Canidae Feeders

For those that feed Canidae, can I please get some feed back on which of the formulas, you have chosen to feed, which breed you are feeding and what that particular formula is right for your dog.

Can you also let me know, if dogs is very active, nervous, lazy etc.

Do you feed anything else along with it, such as fresh meat, bones etc ?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guys(Amstaff's) are fed Grain Free Pure Sea(Salmon).

They have been on it for about 3&1/2 months because Royal Canin were changing the recipe for the Skin Support, which they were doing fantastic on.

The main reason I chose the Salmon was because I wanted to help their skin as much as possible(allergies), so the the high amounts of omega 3 & 6 were great and figured grain free was a better option.

One is a couch potato, the other is alot more active/alert.

Both get about an hour exercise daily, plus play in the yard as they please.

I've noticed no difference in their energy levels on Canidae compared to the various other brands they have been fed(SuperCoat, Advance, Hills z/d, Royal Canin)

They do also get about 200gms of minced chicken frames(frozen in kongs)

I hope that was the kind of feedback you were after :o

Grain free salmon

German Shepherds and White Swiss Shepherd

Feeding solely this formula as one dog has extensive protein allergies and this is the only Canidae product he can have. The rest are on it to avoid cross contamination.

Senior GSD very chilled and inactive, 2 adult GSDs quite laidback (active only when required), pup WSSD active as you would expect a 12 month old pup to be but starting to chill out. If you are asking if the kibble might influence on their temperament or energy levels - in our case, no. They are this way no matter the kibble they eat.

Also feed fresh meat, bones, eggs, olive oil, Happy Paws Training Treats, dried venison products and the senior GSD gets a Glyde supplement.

Interested to know the reason behind these questions.

Reasons for asking, is that we have just stocked the product. The basics of any food product I can grasp, but I'm really interested in how it compares across the breeds and individual dogs. It's one thing to know the theory but the insight from users is invaluable.

I'll be using the salmon on a couple of mine and the life stages on another.

I have used ALS, Lamb and Rice and the Grain free salmon. The only thing I would caution is the ALS does cause stinky dogs (they fart a lot). A number of other shar pei owners have also noticed the same thing. I have to feed which ever I can get but we have just changed to the grain free salmon and the windy doggies are gone and are again quite pleasant to be around. Shar Pei are well known for their bad skin and allergies and I am finding the grain free to be quite beneficial for them. (I have one dog who is only fed grain free as he is a shocking, scratching mess if he eats any grain based foods).

eta they occassionally get chicken carcasses, yoghurt or sardines but nothing on a regular basis.

Edited by Ams

Grain free salmon here too ( think its called pure sea now??) anyway my allergy dog ests it as he cant hVe grains, beef or chicken. He only gets half a cup of it a day and then raw. He has always been lazy. I freeze his to stop dust mites.

Dust mites in the kibble?

I feed the Grain Free Pure Sea as well.

I have an Airedale and a Shar Pei. The Shar Pei has itchy skin which is why we switched to a grain free food.

They also get a can of tuna once a week and a can of sardines as the fish is good for Shar Pei coat. They both get bones sometimes as well.

They both are active (the Airedale more so) but no more or less than when they had Artemis or Holistic Select.

The only problem is that the food sometimes makes the Shar Pei emit noxious gasses

I have fed them All Life Stages and they did good on it as well, but no differently than anything else

Edited by Cat

Guest english.ivy

Fed the lamb and rice to my 18 month old Pointer male as it has a higher fat content.

He has high energy levels and can't say I noticed a change in his energy levels but his poops weren't always nice while on it. Soft and runny.

Found it far too expensive for two dogs and I had to go out of my way to get it.

I personally wouldn't bother ever getting it again. Mainly due to cost and hard to source in Perth.

I used to feed canidae grain free salmon as well. Had to stop due to difficulty in getting it.

My allergy lab did very well on it. She is quite active and will do at least 3 hrs of exercise a day. I fed her 2 cups, 2 times a day, plus a raw meaty bone.

I now feed royal canin sensitivity control but sadly that is going out of stock :(

I thought the canidae was a good food, however I don't think there was a noticeable improvement on it (compared to RC sensitivity), I didn't notice any change in energy or poo (although my dog has a an iron stomach, so changing brands doesn't really bother her tummy much).

If my my vet stocked it- I would probably buy it over Hills or Eukanuba.

Fed the lamb and rice to my 18 month old Pointer male as it has a higher fat content.

He has high energy levels and can't say I noticed a change in his energy levels but his poops weren't always nice while on it. Soft and runny.

Found it far too expensive for two dogs and I had to go out of my way to get it.

I personally wouldn't bother ever getting it again. Mainly due to cost and hard to source in Perth.

From memory, the Lamb and Rice actually has the lowest fat content of the Candidae range, with the exception of Platinum.

Pav Lova: while we haven't raised a litter on the ALS, we have a number of customers who have done so and been very pleased with the results. Generally, we find that Canidae is well tolerated by most dogs and that even the grain free varieties are quite easy on most stomachs. I fed the Platinum and the Chicken & Rice to Evie while she was still with us and she looked great, felt great and maintained the weight I wanted on her. Evie was an older St Bernard.

Sags

:)

So there's no chicken in the grain free salmon is there? This is what I'm thinking of changing to when our old formula Pro Plan Sensitive runs out. Is there anyone who does samples of it?

Nope there isn't and it's one of the reasons we've opted to stock it. Many others that advertise on the front of their bags as " turkey and rice " " lamb and rice " etc still contain chicken.

There's also a few manufacturers that are changing formulas, I feel for those who are using a product and we're getting good results that now have to look for something else.

From memory, the Lamb and Rice actually has the lowest fat content of the Candidae range, with the exception of Platinum.

Pav Lova: while we haven't raised a litter on the ALS, we have a number of customers who have done so and been very pleased with the results. Generally, we find that Canidae is well tolerated by most dogs and that even the grain free varieties are quite easy on most stomachs. I fed the Platinum and the Chicken & Rice to Evie while she was still with us and she looked great, felt great and maintained the weight I wanted on her. Evie was an older St Bernard.

Sags

:)

I've raised the last three litters on adult foods, so can't see why Canidae wouldn't get good results. It's a little difficult when consumers are set in their ways and have it beaten into them that they need a " puppy" formula.

It's not going to suit everyone and every dog but so far it looks like successes have been wide and varied amongst breeds

So there's no chicken in the grain free salmon is there? This is what I'm thinking of changing to when our old formula Pro Plan Sensitive runs out. Is there anyone who does samples of it?

Nope there isn't and it's one of the reasons we've opted to stock it. Many others that advertise on the front of their bags as " turkey and rice " " lamb and rice " etc still contain chicken.

There's also a few manufacturers that are changing formulas, I feel for those who are using a product and we're getting good results that now have to look for something else.

Awesome. Obviously Pro Plan sensitive now has chicken meal in it, the rep has said that it "shouldn't" upset my girl's belly because there's not enough chicken in it but shouldn't isn't really good enough when you have a dog that is in pain from her upset belly and can't do what she wants to do.

Thanks for that Ams, will try for a sample. :)

Guest english.ivy

Maybe it was the salmon one, can't remember but it had 20% fat content. Blue bag.

my 12 mnth ammstaff is on the grain free salmon, changed to it from supercoat puppy to assist his itchy skin, he also has (raw chicken/turkey necks etc)skin has improved, no change in energy levels but he has lost weight..2kg he doesnt consume as much of the canidae as he did the supercoat (his choice its left in his bowl)so i'm thinking maybe its not the right choice??? hes been on it for a couple of weeks now.