Seven Yr Old Savaged By Dog At His School Gates

RottnBullies

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jude recovering at home last night with his sister cara

A BOY of seven suffered horrific head and eye injuries in a savage dog attack outside his school.

Jude Keir was set upon by a Staffordshire bull terrier just seconds after he left the playground with pals.

He went to pet the animal, which suddenly pinned him to the ground and attacked.

Last night, his parents said Jude could have been killed.

And they thanked hero parent Chris Hemming and a mum who managed to drag the dog off Jude.

Dad Derek, 37, said: "If it had not been for them, my son could have lost his eye or been killed. We can't thank them enough.

"Jude was pinned down and screaming. We know we have been very lucky.

"The hospital had a worry with his eyelid being totally split, but we are hoping he can make a full recovery."

Parents and children were left traumatised by Tuesday's attack outside Woodhead Primary School in Hamilton.

Last night, hero dad-of-two Chris, 34, told how he and an unidentified mum fought to get the dog off the youngster.

He said: "One minute things were normal, the next I heard really savage snarling and growling. I looked over and the dog had pinned something to the ground.

"I thought it was another dog, but then I saw it was a boy and heard ear-splitting screams.

"I ran over and yanked at the lead. The dog was out of control. It was barbaric. I had to use my full strength.

"I remember thinking that if its jaws had locked I could be doing more harm than good, but I had no choice.

"I finally got the dog off and the boy was covered in blood. I couldn't see how bad the injuries were. It was horrific."

Chris, whose daughter Kimberley, six, had left the school seconds earlier, said: "A woman in her 20s with fairish, red hair had been with the dog. It happened so quickly and without warning that it got away from her."

Seconds after the attack, dad Derek arrived.

Chris said: "I thought he was going to go for me because I was standing with the dog on the lead by that time. This has rattled everyone. What happened will live with me forever."

Another mum who witnessed the attack said last night: "If that man and the other woman had not been there to help, that wee boy would have been killed.

"It was not going to stop."

Jude, who celebrated his seventh birthday just 10 days ago, had been walking out of school when the dog - which was on a lead but not muzzled - ran to him. The owners later told other parents they had only had the animal for a day.

Jude was rushed to Wishaw General Hospital, then transferred to Yorkhill Sick Kids Hospital in Glasgow.

He needed 40 stitches put in a horrendous eye wound.

Last night, he was recovering at home with dad Derek, his mum Kelly-Anne, brother Jay, 10, and sister Cara, two, Derek said: "We're really grateful to the guy who jumped in. I almost went for him because he was standing with the dog when I arrived. We're so thankful to him."

Kelly-Anne, 32, said: "Those who ran to help saved Jude. And the staff at the hospitals were absolutely brilliant.

"He's a resilient wee boy, but they calmed him down so much he was soon sitting up watching cartoons of dogs on TV.

"We know the school has no control over what happens just outside the school gates.

"But why do parents bring dogs into a situation where young children are leaving for the day, particularly if this one had been with its owner for just one day? It's madness."

The dog has been reported to police and officers revealed that a man of 50 and two women, aged 24 and 26, would be the subject of reports to the procurator fiscal.

I'd love to know more about how a dog onlead got loose, attacked a child and apparently the owners, who'd had it for a day did nothing. I wonder what the history of the dog was but I guess we're unlikely to find out. Sounds like the dog was in a home with kids too. :thumbsup:

Poor kidlet, hope he makes a full physical and mental recovery.

What were the owners thinking! Lucky thay guy was there!

Gosh some peoples comments make me sick to the stomach, bloody closed minded people who believe everything the media feed them.

Noticed because the dog could be clearly identfied as a Stafford It didn't have the breed at all in the headline, But if it was an unknown cross breed it would have had Pitbull in the headline.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

What a tragedy. The question must be why on earth they took a dog they owned for ONE DAY out in public, and to a school, when they demonstrably couldn't control the dog, and obviously has NFI.

A little boy has been damaged, the dog will probably lose his life, the owners will probably be fined ----- all because they had so little dog sense, or such an inflated opinion of their handling capacity. Thank heavens for the rescuer.

People who are not responsible should not own dogs. Does no one tell them "keep hold of the lead"?

That poor little boy, I hope he heals physically and mentally. I am suprised however at my sons schol by how many people have their dogs tied up at the school gate whilest they go and collect their children. One woman ties her Lab right at the entry where it barks and lunges at people/children who walk past it. I will be telling her about this incident as she seems impervious to other comments.

Wiseguy, I certainly dont see why you posted the video link about the Pit Bull attack in Texas, lets leave Pitties out of this one, they are not implicated in this particular attack whatsoever :cheer:

What a tragedy. The question must be why on earth they took a dog they owned for ONE DAY out in public, and to a school, when they demonstrably couldn't control the dog, and obviously has NFI.

A little boy has been damaged, the dog will probably lose his life, the owners will probably be fined ----- all because they had so little dog sense, or such an inflated opinion of their handling capacity. Thank heavens for the rescuer.

People who are not responsible should not own dogs. Does no one tell them "keep hold of the lead"?

I wonder where this dog came from? I think the source of the dog (be it a rescuer or person who sold it via the paper) bears most of the blame here.

