It's Been 12mths & 2 Days

gsdog2

Five weeks today I lost my beautiful shepherd Silas to gastric torsion and I'm still finding myself crying - when does it stop? I miss him so much and I'm finding it so hard to accept he's never coming back, I've lost dogs before but the heartbreak this time is unbearable :D

Edited by gsdog2

I've lost a few dogs and i will never forget them. But one of them was extra hard. She died over 8 years ago and sometimes I still cry over her. But it does get easier with time, and the tears gradually become less often. Hugs to you. Lots of people here will understand what you are going through. I think this forum may be the only place some people can find others who understand what a dog can mean to you. I know thats the case for me, even though I haven't spoken about the dogs I have lost on here before. When it happens, this is where the support will be.

I totally understand :clap: I had to say goodbye to Enya 4 weeks ago - she was a heart dog for me, the closest bond I have ever had with a dog - and I still find myself crying over her. I can be fine one minute and in tears the next - sometimes I can talk about her, sometimes I can't.

All I can offer you is that over time the pain will lessen, and you will spend more time remembering with smiles rather than tears - until then you need to be kind to yourself, let yourself cry when you need to, and give yourself time :clap: :D

I lost my heart dog over 15 years ago and her memory still brings the odd tear here and there.

As long as you aren't wallowing in guilt or depression then grieve as long as you need to.

Anything more, I would seek professional advice.

I totally understand :clap: I had to say goodbye to Enya 4 weeks ago - she was a heart dog for me, the closest bond I have ever had with a dog - and I still find myself crying over her. I can be fine one minute and in tears the next - sometimes I can talk about her, sometimes I can't.

All I can offer you is that over time the pain will lessen, and you will spend more time remembering with smiles rather than tears - until then you need to be kind to yourself, let yourself cry when you need to, and give yourself time :clap: :D

Such good advice Allerzeit :happydance:

I am still crying over Zeus sometimes but the ache is lessening & being replaced with smiles about funny things he did. I am finding that looking at photos & videos & telling & listening to stories about him helps me to smile.

Thanks everyone for your kind words - it's nice to know I'm not on my own. My OH was very upset at the time but he seems to have been able to move on and I think he would be surprised to know I'm still crying over Silas as it usually happens when I'm on my own. Today it was a sad song, yesterday I came home from work with my other shepherd (who adored Silas) and she jumped out of the car and ran to the gate where he always used to wait for us. With her so obviously missing him adds to my sadness. Silas was my heart dog, there were times he would look at me and I felt he was looking straight into my soul, we had such a close connection. Often he knew what I wanted from him before I asked, and when we competed in the obedience trial ring judges commented on how beautifully he worked. I don't think he even liked the trial ring,but he did it for me because he loved me so much.

Allerzeit you're right, one minute I can talk about him without any problems, and yet other times I cry. I know it upsets my family when I tear-up because they blame themselves for talking about him to me, but other times I'm fine. Never have I felt the loss of one of my dogs so much.

Persephone I find myself going back to that day wondering what I could have done differently to have prevented what happened. I think that's what's making his loss so hard - at 7.30 pm he was perfectly fine and within 5 hours he was gone. I have never cried so much in my life as I did the night we lost him :D

I think I was the worst. I ended up getting help. I had never lost any family member before I lost my dog and so the grief was horrendous. Time does heal (apparently)....

I made a scrapbook up , I made a slideshow of photos and added sad songs and allowed myself to cry.

I have no other words for you.

But you are not alone, we have all gone through it.

It has been 18months for me and tears still flow regularly.

Oh, and pour your heart out in here - seriously... the support that you get on the DOL Rainbow Bridge is amazing and will help, I promise.

My heart absolutely goes out to you, cry like a banshee in here, because we understand your pain and will be your rock to lean on :clap:

:clap: and :D to you gsdog2

I think I was the worst. I ended up getting help. I had never lost any family member before I lost my dog and so the grief was horrendous. Time does heal (apparently)....

I made a scrapbook up , I made a slideshow of photos and added sad songs and allowed myself to cry.

pumpitdog I made the decision earlier today that I would make a slideshow of photo's and ask my son (who plays the guitar and writes some beautiful songs) to add the music. I'm doing this because I'm struggling with the idea that he's never coming back and I'm hoping that in some way this will help keep his memory clear and close.

Allerzeit thank you and returning the :hug: to you too

pumpitdog I made the decision earlier today that I would make a slideshow of photo's and ask my son (who plays the guitar and writes some beautiful songs) to add the music. I'm doing this because I'm struggling with the idea that he's never coming back and I'm hoping that in some way this will help keep his memory clear and close.

Allerzeit thank you and returning the :thumbsup: to you too

This has been about the 2nd time I have beenback in Rainbow Bridge thread as it hurt so much , as I have seen the others go through it also since I lost Sam 3 months ago

the tears still come so strong some days , and others not as bad

it hurts like heck not to see him or cuddle him

one thing mentioned above helped me on the rough days

I made a tribute for Sam also

I started of in tears but always had a smile or laugh at his antics

it helped ease it abit to laugh at his ways and to know he was much loved and still much loved and always will be

They wont leave our hearts ever

:thumbsup:

So sorry to hear this Henri :) He was such a handsome dog. I don't have any advice, I just want you to know I am thinking of you :(

Thanks Bec - he was handsome on the outside and and extra special on the inside

when when the tears stop ? , honestly hun I dont think they do , been 2 plus years since Sinna went to the bridge

and to this day I still have tears each day I miss her so much , Many a wonderful DOL person

was there to talk to me and also one lovely lady made a You Tub clip " Tribute to Sinna "

for me , I thank them deeply for their support .

all I can say is let the tears flow and maybe with time you will also smile and

remember the funny little things that Silas did ,

sending :rofl: to you and all Dol'ers who are missing their special heart dogs .

My thoughts are with you *hugs*, no advice either I'm afraid :laugh:

I found my girl's bed in a box a month or so ago and cried and cried...only been 6 years.

Silas may no longer be with you in the flesh but his spirit and heart live on forever in yours and nobody can ever take that away from you.

Thank you all so much for your hugs (Dolers are very special people :mad ) - I hope your messages of comfort help others who are also struggling with the loss of a special pet.

The sadness I feel for Silas is with me every day but I'm now at the stage where I'm thinking it's ok to feel like this (and have a few tears :laugh: )

How are you coping, gsdog2? Was just thinking about you and hoping that you're bearing up as well as you can :smurfanim: :smurfanim:

Thank you so much Allerzeit. Our family's been very busy and so my mind has been kept occupied iykwim. I went out on the weekend and a friend I hadn't seen since losing Silas offered her sympathy, it's times like that I find very difficult and the tears are close.

How are you coping now without Enya (she looks like she was a beautiful girl)