Dogs Left In Cars

I saw some dogs left in 4 different cars today, which prompted me to write this post...

On the way home from the vet's the other day, I stopped at the butcher to buy Grover's meat and bones. Because it was cold and raining, I left him in the car (with 2 windows rolled down). I wasn't gone long but I still felt very guilty!

While I'd never do it on even a mildly warm day...I think it's okay to leave them in the car for very short periods of time on freezing cold days.

I've heard that it's now illegal to leave a dog in a car, for any length of time, under any circumstances.

Is this true? I've been meaning to ask the RSPCA about it. Does anyone know?

Edited by littlesquashyguys

Their is nothing wrong with leaving dogs in cars.

Just don't leave them locked in on a hot day.

It also depends on where you live in Australia also.

If you take your dogs with you as I often do and I have a wagon I usually put the dogs in the crate and if it it's a hot day I just leave the car open.

I found this in the Vic DPI site ...

Travelling in vehicles with dogs

When travelling with dogs it is the owner or custodian’s duty to ensure the animal is transported appropriately and provided with its essential needs, including food, water, protection from heat or cold and a safe position on the vehicle.

What are the legal obligations of travelling with dogs in cars?

It is illegal to put dogs in the boot of a sedan type car. Dogs can travel in the cabin of the car or behind a cargo barrier in the back of wagon / SUV type vehicles. If on the back of a ute or trailer they must be appropriately tethered or caged.

When travelling, dogs must be provided with adequate ventilation. Containers must have multiple ventilation holes on at least three sides of the container.

Can dogs suffer from heat stress?

Yes, dogs in vehicles and on the back of vehicles can suffer from heat stress and exhaustion during the warmer months of the year. Dogs can dehydrate or even die from heat stress. The interior of vehicles can heat up quickly causing heat stress and potential death to dogs. Dogs must not be left in cars even on warm days due to the risk of heat stress. Even on cooler days a window should be kept down so the dog can have fresh air. For dogs on the back of utes, the vehicle should be parked in the shade and the dog should be left with water.

Travelling with dogs on the back of vehicles

The law in Victoria requires that dogs on utes are restrained either via a tether or cage, so that the dog cannot fall off or be injured when the vehicle moves. The only exception is for dogs that are actively working livestock.

What are the dangers of travelling with dogs on utes?

Many dogs nation-wide are killed or injured from travelling on the back of open and moving vehicles each year.

Common causes of injury are:

•dogs falling off the back of the vehicle whilst it is moving

•dogs being struck by oncoming or passing vehicles

•dogs being dragged alongside moving vehicles

•dogs attempting to jump from moving vehicles.

How can these dangers be prevented?

If a lead or chain is used to secure a dog, it must be long enough to allow the dog to sit and lie down but short enough to ensure the dog can not reach the sides of the vehicle, get onto the cabin or harass passers-by when the vehicle is parked. Long tethers can be more dangerous than none at all; if the dog does fall off the vehicle it may be dragged or strangled.

It is also important to use swivels to attach the tether to both the vehicle and the dog’s collar to prevent the chain from tangling. Never use twine, thin rope or similar materials as these can cause injuries if the dog becomes tangled in

the tether.

If using a cage, maximise the dog’s safety and comfort by ensuring the cage is the right size to prevent cramping and overcrowding, well covered to provide shelter from sun, wind and rain and placed directly behind the cabin to minimise exposure to dust and wind.

For best practice, it is recommended that dogs travel in the cabin of the vehicle and are kept either on the backseat in a restraining device or in the open cargo area of a wagon type vehicle behind a cargo barrier.

Dogs need to be adequately restrained when travelling inside a vehicle for the safety of both the dog and human passengers. Unrestrained dogs can cause accidents and should never be allowed in the vicinity of the driver. In the case of an accident, an unrestrained dog may become a projectile and can damage itself and / or the occupants of the vehicle.

Dogs should not be allowed to travel with their head out of the car window; particles of dirt can enter a dog’s eyes, ears and nose, causing injury or infection.

If going on a long trip carry dog food, water and a leash and stop regularly to allow the dog some exercise and a toilet break.

Remember, if you love your dog look after it and restrain it when travelling!

The Victorian Code of Practice for the Private Keeping of Dogs contains more information on travelling safely with dogs. This can be downloaded from www.dpi.vic.gov.au/animalwelfare

For more information call 136 186 or visit: http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/

Seems to indicate you can leave the dog in the car as long as you consider ventilation / water / heat ...

Edited by Tilly

I don't know about VIC, but it isn't illegal in Qld. There were 3 ridgebacks left in a car at IKEA when we were there a few weeks ago. We were supposed to find someone and get them to put a call out over the loud speaker as soon as we got upstairs, but we had a young baby with us and got distracted and forgot all about it. When we left about 3 hours later, the dogs were still there. No idea how long they'd been there before we got there. We rang the police and they said it wasn't a police matter and to ring the RSPCA. We also asked them about the legality of breaking in to a car if you see a distressed animal locked in it (as I had read on here before that you're allowed to do that). I was told it's completely illegal to do so even if it means the dog may die while waiting for someone to get out to it. We rang the RSPCA and they weren't really interested because the dogs didn't appear to be in any immediate danger.

I don't know if it is illegal ... but RSPCA are campaigning to educate people about leaving dog in cars ...

The Issues

Each year, the RSPCA receives hundreds of distress calls about animals (usually dogs) being left in cars in the heat.

An animal left inside a closed car on a hot summer’s day can die in less than 6 minutes.

The temperature inside a closed vehicle left in the sun can double within 12 minutes. The temperature inside the vehicle can reach around 73°C, but the dog may be dead by the time the temperature reaches 55°C. The animal will suffer horribly in its last minutes.

Remember

· Vehicles in the sun get hot at any time of the year.

· A vehicle can get hot even with the windows down in a cool, shaded position – the clouds and sun can move quickly.

· Leaving car windows down on an unattended vehicle is illegal and will not prevent a car from reaching extreme temperatures.

· Vehicles are made of metal and glass – both heat up quickly and retain heat. Generally speaking, vehicles with larger glass surface areas (e.g. hatchbacks) heat up faster and to higher temperatures than similar-sized sedans.

· Tray-back utilities can get extremely hot. Dogs travelling on the back of utes must be secured and have access to shade and water – preferably under a canopy.

· Due to health regulations, dogs cannot enter shopping centres, unless in special circumstances and with prior agreement from management. (In an emergency, however, the cool air of a shopping centre may help save the life of an animal in distress.)

· Dogs tied up unattended outside a car or building may present a risk to the public and may be at risk themselves (from cruelty, theft and weather conditions). You may also be in breach of local council laws.

Leaving an animal without appropriate water and shelter is an offence under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.

I don't know if it is illegal ... but RSPCA are campaigning to educate people about leaving dog in cars ...

The Issues

Each year, the RSPCA receives hundreds of distress calls about animals (usually dogs) being left in cars in the heat.

An animal left inside a closed car on a hot summer’s day can die in less than 6 minutes.

The temperature inside a closed vehicle left in the sun can double within 12 minutes. The temperature inside the vehicle can reach around 73°C, but the dog may be dead by the time the temperature reaches 55°C. The animal will suffer horribly in its last minutes.

Remember

· Vehicles in the sun get hot at any time of the year.

· A vehicle can get hot even with the windows down in a cool, shaded position – the clouds and sun can move quickly.

· Leaving car windows down on an unattended vehicle is illegal and will not prevent a car from reaching extreme temperatures.

· Vehicles are made of metal and glass – both heat up quickly and retain heat. Generally speaking, vehicles with larger glass surface areas (e.g. hatchbacks) heat up faster and to higher temperatures than similar-sized sedans.

· Tray-back utilities can get extremely hot. Dogs travelling on the back of utes must be secured and have access to shade and water – preferably under a canopy.

· Due to health regulations, dogs cannot enter shopping centres, unless in special circumstances and with prior agreement from management. (In an emergency, however, the cool air of a shopping centre may help save the life of an animal in distress.)

· Dogs tied up unattended outside a car or building may present a risk to the public and may be at risk themselves (from cruelty, theft and weather conditions). You may also be in breach of local council laws.

Leaving an animal without appropriate water and shelter is an offence under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.

Thanks very much for the info, Tilly : )

I leave mine in the car for short periods, I take them with me a lot in winter when I'm out and about, not so much in summer. Common sense does not prevail with a lot of people, I have seen many a dog on warm days with windows down on a couple of cms. :mad

Great info Tilly.