Dog Attack/fight On Street

bull-dave

What's the best course of action to take if you witness a dog attack on the street? Should you contact the police or the ACO? I know the police may respond faster but might not know what to do, apart from using a weapon.

Probably done to death but what is the best way to separate dogs or get one dog off another? I know everyone has their own ideas.

I live in WA and I know that calling the police would be my last resort because they take so long to arrive. Maybe the police in Sydney are better manned and have a better response time?

You haven't said whether the dog attack was on a human or another dog/animal.

Just speaking hypothetically.

If it was an attack on a person I'd definitely call the police along with an ambulance. I'm thinking more dog on dog attack. I'm just wondering if it is serious enough to warrant calling the police down. I know police responses are slow aswell. Would ACO respond faster?

I wouldn't bother calling the police.

I had my male neighbour beating up his wife on our verandah. I called 000 straight away while my husband went out there and to try and stop it. And the police came 5 HOURS later :provoke:

We ended up getting her and her kids locked in our house while he rampaged out the front.

So I can't imagine they'd bother at all to come out to a dog fight.

Edited by raineth

Well I am going to incur everybody's wrath here.

Being a lets say, a Senior Citizen I keep out of them. :thumbsup:

I would also suggest that most keep out of them too.

Having seen the injuries that have occurred to owners breaking up their own dog fights.

The stitches and hospital time can be great.

The stitches and hospital time can be great.

So can the bill from the microsurgeon.

If the owners were just standing there (often the case) I'd be trying to get some action and possibly acting myself. I'd certainly risk a limb to help someone being attacked or unable to help their own dog from a roaming one.

Two relatively well matched dogs I'd probably stay out of. It would be a case by case thing but I expect I'd be reluctant to do nothing.

Dog on human attack I would intervene and to hell with any injuries.

Dog on dog, well that would seriously depend on what the owners were doing (assuming at least one was present).

Big/healthy stray dog vs small/old dog being walked by old/infirm person I would intervene without a second thought.

I wonder where everyone lives - I haven't met a stray dog when out walking for over 2 years.

For what it's worth, some years ago I witnessed a dog fight in the show ring, neither handler could restrain or separate their dogs, another gentleman outside the ring, rushed in, dived his hands between the dogs back legs, grabed the testies and lifted. The fight ended there and then and no human suffered any injuries. Something that might be worth while to keep in mind for future reference.

For what it's worth, some years ago I witnessed a dog fight in the show ring, neither handler could restrain or separate their dogs, another gentleman outside the ring, rushed in, dived his hands between the dogs back legs, grabed the testies and lifted. The fight ended there and then and no human suffered any injuries. Something that might be worth while to keep in mind for future reference.

Yes this can happen, but always remember these dogs are on a collar and lead and persons have hold of said dogs.

This method has been used to break up fights for years but don't try it on a lose one :thumbsup:

I was attached once by two dogs... good thing my rottweiler was a champ an defended me but can't think of what would have happened if I had been walking a little fluff ball... anyway I don't know about other states but this was in QLD and as for authorities I called the council (they already knew the dogs) they have records and keep track of offences, they will also confiscate the dogs if the oweners don't comply with regulations. As for breaking up a fight I think I heard something about pulling the dog's behind legs back and separating them that way but you would need one person per dog and you would alway run the risk of the dog redirecting aggression towards you, I now carry a loud air horn which I haven't used as of yet but in theory should scare off an approaching dog...

I can say though it's all about attitude (personally I don't have that) a few times walking the dog with hubby we've encountered dogs that were approaching aggressively and even jumped a couple of fences and got out of their yards but hubby just takes a few steps forward confidently like I'm calm but ready to go for it if you come any closer and without fail they all retreat!!! it's amazing to see but I'm sure I wouldn't have the same effect!

Dog on human attack I would intervene and to hell with any injuries.

Dog on dog, well that would seriously depend on what the owners were doing (assuming at least one was present).

Big/healthy stray dog vs small/old dog being walked by old/infirm person I would intervene without a second thought.

I wonder where everyone lives - I haven't met a stray dog when out walking for over 2 years.

Come and visit my suburb in the ACT, I can't remember last time I went for a decent length walk and didn't see at least one loose dog. They have homes, they just aren't kept at home. Of course only a small proportion of them are aggressive.

I have had someone in a car stop to help when an aggro staffie was trying to have a go at one of mine, she was just a pup at the time. The other owner was there, but he was a kid on a bike who had no lead for the dog and didn't even try to call it off. A bloke driving past saw us in trouble and stopped to help chase the other dog away. I was very grateful for the help.

If a person was being attacked I'd have to try and help. I couldn't not. But if it was a dog fight it would depend a lot on the circumstances.