Poor Buddy 12 Year Old Golden Retriever

mumtoshelley

Hi Buddy my mums and I 12 will be 13 year old in august golden retriever back legs seem to shake alot, He seems to have trouble getting up and laying down, He has arthritis in his lower spine. He was getting pain killers everyday,But since feeding him black hawk he hasn't required any pain killers till now. Poor boy so wants to go for walks and play etc but his body just won't allow it. Even after just walking down the backyard and back his back legs shake. His been to the vets plenty of times and they say theres nothing more they can do as he is already getting pain killers. They also don't want to put him through any tests cause of his age.

He is still eatting and drinking pretty well, Just can't exercise or play as he wants too. Shelley has also lost interest in him too, He sometimes trys to play with Shelley but she mostly wealks away, sometimes she will play with him. I don't know what too do,or if there is anything I can do. My mum reckons she can feel his hip bones but he weighs 39kgs, I can feel his ribs without really needing to push in.

I guess I feel kinda upset taking Shelley and Rascal for a walk and seeing Buddy so upset cause he can't go. At times he trys to follow me out the gate which I then have to get my mum or dad to come get him. He can't even handle 5 minutes of exercise without his back legs shaking at times his back legs give out and he falls into a sitting position. Now his gone back to needing a pain killer everyday just so he can move.

Some sort of glucosamine might help. I found that fish oil capsules also helped a bit. But I would be asking for a full blood screen if he hasn't had one recently just to make sure there is nothing lurking.

Have you considered taking him to a chiro or massage therapist? It may just make him a little more comfortable with what he can do. When I spoke briefly to a vet chiro it was recommended that short burst of 5-10 minutes of walking several times a day was better for dogs in this sort of condition just so as to maintain muscle mass and not to over-exert them.

Also have you considered if there is an alternative way you can get him out and about. I know he's big, but some sort of trolley maybe? At least then he can have the mental stimulation of a walk. Also if you can drive him to a park so that he can at least hang out and sniff and see what is going on. Before I lost Em that's what we were doing, she was blind so providing her places where she could sniff and have a little wander was really important and I was lucky enough to be able to get to a park where she only needed to walk about 100m to get to a spot where I could let Kenzie have a good run and she could just hang out with me or potter about some trees.

I know black hawk holistic dog food has glucosamine in it and emu oil. The vets reckon the pain killers are better then sashas blend. Buddy is also lossing his hearing a bit and his eye sight. I've asked the vets about doing blood work but they said I wouldn't worry about it plus they said they don't want to put a old dog like him through it. He had blood work done couple of years ago and it came back normal. Buddy is even quite sore after swimming, Theres no taking him to the park and suspect him to just potter around, He always trys and wants run around. Buddy trys to keep up with Shelley who is much faster then he is. Even if I just take him on his own his always wanting to run around and find something for me to throw. To Buddy he still thinks his a young dog. Buddy also wouldn't like to be in a trolling etc as he likes to walk, Even as a young puppy he didn't like to be carried or picked up. Buddy also seems to be dragging his back feet when he walks too.

I often say to myself once Buddy can't play with his toys anymore thats the time I have to make the hard choice. But then I think that is pretty selfish of me. Buddy loves his toys and is always carry a toy around he also often sleeps with a toy too. Right now I would say he doesn't have much of a life at all. I don't think there is anyone in mildura that does chiro or massage therapy, I'll have to look into it more.

The vet didnt want to do bloodwork on an old dog? Ours is now 12 and for the last couple of years she's started having yearly blood test that shows all sorts of things including how the kidneys are going. They just hold still and take some blood out and its all done. However it can get pricy when it comes to the actual test so its a shock if you were not planning on it at that time.

If he hasn't had a full blood screen in a couple of years then I would be demanding it. Emma had one done in October last year that showed everything was fully functioning, she was PTS last week due to kidney failure which only showed up through the blood screen and her levels were off the chart. In old dogs things can change quickly and if my vet was recommending against routine blood tests in an old dog I would immediately change vets. It takes about 3 minutes for them to get a sample, they just hold the dog put in a needle and fill a vial then it gets sent off for testing. I know here it costs about $150+, so it can be pricey but it can tell you a lot.

In terms of outings, if he isn't going to potter about keep him on leash, at least then he's out and about and you can control where and how fast he can go.

12 is not exactly ancient and blood tests are hardly stressful.

If he is dragging his hindlegs he may need a neuro exam (not very stressful and can be modified to suit).

If you think its arthritis, then cartrophen may be an option.

Has your vet considered putting him on anti-arthritis drugs like Cartophen?

There are plenty of ways to manage this condition beyond pain killers.

He is on cartophen he gets 1 tablet a day half in the morning and half at night.

Yes cartrophan is a course of injections once a week for four weeks and can make a massive difference to their mobility. Starts as once a year but ours at 12 is now on twice a year but have heard other dogs having it more often. I also use joint guard and when needed rapigel and magnetic coat (at the very least the magnetic coat does get warmer than her others).

I've asked the vets about doing blood work but they said I wouldn't worry about it plus they said they don't want to put a old dog like him through it. He had blood work done couple of years ago and it came back normal.

Taking bloods and running a full general health profile is not something stressful/painfull. A jugualr sample should take less than a minute to aquire and an in house haematology and biochemistry profile could tell a lot.

• 1 year later...

I see this topic hasnt been updated in a while but i have a similar problem.

my goldie is 10 and his legs are shaking sometimes when he is walking.

he can still go for walks though, and when he goes to the park he goes for runs.

but at home, particularly when he is standing still, they are shaking.

unfortunately we have stairs to get into the house and they are unavoidable and he goes up and down on them like 20 times a day.:(

he gets fishoil and glucosamine tablets every day.

what more can i do?

there is no swimming place nearby unfortunately.

has anyone tried sea tone or seashell tablets? or some other natura treatment that you would recomend?

Any advice?

he can still go for walks though, and when he goes to the park he goes for runs.

unfortunately we have stairs to get into the house and they are unavoidable and he goes up and down on them like 20 times a day.:(

what more can i do?

has anyone tried sea tone or seashell tablets? or some other natura treatment that you would recomend?

Any advice?

Same as given to the OP. Time for a vet visit.

what more can i do?

Any advice?

Same as given to the OP. Time for a vet visit.

he's been to the vet, recently he was vaccinated so he got a check as well and the vet said the hips are ok according to the age.

i was thinking of advice on supplements, i am sure many people have experienced this with old age dogs so I am sure there are some answers out there...

Edited by Napoleon

Yes, definitely go for the Cartrophen. Our 14 (almost 15) year old Golden has had back end problems for about 3 years, and after the initial 4 weekly injections, she has one injection every 6-8 weeks and the improvement in her mobility, getting up and down etc., is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...