bitches that are knowingly going to produce puppies that carry or present health faults worse than blue breeders.

Obviously the Staffie standard needs to change. It either needs to disallow blues or the nose criteria needs to change. That it is currently in conflict is stupid.

Unfortunately i dont think this will prevent people breeding the colour considering that the majority of these dogs arnt shown anyway

I think that rather than drive the new blue owner back into the arms of the blue breeder clique we need to educate them and encourage them into owning healthy staffords regardless of colour. Maybe you could promote the idea of desexing the dog to prevent him/her beinh used for breeding further down the track especially if only purchased as a pet.

I have been told that the pup (a bitch) will be desexed fbc, which I think is great, but am also going to take it with a grain of salt as my sister has a habit of 'forgetting' to desex her animals - that being said though, I imagine the fiance might be a bit more vigilant. Sis rehomed her entire male rottie a few years back to some backyard breeders, much to my frustration.

Thats amazing that a blue to blue can cause so much problems in staff bulls . thats not the case with Amstafs . blue has become the fashion in both breeds and unfortunately the backyarders will just keep on keeping on

It's not only an issue with Backyard breeders, but also an issue with ANKC registered breeders who are choosing to breed blue to blue, knowing that the pups they are producing are not conforming to the breed standard and will never do the breed any justice.

Thats amazing that a blue to blue can cause so much problems in staff bulls . thats not the case with Amstafs . blue has become the fashion in both breeds and unfortunately the backyarders will just keep on keeping on

It's not only an issue with Backyard breeders, but also an issue with ANKC registered breeders who are choosing to breed blue to blue, knowing that the pups they are producing are not conforming to the breed standard and will never do the breed any justice.

Just wondering, apart from not having black noses (and the obvious risk of skin problems that have been highlighted ) why blues seem to not be good examples, conformation wise of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier??

Just wondering, apart from not having black noses (and the obvious risk of skin problems that have been highlighted ) why blues seem to not be good examples, conformation wise of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier??

I've been curious, too i.e. why is a blue SBT any worse than any dilute colour in any other breed. Colour dilution alopecia can happen in dilute colours among Kelpies and other dogs but the SBTs blue seem to be much worse for some reason.

Because some people just breed them for the colour to make money, they use anything as long as it's blue.

They flaunt the colour blue as rare, it is not. Joe Public does not realise this and pays more for them.