Do House Alarms Hurt Dogs Ears If They Go Off?

moosepup

Were your dogs in the house while it was going off?

My Fuchsia that passed away last year had no problems staying in the same room while the alarm was going off and couldnt care less. She was also obsessed with the beep noise that it made when you turn it on and off and for 12 years would rush in every time you opened the door and stand under the alarm box waiting for the beep.

My new dogs wait at the front door for the beep before coming inside as one day it didnt turn off properly and was sounding for a while before I could make the remote work.

I guess it depends on individual dogs if it hurts their ears or not. If they didnt like it they would run away from it if possible I would guess

No idea. I would say there's a 99% chance they were inside but they did have access to outside through the doggy door. They don't appear to be bothered, being their usual silly selves. It's pretty loud though so I wouldn't like to be stuck with it for 10 minutes!

We have a smoke alarm thats always going off when we cookc - its super sensitive (i don't always burn things :laugh:).

Riley doesn't even seem to flinch when that goes off and its pretty loud. Same deal with my parents house alarm, that never seemed to bother him either?

Our dog whines if smoke or house alarm go off IF we don't get up and go to the noise. Same for a ringing phone. She will paw at you, lick your face and then resort to barking if you don't get up (I've tried to sleep through some phone calls before). Not sure if she is actually bothered by the noise or if she has just learned they should be tended to.

She doesn't react to the microwave, washing machine, dishwasher or OH's alarm clock. We must ignore those too frequently :laugh:

It would have to hurt them?

Atlas hates the smoke alarm, when it is flat and beeps he actually wont come inside till i have turned it off.

Kaos on the other hand, i have taught her when the alarm goes off she is to run to me and jump and bark and go crazy (taught her this after Jeds housefire, thought if i am asleep and it goes off i want her to come to me), not sure what she would do with a house alarm!

Our dog whines if smoke or house alarm go off IF we don't get up and go to the noise. Same for a ringing phone. She will paw at you, lick your face and then resort to barking if you don't get up (I've tried to sleep through some phone calls before). Not sure if she is actually bothered by the noise or if she has just learned they should be tended to.

She doesn't react to the microwave, washing machine, dishwasher or OH's alarm clock. We must ignore those too frequently :laugh:

:rofl:

My experience of alarms going off when they shouldn't

one went off every night during moth season. ie there was a light near one of the sensors and it would get set off by light seeking bugs.

one got set off by cockroach crawling across it.

Another by wind flapping curtains when someone forgot to close a window before going out.

And my fav - the one that went off because the sensor was faulty. The dog was blamed but it wasn't her. Ie it did it when she wasn't home.

And the alarms hurt my ears. Nearly killed mum's cleaning lady because she wouldn't stop cleaning so I could shut the stupid thing off.