Worming Bitch After Whelping

mini girl

Just wondering what others think about worming during and after whelping - I used to worm during pregnancy but have been told not to do this now - I wormed just before she was mated - my pups are just a day old and mum looks wonderful and all pups good - I'll start the pups on drontal syrup at 2 weeks but have different views on when to worm mum - some say straight away others say wait what is best .

I worm the bitch about a day after I worm the pups - usually use Drontal.

Same here. Do mum one day after each fortnightly puppy worming (starting at 10 days)and I use drontal for puppies and mum. The syrup is useless.

Edited by dancinbcs

I worm the bitch about a day after I worm the pups - usually use Drontal.

Same here. Do mum one day after each fortnightly puppy worming (starting at 10 days)and I use drontal for puppies and mum. The syrup is useless.

My thoughts exactly the only difference is that I first worm at 14 days.

I am not sure if the days we each prefer make a great difference, the most important thing is that you do worm them.

Could be that I am not up on my puppy worming schedule.

I vaguely remember our vet telling me that the worm cycle is 21 days approx - so providing you worm before then they will be fine. I worm at day 14 - bitch is wormed once mated regardless of when she was last done and then when the pups are done.

I have never wormed the pups because my vet states that if the mother has been treated adequately then she will not pass worms on to pups.

ETA. I have never had worms in pups and they get their first tablet at vaccination at 7 weeks.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

Just wondering what others think about worming during and after whelping - I used to worm during pregnancy but have been told not to do this now - I wormed just before she was mated - my pups are just a day old and mum looks wonderful and all pups good - I'll start the pups on drontal syrup at 2 weeks but have different views on when to worm mum - some say straight away others say wait what is best .

Seeing how you are in Qld make sure whatever you use kills Hookworm.