The RSPCA (to my knowledge) certainly don't tell people not to take dogs out after one day. They don't teach people how to hold a lead effectively (most people I see hold the leash incorrectly. Even at the Big Dog Day Out I saw a few dogs breaking free of their leashes).

Do most rescues do this?

I will never forget the night I took my boy to the Emergency Vet because he had swallowed a stick. There was a woman there who was beside herself. She had a cav who had been attacked by a rottie x. The owner of the rottie had the dog for 1 week. She got him from the RSPCA and they told her he didn't like small dogs. Obviously she never drew the connection that this statement meant he would kill a small dog given the chance.

My point is, if someone in a trusted position (RSPCA, well known rescue) doesn't say there could be issues and give specific, written instructions on what to do/not do, then most people will think all is okay.

There's a double whammy in action here. The kind of owner to take on a dog without knowledge of its background is probably the same kind of owner who's going to have trouble handling any issues that arise.

That kind of owner IMO is a novice who doesn't think that temperament testing might be necessary.

I honestly think some owners see all dogs as the same basic behaviour in different shaped packages.

So they get a dog from the paper, from a friend or from a pound or shelter and never anticipate issues.

When they come they don't have the knowledge or skills to deal with them. Why wouldn't such an owner take a new family dog to got pick up the kids? Why wouldn't such an owner drop a lead or allow it to be pulled away by a strong unfamiliar dog. And why wouldn't an owner be paralysed into freezing when their dog attacked someone.

That's why it behoves those who place dogs into such homes to make damn sure that a novice owner can deal with them. If that dog was rehomed by a rescue or shelter without temperament testing then I know where I'd be placing liability for what happened.

Edited by poodlefan

Did I ruffle your feathers wiseguy???

How very noble of you to drag the Pit Bull In this when It has nothing to do with It what so ever :cheer:

Yes unfortunately the nanny dog Is also capable of doing harm, but off course you find a way to try and turn the tables. And you say the Pit Bull folks are their worst enemies?

Maybe you need to look In your own backyard and stop blaming the Pitty for your woes

Link

Sorry I'm having problems with copy and pasting article here, If someone else can, much appreciated

Terrible.

But it could have been worse

That poor little boy, I hope he heals physically and mentally. I am suprised however at my sons schol by how many people have their dogs tied up at the school gate whilest they go and collect their children. One woman ties her Lab right at the entry where it barks and lunges at people/children who walk past it. I will be telling her about this incident as she seems impervious to other comments.

Wiseguy, I certainly dont see why you posted the video link about the Pit Bull attack in Texas, lets leave Pitties out of this one, they are not implicated in this particular attack whatsoever :cheer:

Well said. It is madness to have dogs near children when either the children or dogs may not handle the situation safely. When are the adults going to take the full responsibility for these problems ?

One kid has serious injuries. One kid died. Doesnt matter what the breed is - what matters is irresponsible bloody owners.

Those poor children. The one that survived will probably be terrified of dogs for the rest of his life. The one that died is dead - poor little bugger. It's about time stupid bloody owners started taking responsibility for their bloody animals

Edited by raz

Terrible.

Wiseguy:

Yes this could've been a lot worse had a brave parent not rescued the poor boy.

This incident has left a poor boy in hospital and all you care about is trying to divert the attention onto the pitbull.

Not one person on this thread as diverted the blame onto the breed (which is a step forward), everyone has posted rational comments and if new dog owners happen to read it they may learn something.

Terrible.

Wiseguy:

Yes this could've been a lot worse had a brave parent not rescued the poor boy.

This incident has left a poor boy in hospital and all you care about is trying to divert the attention onto the pitbull.

Not one person on this thread as diverted the blame onto the breed (which is a step forward), everyone has posted rational comments and if new dog owners happen to read it they may learn something.

No offence guys but can you keep the APBT vs SBT bashing for the BSL thread. Some of us genuinely don't give a damn what breed of dog it was. And, no, the irony of those statements isn't lost on me. :)

Edited by poodlefan

What if.......the dog owner was not told that there was any issues with the dog?

What if.......the people who sold them the dog did no temperament testing?

What if.......the people who sold the dog only got it the day before it was on-sold?

What if.......

I really want to know what the full story is and where the family got the dog from...until then I am making no judgements except to say this is an awful situation for all and I am so sorry a child was injured.

There's a double whammy in action here. The kind of owner to take on a dog without knowledge of its background is probably the same kind of owner who's going to have trouble handling any issues that arise.

Yet people adopt dogs from the pound, have no idea of their background, and don't have these sorts of issues.

Yet people adopt dogs from the pound, have no idea of their background, and don't have these sorts of issues.

Sadly, not all are as lucky.

I don't think this should fall badly upon pound dogs either, Yes It was a very unfortunate

thing to happen, but ultimately It really Is the owners whether they be new or old resposibility to familiarize themselves with their dog especially during the first couple of weeks that dog has been purchsed etc

Sadly, not all are as lucky.

yes I agree. I know of one dog adopted from the pound and euthanised by the new owners 2 days later because it attacked a child in the family.

Before any dog of an unknown background is sold I think it critical that the seller knows about the dog either by holding it long enough for the temperament to be known or by temp testing it because otherwise IMO they could be selling a ticking bomb