Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Comfortis - Is It Safe - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Comfortis - Is It Safe And Where To Get It?

#1 User is offline   GABBA 

• Forum Member
  • State:NSW

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

I have been having flea problems with my dog for a while now, and have tried many different products (however no tablet based products). I was listening to a Vet show on the radio today driving home from work and i heard that "Comfortis" was one of the most successful products available and was recommended by the vet.
I however read on the website that there are side effects such as depression/lethargy, decreased appetite, incoordination, diarrhea, itching, trembling, excessive salivation and seizures. Im wondering if anyone has used this product, and if they have had any problems....or any luck with it.

Also, aside from eBay, where would one buy it from? (Weight range: +40kg)

Thanks.

PS: Poor old Cindy who died this morning at 9:33am, 14 years old.

This post has been edited by GABBA: 12 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

#2 User is offline   Crisovar 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

Have one client who has a small terrier cross that has had a bit of nausea, but have heard of no other reactions from clients. Good reports from almost everyone that is using it.
I have used it for my GSD for 9 months now and no probs with her.
The most common side effect apparently is nausea or vomiting.
Most Vets should have it on the shelf.

#3 User is offline   aussielover 

• Forum Regular

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Sorry to hear about Cindy ;)

We commonly get dogs that vomit after having a comfortis tablet. HOwever, these are generally dogs that have it on an empty stomach. We recommend giving it with a small meal, to minimize the risk of vomiting.

We haven't had any of the "side effects" you have described above. Does it actually say side effects or adverse reaction?
Technically, side effects are known and occur in many animals receiving the treatment eg. excessive hunger and thirst and increased urination on corticosteroids.
An adverse reaction occurs rarely, in individual animals.

We have had a lot of success using comfortis, many clients report it is the only thing that has got rid of the fleas.

#4 User is offline   Danois 

• Forum Regular

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

I've had no issues with it here.

I believe the information with it says to give it with a meal.

#5 User is offline   Everythings Shiny 

• AKA "Boots"

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

All our staff use it. Reps told us must be given with a meal as it works best when the stomach is actively digesting to get the best out of it.

My 3 dogs + 1 rescue haven't had any troubles.

#6 User is offline   fuzzy82 

• Forum Regular

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

I had been using Revolution for about 6 months, and was still finding live fleas on my puppy, but not on the adult dog. I decided to try Comfortis last month (2-3 weeks ago) and haven't seen a flea since. No side effects either, and at the pet store they said it's their most popular flea product these days.

#7 User is offline   corvus 

• Resisting hysteria

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

Kivi vomited the first couple of times he had it even given I gave it with a meal. Both dogs were slightly more quiet the first time. Not long ago Erik got an overdose because Kivi dropped his tablet and Erik dived on it. Erik became a zombie for a few hours and was extremely drowsy. But he was fine after that. I don't think it's stuff to use lightly, but then, maybe no medication is. Sure as hell was worth it, though. Dogs are a lot happier flea-free.

#8 User is offline   KitKat 

• GSD Addict and Palm oil free

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

I've been using it on my GSD's - and i'm a convert, we've never had an issue with them vomiting (but it's always given with a meal) and the fleas are finally not harrasing my dogs. One of my dogs has an allergy to fleas AND an allergy to some of the spot on products - so he's finally flea free, sore free and growing back a nice glossy black coat ;)

#9 User is offline   FionaC 

• Yes I am a Conehead!

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

both my two have been taking it for 3mths now - no side effects in either dog... both are given it with a meal ... seems to work really well, we were using Sentinal Spectrum but it wasn't controlling the fleas, so we switched to Comfortis + heartworm (I forget which one) cause the boys would bring in fleas from outside and they wouldn't really bother them or stay on them but go straight to our poor indoor kitty - but once we got them onto the Comfortis the flea situation for the cat has cleared up

#10 User is offline   GABBA 

• Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

Ah ok, well it sounds like it is generally an accepted product, not some sort of hoax. So are vets the only places that sell them, or are there any other places (I am located in Sydney)

#11 User is offline   roseava 

• Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

I use it and love it. The topical stuff did nothing to get rid of fleas on my dogs and when I gave them comfortis the fleas disappeared all together. No symptoms at all. You can get if from pet supply stores as well as vets. There are also numerous online supply stores that supply it as well. Shop around and get a good price, sometimes online suppliers are much cheaper.

#12 User is offline   vetrg 

• Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

There are several anecdotal reports about the use of Comfortis and vision loss in dogs (reported in the USA) and there is a warning from the manufacturer about its use at the same time as the avermectins.

#13 User is offline   Crazy Daisy 

• Forum Regular

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

I buy mine through ebay. It has been the cheapest place by far. Just check the expiry date with the seller.

#14 User is offline   PooMother 

• Forum Regular

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

www.pricelesspets.com.au

#15 User is offline   Scarlett Dog 

• Bull Terrier Lover

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

i've used it since Scarlett was old enough. All my previous bull terriers have had major skin problems thanks to fleas. I have never found a a flea on her and she's had no side effects

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions