Dog That Sit Like Frogs...

All mine do it. Lucy is 11 with no signs of stiffness or arthritis in any joints and she is nearly always lying in the frog position. Muddy and Daina do it a lot too and Sarge did when he was a pup but not very often anymore. They haven't been xrayed but they have not been diagnosed with any problems and don't seem to have any issues :)

Echoing what others have said - it means nothing other than that your dog finds it comfortable and if you need to know if your dog has "good" or "bad" hips, then xray is the only way to do so.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts always go from 'uh oh..' to 'oh, thank god' as I'm reading threads like this, where it bounces back from good to bad! I think I'm settling on froggy splay not being a problem though. I have no idea what my dog's (toy poodle) hips are but she does the frog all the time. I was actually so pleased when she first did it - I'd never had a froggy dog before, now I get to look at one all the time! I think it's hilarious :thumbsup:

Lying like a frog means nothing. Lots of dogs do it no matter what their hips are like.

Sitting up with the legs still in the same frog position behind them, means they have no hip joints. Pat Hastings showed photos of a dog like this at her seminar.

how do they do this?

it seems impossible....

We call this the frog (sorry about the bad quality, from my phone)

frog.jpg

Peach does it all the time. She even gets off the lounge in 'frog position' front legs hit the floor, then she drags her back legs off, as she stretches into a playbow :laugh:

My Heeler girl lays like this all the time. We call it "the boned chicken" look.

Definately an old wives tale !!

So many ppl say it to me when they see the labs sprawled out like frogs - I just chuckle...... my oldest girl has moderate hip dysplasia and has always done it (so its definately NOT a sign of good hips)

My young boy does it and he has 1:1 hips.....another girl does it 3:4 hips

As for the squiffy sit......I do remember someone telling me at dog obedience once that was a sign of bad hips if they sit off to one side. Ummmm.......I dont think so on that one either. My girl that does it has 0:0 hips. I do note that she does not do the frog thing at all though.

sometimes I see Shelley sitting sideways eg looks to be sitting on her hip. Does this mean she has bad hips? she can jump pretty well, runs around like a crazy person.

I have 2 dogs here, very similar age, and they have exactly the same hip score (5,4). One does the froggy lay all the time, the other has never done it, she does the squiffy side sit. I guess they just do what is comfortable for them.

Lying like a frog means nothing. Lots of dogs do it no matter what their hips are like.

Sitting up with the legs still in the same frog position behind them, means they have no hip joints. Pat Hastings showed photos of a dog like this at her seminar.

how do they do this?

it seems impossible....

Imagine a dog lying like a frog, then sitting up but leaving the back legs in the same position, with the stifle joints still touching the ground and the legs out behind them. Looks really bizarre.

Is it bad for them/a sign of bad hips?

I've heard its a sign of good hips or a sign of really, really bad hips (like no hip socket bad).

Can anyone clarify for me?

Does anyone's dog with hip dysplasia sit like a frog?

My dog doesn't really sit like a frog too often but she often stretches her back legs out right behind her (like in the position you would take radiographs for HD!)

I often wondered if this photo of my puppy, sitting on the right, gives away the secret of his future: this puppy, now 9 month old, has developed severe hip dysplasia, with a PennHip score of O.88. :cry:

post-37650-0-85661300-1308443459_thumb.jpg

what does sitting squiffy mean lol?

Much like a puppy sit - where he dog is rolled back possibly to one side and legs are generally stuck out from the body

Mason sits like that, I really must make a plan to take him to Deb but I need to sort out his fur issue first

I wonder if thats an Aussie thing? My boy will walk off the couch with his front legs and rest his back legs stretched out for a while...one of his daughters does it too.

We call this the frog (sorry about the bad quality, from my phone)

frog.jpg

Peach does it all the time. She even gets off the lounge in 'frog position' front legs hit the floor, then she drags her back legs off, as she stretches into a playbow :hug:

Nope not just a aussie thing, my orange lab does it too!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Hope you all dont mind me adding... This is a frog sit, and yes, CoCo has hip dysplasia :( I cant say whether it is a wives tale or not. Hope this helps. :)

076.jpg

Can I ask if this is what you mean by "sitting squiffy"?

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/seo_1701/Synchronizedsitting3.jpg

And Newman doing the "frog lay". He does this when he is hot.

Frogdog1.jpg

Edited by newco

I think Astra does this also, she will sit with her back legs apart. I've never heard of another dog doing it until now, though.

LOL!!! i like that..... Charlie's been planking ever since i got him.....

he tend to do it after a big walk as soon as we get in the backyard......

TnKHsl.jpg