How Accurate Are Ultrasounds?

britt3

Around 5-6 weeks they are a good indicator of the approx number. There is often one or two more than they can find with the ultrasound, depending on the litter size and how they are lying. With a big litter they are more likely to miss some. A lot of the accuracy depends on the quality of the ultrasound and the skill of the operator too.

4 weeks is a good time. It's more to confirm pregnancy IMO. A friend recently was told 4 on the ultrasound, her bitch went on to have 12 (largish breed). Vet's guess for Fern via ultrasound is 9, my guess is 10. I am tossing up on whether to get Fern xrayed in the last week.

4 weeks is a good time. It's more to confirm pregnancy IMO. A friend recently was told 4 on the ultrasound, her bitch went on to have 12 (largish breed). Vet's guess for Fern via ultrasound is 9, my guess is 10. I am tossing up on whether to get Fern xrayed in the last week.

OMG that would of been a grand suprise. From 4 to 12 puppies gulp...

Way i see it either they are pregnant or not. For me the idea of Ultrasounds are so you know that they are in whelp because Phantom pregnancies suck!

Agree 26days from mating, around that 4 week mark is the best time for Ultrasound. You could get bloods done too if you have doubts.

Lele last litter told 4-5, got 6.

This time we were told that he can see 4 definates but be prepared for more as he could see a few shadows in the back but couldn't get the wand near that area. She is the size of a house and still has 26 days to go so I'm guessing that "more" factor is a higher possibility.

No matter how he waved the ultrasound wand about sometimes pups higher up or behind others can be missed so numbers aren't always reliable. A really good vet who know his equippment and how to read those results may give a better reading, ours is reasonable but not perfect in ultrasounds.

Basically our machine just shows blobs, dark roundish blobs on a black and white screen. Sometimes feces can also be mistaken for a pup, yes i have heard this happening.

4 weeks - the longer you leave it the more difficult it is to count due to size and space.

4 weeks is sometimes too early and I know of several bitches where they couldn't find them at 4 weeks but could at 5 weeks. At 5-6 weeks you can see definite puppy shapes, see heartbeats and watch them moving around and in the case of one of mine, almost "running around". :eek: Very active babies.

We ultrasound at around 3-4 weeks to confirm pregnancy only. We usually count say 3 or 4 and that's enough, I'm happy with that info. Our vet has a very good, new, ultrasound machine and 2 very good operators. :thumbsup:

At around 8 weeks, we xray to get an accurate idea of numbers, because our imported girl has such big litters and I want to know whether to expect 10 or 13! :D

Jett had her ultrasound at 24 days and he counted 8 puppies but said there are probably a couple more in there as she was looking quite full (his words). 8 days prior to her expected whelp date she had an x-ray and he counted 12 skulls, she was carrying high so he said there may be 1 or 2 more hiding behind the ribcage. 4 days later she gave birth to 14 puppies.

Jett had her ultrasound at 24 days and he counted 8 puppies but said there are probably a couple more in there as she was looking quite full (his words). 8 days prior to her expected whelp date she had an x-ray and he counted 12 skulls, she was carrying high so he said there may be 1 or 2 more hiding behind the ribcage. 4 days later she gave birth to 14 puppies.

Ok you are scarying me. 14 puppies, OMG!!!! :eek: You are right they tuck them up in the rib cage so well some times.

I'm praying for 6 or less. Truthfully one healthy female puppy is all i wanted but the others are a bonus and we don't have a shortage of homes waiting.

In the past I have ultrasounded just to get an idea of numbers, the vets usually say 1 or 2 or more then 3! :laugh: 4 weeks is fine for pregnancy confirmation, if you can't wait to know, leaving it a couple more weeks is more interesting as you can then see little puppy shapes (although not all if they are tightly packed in there).

Last time I went, as I know the vet quite well, I said I just wanted to know colours and sexes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The repro vet I went to said best time is 23 - 30 days. We got Jazz done and the count was 8 or 9 and they said at that clinic they are usually out by no more than 1 to 2 in either direction. Jazz had 9 so it was accurate for us. I have heard of some very inaccurate counts though and also no puppies there when there were.

I considered xray to get an accurate count at the end and did a fair bit of asking around and was told they are not so accurate with larger litters. But then other people say that they are, I ended up forgetting to ask when i had her there for a check up anyway so didn't worry.

Ok you are scarying me. 14 puppies, OMG!!!! :eek: You are right they tuck them up in the rib cage so well some times.

I'm praying for 6 or less. Truthfully one healthy female puppy is all i wanted but the others are a bonus and we don't have a shortage of homes waiting.

I don't think you need to worry about 14 from a Cav, but I do know a of very small Cav bitch that had 10. :D

We basically use ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and get an approx number. You really only need to know if there is just one huge puppy or several/many smaller ones. Also for bitches that have small litters, ultrasounds at 4 weeks then 6-7 weeks can determine if they are re-absorbing. They are also useful close to whelping to check the puppies and work out how big the first one is and what position it is in.

We've had 2 litters ...first litter we did the ultrasound at 4 weeks,( 28 days after first mating ) vet confirmed pregnancy & saw 3 puppies,....she ended up having 8. :)

With our current litter we once again got the ultrasound at 4 weeks,vet once again confirmed pregnancy & saw 6 puppies...she ended up having 9. :)

So in my experience so far, ultrasounds are fantastic for confirming pregnancy...but not really reliable for determining numbers.

My last litter did ultrasound at 4 weeks vet said 5 or 6, she had 8,

I have a litter due in 6 days did ultrasound at 4 weeks vet said 3 puppies. Just watch that old " Murphy's Law "

will be spot on this time (this female has only ever had 2 or 3 puppies)I would love it if just this once she has an extra one tucked up in there. :crossfingers: :crossfingers: