Litters Due In March 2012

Bilbo Baggins

Hi only just connected the computer for today,

Bella whelped 9 puppies 6 females and 3 boys, but sadly lost 1 girl and 1 boy due to the last 3 being breach, no 7 was able to be revived but 8 and 9 were jammed in their for too long,

No 8 was well and truly stuck and buy the time he was delivered it was too late for him and the last girl.

Numbers are 5 females and 2 boys, very good litter for a bitch that I have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. (That's another story)

Will try for some sleep now as she kept me up last night just for fun . :laugh:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bella whelped 9 puppies 6 females and 3 boys, but sadly lost 1 girl and 1 boy due to the last 3 being breach, no 7 was able to be revived but 8 and 9 were jammed in their for too long,

No 8 was well and truly stuck and buy the time he was delivered it was too late for him and the last girl.

Numbers are 5 females and 2 boys, very good litter for a bitch that I have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years. (That's another story)

What day fordogs??

Congrats on your new arrivals. So sorry to hear you lost a couple. RIP angel puppies :rainbowbridge:

BB, They were born yesterday March 2nd.

All 7 are doing well, hardly ever leaving the milk bar, Bella is a wonderful mum.

Usually I have always assisted with the births but I have finally learnt not to interfere and leave it to mum, she knows best.

Most of the litter were born without a placenta attached which was fine for those born head first but the last 3 were born breach and I just could not get the last 2 out quickly enough for them to survive :cry: , She has had Oxytocin so I hope she has none left inside, I will be watching her closely.

Good to hear that Bella and her brood are doing well :)

Fordogs at what stage do you start weaning?. We try them on premium beef mince at about 3.5 weeks and at four start them on mushy puppy food with mince. We also start taking them outside at four weeks, generally about 5 mins. per day and increase daily from then.

I also start to wean at 3 - 3 1/2 weeks just to give mum a bit of help. I start with lean mince and fresh frozen goat milk, lucky to have someone nearby that has goats, Mum is already having goat milk on her food and made up milkshakes of free range egg, honey, goat milk and yoghurt, she loves it.

By the time they are 5 weeks mine are usually still with mum for part of the day and having 2 meals as well.

Mine get to go outside when mum is ready to take them also depending on the weather but usually it is about 4 1/2 weeks and only for a short time.

I'm at Marulan HPB just 15 mins from Goulburn.

Help !!! Bella was holding a screaming puppy others were upset.

I have felt very comfortable with leaving her for a short while so this was very upsetting I have taken her away and crated her for a short while until I feed my other dogs.

How do I handle this???

I have settled her down, she has fed the puppies eaten dinner and had a good drink of water.

She was breathing up and her temp was 39.2, Maybe a panic attack? Post whelping stress.

felt her boobs and they are not hot, doesn't have any lumps or bumps.

Phew she scared me.

Edited by Fordogs

Bella is fine this morning she had had her breakfast, drinks and out to toilet, she is acting very normal. My bed is right there beside the whelping box and I monitored her though the night her temp didn't go any higher (thank god)but eased on down to normal, she had drinks and toilet breaks x 3 during the night.

My first thought was that she might still have a placenta not passed as there was 4 puppies born without them, she was given Oxytocin when she finished whelping.

Phoned my vet an told to observe during the day : although he knew that he did have to say that :rolleyes:

I believe that she had a panic attack and I have sent my OH out for Rescue Remedy as I don't need another night like that.

Hope things run smoothly now , No more scares please.

So pleased to hear Bella is settling. :)

I have moved the pups and Bree into our living room. They are stacking on the weight. The whelping room is a self contained grannyflat at the other end of our house and it's a long walk out there when we have rain lashing in on our verandah.

I have not generally moved puppies in before 2 weeks.

Bree has a playpen around her and will have to get used to the others being around. It's not as if it is her first litter so she should settle quite quickly.

Fordogs, it does sound like a panic attack of some sorts, had a similar experience with a maiden bitch. I am sure she will settle down, have you tried giving her some calcium to help her? Did you give her any while she was whelping???

I am sure she is a little more settled today, it is a shock for some mums with all those those puppies! Just keep an eye on her for the next few days and get the calcium into her, it will help her, it worked for one of mine.

Yes, I did give her Calcium Sandoz during whelping and after usually but She didn't have any yesterday (bad mommy) :stupid: until she had the episode so will be having it for the next few days.

Bella is not a maiden but it is over 3 years since her first and only other litter and she is such a mommies girl, She loves her babies but becomes stressed when they are spread all over the whelping box and she can't find room to lay down (5' x 4' is not big enough) poor :flower:

Have been to the vet this afternoon, Bella had had a Prostaglandin injection for a retained placenta and Calcium as she is on the verge of eclampsia. She is also on AB's.

She is far more settled this evening, I should have had the camera as she was smiling at me.

I hope you don't mind me asking this question in here - I possibly have a litter due in April - its 6 years since my last litter where I did give Calcium once the pups were born. But I can't remember how much I gave embarrass.gif The bitch weighs 15kg.

Does anybody mind telling me when they start, how often and how much please......

Have been to the vet this afternoon, Bella had had a Prostaglandin injection for a retained placenta and Calcium as she is on the verge of eclampsia. She is also on AB's.

She is far more settled this evening, I should have had the camera as she was smiling at me.

I hope she settles soon for you, best wishes!