Professional Teeth Cleaning

prue

Hi All,

Need some help. I need to have my spoodle's teeth professionally cleaned as I noticed some build ups and the bad breath.

My current Vet has quoted me over $500 for professional dental cleaning under anaesthetic. I go to the local vet in the Eastern Suburb so this might contribute to the hefty vet bill.

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a more affordable Vet in Sydney that do dental cleaning at a much lower cost.

My spoodle is about 10 kg in weight so she's medium size dog.

I'd appreciate everyone input...Thank you so much! :rofl:

Edited by prue

Is that for the new laser teeth cleaning? I remember a while back my vet saying there is a new way of doing teeth that is much more expensive than the old scrape-method. It might be best to ask exactly what is included in the costs when you ask for a quote.

I can't help with a vet recommendation though, sorry.

Thats pretty normal for a teeth clean. They have to knock the dog out and keep it under while cleaning the teeth and it takes time and fluids, drugs, 'surgery kit' as they call it, etc. You dont want to go el cheapo when it comes to keeping your dog alive while its having a general anesthetic. SOme may do it cheaper but then on some old threads around mid last year there was discussion on what some vets include and what some charge extra for. You need a detailed quote to explain why it adds up which helps explain theprice.

I would think $250-300 should be the price for a basic scale and polish. If teeth need to come out then obviously the price goes up, but I personally think $500 is a bit much :thumbsup: But best to find out what $500 involves as they may insist on pre-anaesthetic bloods, fluids etc which all push the price up.

Some of the prices I've heard being quoted for routine dental cleaning is outrageous. We had a client come to us with a copy of their bill from their previous vet for a basic scale and polish, coming very close to $1000.

Edited by stormie

When you ring around make sure you get an itemised quote.

Some of the cheaper quotes may not include premedication(makes a anaesthesia safer), supportive fluids (keep blood pressure up=safer), pain relief (necessary if any teeth pulled), nerve blocks (if extracting they don't have to use so much inhalation anaesthesia making it more safe once again).

Also ask what type of monitoring they use ie blood pressure, capnography, spirometry. This equipment helps them monitor the depth of anaesthesia your pup is under and will give them warning if your dog is too deep or about to go downhill under anaethesia.

It allows them to forsee and prevent complications that may arise.

In my book I'd go safety all the time if it were my baby.

cheers

J

Hi All,

Need some help. I need to have my spoodle's teeth professionally cleaned as I noticed some build ups and the bad breath.

My current Vet has quoted me over $500 for professional dental cleaning under anaesthetic. I go to the local vet in the Eastern Suburb so this might contribute to the hefty vet bill.

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a more affordable Vet in Sydney that do dental cleaning at a much lower cost.

My spoodle is about 10 kg in weight so she's medium size dog.

My vet charged double that amount for cleaning my elderly Rottie's teeth. One tooth needed to be extracted so I guess that added to the cost.

I requested fluids and pain relief. She was came home with pain meds and antibiotics so I thought the price was ok.

I had bloods done before the surgery and that was an additional charge paid for before the surgery so not included in the $1000 cost.

I have found that regular cleaning, 2-3 times a week with a doggy tooth brush and tooth paste saves all those outrageous bills, it doesn't take long for your dog to accept cleaning regually, also a peice of beef brisket bone after their evening meal daily also helps with any problems that may occur.

I have practised this for over 25 years and never had a dental bill yet. :mad

Depending on whether the dog was more or less than 10kg (but less than 20kg) and the degree of tartar build up, our practice would be $250 - $350 for a dental exam under GA, scale and polish. Extractions, further treatment, dental xrays etc and pre-anaesthetic blood tests are additional. This is in Western Sydney. If everything was charged at it's full price in a general practice it could easily come to $500 by the time the final charge includes a general anaesthetic, hospital stay, blood tests, the dentistry, IV fluids and an antibiotic injection if it is given. Sometimes dentistry is charged at a different rate to other procedures, sometimes it isn't. It might also depend on whether a vet is performing the dentistry, or a qualified nurse.