What Age Does A Male Dog Stop Producing Pups?

Blakbelgian

Hi All,

I am asking this on behalf of a friend as I have no breeding plans until next year some time.

At what age does a MALE dog stop producing viable sperm?

A friend has a 2yr old girl who has had a litter, the stud she would like to use is now nine yrs old and just sired his first litter (I think). He & her have both been in excellent health as afar as I know.

IF she waited until next year to use said dog what do you think the chances are that he can sire a litter? As he will be approx 9 1/2 yrs old.

What is your experience or knowledge in this situation?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

BB

How long is a piece of string??

Some dogs can't produce litters at 2 due to poor sperm count, yet dogs 10+ are able to.

The only way to know if to do a sperm count, If she is worried do a sperm count now and freeze if good enough.

How long is a piece of string??

Some dogs can't produce litters at 2 due to poor sperm count, yet dogs 10+ are able to.

The only way to know if to do a sperm count, If she is worried do a sperm count now and freeze if good enough.

They would be lucky for him to have sperm good enough to freeze at that age but some dogs can still produce from natural matings up until 14 or so depending on the breed. Others are infertile by 7 or earlier so it is a very individual thing.

I'd say the fact that he's recently sired a litter is a good sign, was it a decent size litter?

I had my 9.5 year old collected and frozen a month or so back. Quality was very good and suprisingly post thaw quailty is better than my 4.5 year old dog. However, I had a stud enquiry on another dog when he was 10 and when tested he was basically infertile by then. Same breed, both very fit and healthy.

I'd say the fact that he's recently sired a litter is a good sign, was it a decent size litter?

I had my 9.5 year old collected and frozen a month or so back. Quality was very good and suprisingly post thaw quailty is better than my 4.5 year old dog. However, I had a stud enquiry on another dog when he was 10 and when tested he was basically infertile by then. Same breed, both very fit and healthy.

The sire of my singleton sperm count was low when tested at the time of his mating to my bitch which included an A.I. and two natural ties.

Yet he had just sired a litter of 6 a month earlier. My vet told me sperm count and quality can vary due to stresses. I'm guessing the fact that he was shipped over and stayed where there were a few other males and number of bitches being mated could have contributed.

Or, it may have been my bitch just releasing one egg, or she absorbed the rest for whatever reason..who knows.

Also enviromental factors can contribute...I know of a stud dog who was declared infertile, he went to a Pet home" and when checked again a year later his sperm count was good.

Thanks for the replies guys.

To get a boy tested what does it involve? Putting semen on a slid & looking under a microscope? If so how much would

you be expected to pay? Could the owner of the stud ask the owner of the girl to pay this fee?

BB

It could be done at Monash or Craigeburn.

Norm from Sires on Ice would also do it.

As to who pays. :noidea:

• 2 weeks later...