Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Golden Retriever Attacks 4 People - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Golden Retriever Attacks 4 People Just saw on a TV news article

#31 User is offline   jackie_a1 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hahah Diva living up to your name?

Am I not allowed to state my protest just as you? Am I not allowed to point out the bias in the media as well as on this forum? Am I not entitled to post? Because it upsets you or (others) I should not post my detest? I was stating a factual point and you dismiss me because you're sick of hearing it?

I did not just say pitbull, I mentioned them I also mentioned dobermans, rotties and said ETC. As in anything other than a 'family' known breed.

#32 User is offline   RallyValley 

• Brittany Mad
  • State:WA

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

View PostTempus Fugit, on 25th Mar 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Could the dog have been a blond Hovawart rather than a goldie? The two breeds look similar.

Hmmm seems quite unlikely? I don't think there are very many (if any) Hovawarts in Australia. There are 1000's of goldens, yellow labs and lab/goldie hybrids in Australia... that seems much more likely.

#33 User is offline   Feather 

• Forum Member
  • State:ACT

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Does it really matter at all whether the dog was a Goldie, Lab or Goldie Lab cross? I think we can agree that neither breed are vicious monsters who deserve to be PTS wholesale - it's one individual animal who behaved unacceptably in what may have been an extremely stressful situation. It's unfortunate that it occurred, for the people who were bitten and for the dog, who will probably be PTS, but I doubt it will have wider ramifications for anyone.

As for complaints of breed bias, yep, it's true, had it been a Pitty there would be a whole lot less sympathy for the dog. Unfortunately that's the way the world is, and it's only ever going to change through action, not complaint.

#34 User is offline   jackie_a1 

• Forum Regular

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Whoa haven't met a Hovawart in real life. Don't think I have seen one in Australia. The dog looked bigger than a Hova and a bit more chunkier too

#35 User is offline   jackie_a1 

• Forum Regular

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Through action such as informing people that bias does exist and getting people like yourself to admit it. First step. To recognise there is a problem. There is no denying that most people on here know there is a bias.
This is the point I am making. The dog should be put to sleep. Period. But there is talk of an investigation as to why it attacked which is fine and of course the family deserve that but shouldn't that be a WIDELY applied general rule to all dog attacks then? Why is it different for this dog? Because it is a gr? Or because of the circumstances?

Quick edit to add: Because neither justify the dogs reaction. Just because the owners and neighbours don't want the dog put down doesn't mean it shouldn't. Judging by the video footage it was fearful, anxious and unsure and had just attacked not one but four people. Dangerous combination.

Another edit to add: I'm not debating breeds I am debating why the dog isn't going to be put down? The news reporter said they are investigating to see if it should be put down. Why they would allow such a dog to not be pts immediately? Isn't that normal procedure for dog attacks especially that involve four people?

This post has been edited by jackie_a1: 25 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

#36 User is offline   Feather 

• Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

Did you read my post? There's no need to 'get me to admit it', I said straight out that breed bias exists. I'm just not sure what good complaining about it here is going to do, as I doubt the people with the power to actually change it are reading this topic.

This post has been edited by Feather: 25 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

#37 User is offline   anniebc 

• Forum Member
  • State:SA

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

regardless of the breed .... did anyone see the end of the story....? the poor dog was involved in an "incident" last week and was "held" whatever that might mean at knifepoint. What sort of lifestyle have these people got, poor bloody dog is all i can say

#38 User is offline   jackie_a1 

• Forum Regular

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

Feather, did you read my post? It is not merely a complaint but a question.

By admitting there is a problem breed bias I know you admitted to breed bias but what I'm trying to say is admitting there is a problem is the first step to fixing it. So if no politician is reading this better not voice my discontent cause unless I forward my argument directly to them it will not get heard. This forum is not just for dog fanciers or breeders. The general public use this forum people on the net who look up something random and get directed to this forum can read this. This entire forum is public. So even if one person reads this and becomes aware then isn't that something?

I am not complaining oh woe is me poor targeted BSL. I was simply stating my opinion and facts and YOU interpret that as complaining.

#39 User is offline   Feather 

• Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

Lol, okay. You're entitled to state your opinion and I'm really not all that invested in arguing with you about it - I just think there are more productive ways of going about changing things. But hey, free country!

#40 User is offline   jackie_a1 

• Forum Regular

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

What are we arguing about are you even reading my posts?

Address my question.

#41 User is offline   Inevitablue 

• Forum Regular

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

See they reported that the dog and owner had been confronted with a knife and threatened last week.

#42 User is offline   WendyH 

• Devoted to Cocker Spaniels

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

He looked like a beautiful dog, and happily went on a lead with the guy from the council. :laugh: Poor Buster! The daughter of the neighbour who was attacked said he had been really spooked by the mugging last week when he and his owner were threatened with a knife, and they don't think he should be put to sleep. :) I hope they give him a chance and let a behaviourist assess him.

#43 User is offline   jackie_a1 

• Forum Regular

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thankyou Jakemon for answering my question.

If that's the reason then that's justified for an investigation but I don't believe much I see or read anymore.

#44 User is offline   Crisovar 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

View Postanniebc, on 25th Mar 2011 - 04:51 PM, said:

regardless of the breed .... did anyone see the end of the story....? the poor dog was involved in an "incident" last week and was "held" whatever that might mean at knifepoint. What sort of lifestyle have these people got, poor bloody dog is all i can say

Anybody can be mugged are you assuming these people are dodgy because they were?
No wonder the world is screwed. :laugh:

I actually don't care what breed the dog is ANY dog incident needs to be investigated before a decision is made to end a dogs life.
I have seen many dogs killed through no fault of their own or for retaliation, and yes I do believe that a dog has the right to defend itself. I don't believe that anyone who is not fully aware of the circumstance can make a call.
Those that call for any dog that bites a human under any circumstances to be destroyed as happens every time we have something in the media are unrealistic, we are dealing with animals.

This post has been edited by Crisovar: 25 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

#45 User is offline   huski 

• Team K9 Pro | Malinator handler

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostCrisovar, on 25th Mar 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

I actually don't care what breed the dog is ANY dog incident needs to be investigated before a decision is made to end a dogs life.

I COMPLETELY agree and this is something I feel very strongly about!

Even if the dog does end up being PTS, nothing is learned from the incident if a behaviourial assessment is not done so we can understand why it happened.

Simply having a dog PTS does nothing to prevent future attacks from happening, but if we can learn why they occur in the first place, a lot more can be done prevention wise.

I was talking about this on FB today, Steve from K9 Pro has just said that he has contacted the council and offered a behaviourial assessment on the dog for no cost, link here. Will be interesting to see what comes of this situation.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions