Comfortis, Can You Break It In Half?

Aztec Gold

We still haven't got Chester a flea product yet. We want to start taking him to the inlaws place with us, but their three dogs usually have fleas. Would comfortis protect him? And if so, could we get the 27-54kg ones and cut them in half until he is over 27kg? Would this work?

He is around 12-13kg at the moment (11 weeks)

Comfortis is not to be used on dogs under 14 weeks as per label instructions.

People will tell you that in the tablets the mix is on one side but I have been using half tablets successfully for just over 12 months now ;)

Interesting to see someone using it on cats - Have you had any bad reactions??

We use Comfortis for all our dogs, buy the largest size and break down in halves and quarters as required.

The Silky's get 1/4 tab each, Belgians get 1/2 and the GSD's get a full one. Works perfectly and had no problems with it.

Only 1 dog ever had a reaction the very first time we use the product (but she reacts to certain foods as well - no reaction since the first dose)

can be used from 14 weeks of age.

Comfortis has worked great for all of my cats, no side effects with any of them. Started it pretty much when the product was released on suggestion of my vet when other products efficacy diminished. Have had two other vet clinics also be a fan of the product for cats, although always being aware that it is off label use. I give them a half (or quarter?)of the smallest dose - not 100% positive off the top of my head, can check the packet though I am pretty sure I use half or quarter the small dog dose depending on which cat (mine vary in size a lot). I don't think I've ever used it for the dogs.

I am a vet nurse & I have been using it on my cats at the recommedation a vet I work with. She was advised that it is soon to be released for use on cats.

Do you have any trouble getting them to eat it mixed in the food? I have one only eats dry food, she could be a problem :(

I work for a vet hospital and have had good feed back on comfortis. I also know people that have used it for cats with no problems and we suggest halving them as well. Do remember to give it with your dogs meal (its to expensive for your dog to vomit it up).

Edited by skyesblue

I am a vet nurse & I have been using it on my cats at the recommedation a vet I work with. She was advised that it is soon to be released for use on cats.

Do you have any trouble getting them to eat it mixed in the food? I have one only eats dry food, she could be a problem :(

I don't mix meds with food....I put the tabs down their throat!

Do remember to give it with your dogs meal (its to expensive for your dog to vomit it up).

If it is vomited up, the client should contact Elanco - I think they will replace the tablet. It is usually only with the first dose that vomiting occurs.

Stormie - the dermatologists at Murdoch recommend off label use of Comfortis for cats (I get Derm updates through the uni - I'm doing my Masters through Murdoch).