Stem Cell Research

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some vets are curious and keep up to date with science, others wait for something to be common place before they accept new things.

For osteoarthritis with close to 10,000 dogs being treated it's not considered experimental anymore. It might seem experimental for some who are not up to date.

WA has been slower to take it up, but that is due to no people over there educating. We do send cells to two vets in WA, NSW colleagues of theirs recommended the use.

Keisha, any vet in Australia can order the cells. Have a chat to your vet.

Many are now regular users due to the first case being a dog owner asking to try it. They then see the results for themselves.

I can find out what vets in SA have ordered already.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see your post about your boy. Yes, his condition should respond well, in his case he would most likely be given the cells IV.

Edited by Inevitablue

Thankyou to everyone who has given information.... I have a 9yr old with a damaged hip on one side that bothers her a little bit every now & then.. I'm keep to try Stem Cells on her now before her Hip causes her too much trouble.

Many are now regular users due to the first case being a dog owner asking to try it. They then see the results for themselves.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see your post about your boy. Yes, his condition should respond well, in his case he would most likely be given the cells IV.

So is there any difference in the results from cultured cells or those harvested from your dogs own fat?

kiesha09, I cannot comment on the pros and cons of each technique but I am happy to tell you why we opted for cultured stem cell treatment:

- donor stem cells come from young dogs. My bully is 7+yo so her stem cells are 'old'.

- I was a bit more confident about getting high concentration of stem cells in her treatment

- there was no need to harvest cells from her fat ie one less dose of anasthetic.

Edited by HonBun

So is there any difference in the results from cultured cells or those harvested from your dogs own fat?

From what i can see the cultured cells work out much cheaper...

Keisha the differences are -

- with the fat harvest method the cells that are Injected back in on average contain 30% stem cells, the cultured method is 100% stem cells.

- harvesting requires trauma and an extra anesthetic. If you have kept your dog quite lean a fairly big incision is required to collect enough fat. Mostly the incision is made on the shoulder blade. A short coated breed ends up with a scar. A few vets do liposuction the fat out.

- cost, the cultured are proving to be cheaper. With the harvest method you have to pay the same price whether or not you treat 1 joint or 6. The cultured allows you to order only what you need. An example is degeneration in one joint due to a cruciate rupture causing osteoarthritis.

- the age of the cells. If you use a 12 year old dogs cells you are using dormant stem cells that have been through many mitotic divisions. In theory not as viable as cells that have only undergone a few mitotic divisions.

-

I was previously working with stem cells, assisting vets with harvesting fat, and processing in the laboratory. I have now moved on to the most scientifically advanced stem cells.

A brief overview of whats available now, but I will write up some more info if people are interested.

I now work for Monash Uni, and we have Allogeneic stem cells available. These are pure stem cells, taken from a donor and grown in culture in the laboratory. The benefits over the old method of harvesting fat are-

No need to cut and scar your dog

No need for full anesthesias

Pure mesenchymal stem cells, not stromal vascular fraction (which is what is isolated when taking your own dogs fat, which has some stem cells)

The original fat is donated by a fully health tested dog under the age of 12months. The cells are younger and work more effectively. An old dog has old stem cells.

and lastly the price is much more affordable, for example a dog under 20kg getting 2 hips treated will be around $1000 to the owner.

Have a look at our website

www.australianstemcells.com.au

Feel free to ask any questions.

If anyone is curious about this in the human world, look around on this website www.mesoblast.com

I am very interested in doing this with one of my dogs & liked everything you explained..... But my poor Vet has left 3 messages on the phone & several emails.... & no one has bothered getting back to him???? What does he need to do to get a response???

Edited by dannyBC

By prematurely I mean she is in otherwise fantastic health. Her osteoarthritis might have developed from a highly active lifestyle.

Have you tried Pentosan Polysulfate (most commonly called Cartrophen) injections to see if she improves on them?