Grammar Matters

Shakti

A little OT, but a huge billboard near me was spruiking the virtues of a local gym. In huge writing at the top is written "You're Local Gym just around the Corner"

The same gym sent flyers to my letterbox asking me if I needed to "Loose Weight"

The 'Lose' and 'Loose' error is the one that irks me the most!!

You know what I hate? When you go to a dog show, and you loose your bowels. Especially on a hot day when you need the water the most.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grammar errors make me laugh but outright stupid comments in dog ads just leave me :)

I have seen an ad for my breed and they think they are located 1 hour East of Brisbane :p I hope their dogs can swim.

Another one strives to breed "highly strung" dogs. :) Why would anyone want a dog from them?

I live an hour east of Brisbane Dancinbcs (by the way you forgot to add the 'g' in your siggie :-D ) check out the Southern Moreton Bay islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Moreton_Bay_Islands

and we didn't flood in the Brizzie floods either

(and I know that last sentence is grammatically bad bad bad )

Fair enough, except this breeder is not on an island but is actually west of Brisbane.

My siggie is the first 6 letters of my prefix with BCs on the end and there is no "g" in the prefix because it is a combination of parts of names, nothing to do with dancing anyway. ;)

I knew that :-D and besides BCs do dance

Talking about advertising Blue Healers, I had a funny image in my head when I read about Rock Wheelers For Sale, and on a separate occasion, Roddie pups!!!

People describing their rescue dogs as "devine".

Recently read someone describing themself as a "gluten for punishment". Guess spell check won't help that mistake.

The list is endless. This topic could end up running to 100 pages.

Recently read someone describing themself as a "gluten for punishment". Guess spell check won't help that mistake.

The Canberra Times sees itself as a broadsheet on par with The Age or the SMH but its content is pretty ordinary. During Coeliac Awareness Week a few years ago, the CT talked about the need for coeliacs to observe a 'glutton-free' diet. Yes indeed, but gluten-free is more to the point!

And just so my post is dog-related, another plural that makes me gnash my teeth is puppy's.

Poodlefan

Your IT department sounds a bit like ours, and the length of time they take to even pick your call, let alone do something about the problem, would cause incontinence!

My pet peeve in ads are all those Blue Healers running around, I cannot get pictures of Aussie Cattle Dogs in little nurses uniforms!!

annie

Edited by pawsaroundoz

... And in this context the past tense of lay is laid, ie. yesterday I laid the sheets on the bed, the chicken laid an egg.

at the current royal easter show there is a display in the food growers section that describes, in a domino type effect, how much of a grower's product over a 12-month period [i think] will be consumed and so, while not recalling exact numbers, let me say: ... will consume xxx eggs layed by xxx hens ... and so on down the food chain...

also, several years ago and while waiting to pay for my target purchases, i noticed some in-store signage relating to their lay-by terms, one indicating that the balance must be payed according to the lay-by agreement ...

The other one I hate too is when people say 'would of' and 'could of'. It's either would've, could've OR would have, could have. There's no OF involved.

ah, the mystery of contractions :)

Yep, especially 'journalists' either online, newspaper or newsreaders. Drives me batty!

I'm only 30 and we were hardly taught any grammar at school. Now I think they teach even less, and it's so important.

Bad spelling gets me too!! their and they're etc. grrr

I'm 27 so was part of that same period of school that you would have been where we weren't taught any grammar (I think it was about 10 years worth).

Grammar is a huge part of the curriculum these days and as a teacher I find it so hard to teach grammar to my Year 4 class because I was never taught it myself. I have actually had to ask the kids the answer multiple times because they understand it better than I do.

When I was training to become a teacher I was really struggling to get my head around what on earth a clause was. In the end, my supervising teacher grabbed a bright year 6 child, told her that we were testing her knowledge :rofl: and asked her to explain just what the different clauses were. She managed to put it into a simpler language than the grammar books use and I have remembered it ever since.

I tend to agree with this. I'm in my final year of my bachelor's degree and I am taking a copy editing course as an elective. I thought I was pretty good at spelling and grammar but I am learning so much in this class. I think that everyone at uni should have to do some sort of communication class, I wish I had taken this class in my first year not my last! I really agree that they don't teach us enough spelling and grammar at school, I have been out of school for 5 years now and I can't recall doing much of it past primary school.

My biggest hate is people using commas and apostrophes incorrectly. It's not a bunch of dalmation's, the dalmation isn't possessing anything it's just a plural. I hate it when people put apostrophes in its incorrectly too, it's "the dog was looking for its bowl" dammit!

My biggest hate is people using commas and apostrophes incorrectly. It's not a bunch of dalmation's, the dalmation isn't possessing anything it's just a plural. I hate it when people put apostrophes in its incorrectly too, it's "the dog was looking for its bowl" dammit!

Yes!!! I often wonder if an entire generation of school children who are now youngish adults were taught that a plural is always made by adding an apostrophe and an 's' to a word. There's a lot of it about!

Yes!!! I often wonder if an entire generation of school children who are now youngish adults were taught that a plural is always made by adding an apostrophe and an 's' to a word. There's a lot of it about!

the errant apostrophe is one of my pet hates., I used to live opposite a boarding kennel which has a sign FULL of errant apostrophes (eg "breeder's of German Shepherd Dog's" :rofl:) . I was seeing a guy at the time who used to be an English teacher and he was always threatening to sneak over there in the dead of night & cover up all the offending apostrophes. :(

LOL@ Poodlemum's totally off the chain English teaching boyfriend!!

My favourite sign in probably this one in NSW *XXX For All You're Stationary Need's* It was an ad for a place that did personalised wedding invitations etc.

Yep, especially 'journalists' either online, newspaper or newsreaders. Drives me batty!

I'm only 30 and we were hardly taught any grammar at school. Now I think they teach even less, and it's so important.

Bad spelling gets me too!! their and they're etc. grrr

I'm 27 so was part of that same period of school that you would have been where we weren't taught any grammar (I think it was about 10 years worth).

Grammar is a huge part of the curriculum these days and as a teacher I find it so hard to teach grammar to my Year 4 class because I was never taught it myself. I have actually had to ask the kids the answer multiple times because they understand it better than I do.

When I was training to become a teacher I was really struggling to get my head around what on earth a clause was. In the end, my supervising teacher grabbed a bright year 6 child, told her that we were testing her knowledge :rofl: and asked her to explain just what the different clauses were. She managed to put it into a simpler language than the grammar books use and I have remembered it ever since.

My 2 oldest sons are 31 & 33 & when they were in high school I went to a parent teacher meeting & asked the English teacher about grammar. She quickly replied, "We don't teach grammar". That was apparent at the time when on the train you'd hear even students from private schools using terrible grammar.

My pet peeves are people, especially TV presenters saying things like "have a good weekKend", don't they know it should sound like 2 words with only one K in the middle. Anythink instead of anything. Me & ? instead of ? & I. Also singers running words together as in our National Anthum. Lettus rejoice instead of Let Us rejoice. Getchu instead of Get You.

Edited by luvsdogs

I remember back in high school one day a boy called another boy in class a faggot. The teacher overheard and suddenly spoke up loudly " I BEG your pardon? are you saying this boy is a bundle of sticks!? " I dont think anyone except me got the joke:o (not grammar but still)

Apparently fagotti is another name for a bassoon. It was called that because the instrument looked like a pile of sticks thrown into the air and dropped. Well that's the story our Music teacher in high school told us.