Comfortis - Is It Safe

GABBA

I have been having flea problems with my dog for a while now, and have tried many different products (however no tablet based products). I was listening to a Vet show on the radio today driving home from work and i heard that "Comfortis" was one of the most successful products available and was recommended by the vet.

I however read on the website that there are side effects such as depression/lethargy, decreased appetite, incoordination, diarrhea, itching, trembling, excessive salivation and seizures. Im wondering if anyone has used this product, and if they have had any problems....or any luck with it.

Also, aside from eBay, where would one buy it from? (Weight range: +40kg)

Thanks.

PS: Poor old Cindy who died this morning at 9:33am, 14 years old.

Edited by GABBA

Have one client who has a small terrier cross that has had a bit of nausea, but have heard of no other reactions from clients. Good reports from almost everyone that is using it.

I have used it for my GSD for 9 months now and no probs with her.

The most common side effect apparently is nausea or vomiting.

Most Vets should have it on the shelf.

Sorry to hear about Cindy ;)

We commonly get dogs that vomit after having a comfortis tablet. HOwever, these are generally dogs that have it on an empty stomach. We recommend giving it with a small meal, to minimize the risk of vomiting.

We haven't had any of the "side effects" you have described above. Does it actually say side effects or adverse reaction?

Technically, side effects are known and occur in many animals receiving the treatment eg. excessive hunger and thirst and increased urination on corticosteroids.

An adverse reaction occurs rarely, in individual animals.

We have had a lot of success using comfortis, many clients report it is the only thing that has got rid of the fleas.

I had been using Revolution for about 6 months, and was still finding live fleas on my puppy, but not on the adult dog. I decided to try Comfortis last month (2-3 weeks ago) and haven't seen a flea since. No side effects either, and at the pet store they said it's their most popular flea product these days.

Kivi vomited the first couple of times he had it even given I gave it with a meal. Both dogs were slightly more quiet the first time. Not long ago Erik got an overdose because Kivi dropped his tablet and Erik dived on it. Erik became a zombie for a few hours and was extremely drowsy. But he was fine after that. I don't think it's stuff to use lightly, but then, maybe no medication is. Sure as hell was worth it, though. Dogs are a lot happier flea-free.

I've been using it on my GSD's - and i'm a convert, we've never had an issue with them vomiting (but it's always given with a meal) and the fleas are finally not harrasing my dogs. One of my dogs has an allergy to fleas AND an allergy to some of the spot on products - so he's finally flea free, sore free and growing back a nice glossy black coat ;)

both my two have been taking it for 3mths now - no side effects in either dog... both are given it with a meal ... seems to work really well, we were using Sentinal Spectrum but it wasn't controlling the fleas, so we switched to Comfortis + heartworm (I forget which one) cause the boys would bring in fleas from outside and they wouldn't really bother them or stay on them but go straight to our poor indoor kitty - but once we got them onto the Comfortis the flea situation for the cat has cleared up

I use it and love it. The topical stuff did nothing to get rid of fleas on my dogs and when I gave them comfortis the fleas disappeared all together. No symptoms at all. You can get if from pet supply stores as well as vets. There are also numerous online supply stores that supply it as well. Shop around and get a good price, sometimes online suppliers are much cheaper.

There are several anecdotal reports about the use of Comfortis and vision loss in dogs (reported in the USA) and there is a warning from the manufacturer about its use at the same time as the avermectins.

I used it for the first time about a week ago after months of battling with fleas introduced by my rescue. She seems really prone to them as when treated the other 4 dogs were fine but she had fleas again with in a week.

Gave everyone comfortis just over a week ago and not a flea in sight, even the cats. But the next day I came home from work and my rescue looked like moths had been at her all day :champagne: and she scratched and scratched and scratched. All of the other dogs were fine, no side effects at all. She is still scratching a bit but it seems to be lessoning. Her coat, whats left of it, is looking dull and horrible. I've now got her on zinc and flaxseed oil.

I ended up getting it ebay, was cheaper and here within 3 days.

I bought Comfortis off Ebay as I found that was the cheapest :laugh:

Have been struggling with fleas all Summer - gave it to my 3 yesterday and today, no fleas!!! YAY! I am so so so impressed with this product.

None of my dogs have had any side effects so far, no vomiting etc and seem their usual happy selfs (minus the fleas!)

• 2 weeks later...
There are several anecdotal reports about the use of Comfortis and vision loss in dogs (reported in the USA) and there is a warning from the manufacturer about its use at the same time as the avermectins.

I was talking to a vet about this recently, there have apparently been a few cases of dogs having "issues" whilst being treated for mange... i.e ivermectin treatment

There is no warning on any Australian packaging, although the company did send out letters to all vets.

Hi Guys,

I am another Comfortis convert. Had limited success with any spot on treatments, seemed to last 3 weeks at best. Gave my boy one dose (was recommended by my vet to give with dinner/meal) and that was it! Bye bye fleas. I gave him the one dose, easily 3 months ago and haven't re dosed since, because despite our extremely wet, hot summer, he hasn't had a single flea on him!

Edited by evil laughs

I might give this stuff a go. Spot on treatments are doing nothing for the dogs. Sentinel spectrum is doing nothing for the dogs. Diatomaceous earth is a waste of money.

It's like we have a new and improved muscle bound super flea that is immune to everything I toss at them :confused:

EDIT ....Looks like I've hit a bump in the road with this product.

Caution

Do not use in puppies less than 14 weeks of age. Keep out of reach of children. Do not administer to cats or other species of animal. Give this medication with food. Do not treat pregnant or lactating bitches unless on the advise of a veterinarian. The safe use of this product on breeding male dogs has not been evaluated. Comfortis may be safely administered to dogs in conjunction with topical tick treatments and collars as well as heartworm and worming medications.

Edited by whippets