Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: New Legislation For Puppy Farmers - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

New Legislation For Puppy Farmers Queensland

#1 User is offline   Stitch 

• Breeder / Exhibitor
  • State:QLD

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

I heard on the news yesterday that Govt. were going to legislate that puppy breeders/farmers were going to be rigorously controlled.....unfortunately I only picked up on the end of the broadcast.

Can anyone fill me in on this? It sounded like it was in Queensland.

There has always been these kind of mutterings about but if this is now going to be definite does anyone know what it is going to cover??? If it is just puppy farmers, that's great!! If registered breeders are going to get caught up in the net...hmmmm??? :confused:

This post has been edited by Stitch: 22 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

#2 User is offline   Steve 

• Registered Breeder. MDBA Member
  • State:NSW

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostStitch, on 22 January 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

I heard on the news yesterday that Govt. were going to legislate that puppy breeders/farmers were going to be rigorously controlled.....unfortunately I only picked up on the end of the broadcast.

Can anyone fill me in on this? It sounded like it was in Queensland.

There has always been these kind of mutterings about but if this is now going to be definite does anyone know what it is going to cover??? If it is just puppy farmers, that's great!! If registered breeders are going to get caught up in the net...hmmmm??? :confused:

If its the same and the submission from Queensland I looked at a couple of months ago it was the easiest Ive seen so unless there is something new - really new on the plate its hard to see how they will do much to stop much.
It certainly doenst make life harder for large scale commercial breeders.

My concern is that you end up with the same result as we now see in Victoria where large scale commercial kennels are advantaged and small breeders find it harder. we have already seen this happening in some shires in Brisbane.
one breeder who has had a breed for 15 years on her 100 acre property and whelps her puppies inthe loungroom, dogs sleep on beds - has to find 25,000 to comply with regs for breeding dogs, quaratine areas etc.
If there is an updated proposal there may be hope.

#3 User is offline   Stitch 

• Breeder / Exhibitor

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

I am surprised there hasn't been any discussion on DOL about it if it has got to the stage of being reported about in the news reports.

I haven't heard any rumblings about it from CCCQ either - or maybe I have missed something???

#4 User is offline   Steve 

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostStitch, on 22 January 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

I am surprised there hasn't been any discussion on DOL about it if it has got to the stage of being reported about in the news reports.

I haven't heard any rumblings about it from CCCQ either - or maybe I have missed something???

Well if it was the one I saw there was nothing in it worth mentioning.Big non event

#5 User is offline   Chris the Rebel Wolf 

• Look twice. See more than the obvious.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Here's the article Click

THE Queensland Government aims to wipe out puppy farms under proposed new registration requirements for dog breeders.

Agriculture Minister Tim Mulherin says unscrupulous breeders who usually run large-scale operations in isolated areas will be squeezed out under a proposed two-tiered breeder registration system.

"These notorious operations generally have very poor conditions - sometimes with hundreds of dogs - and fail to meet any of the dogs' behavioural, social and physiological needs," Mr Mulherin said

The registration system will be mandatory for intensive dog breeders with regular monitoring and voluntary registration for smaller scale breeders.

As well, microchips will include the breeder's information and specific details about the mother of each litter.

"This will allow authorities to more easily identify puppy farms and trace the origins of puppies," Mr Mulherin said.

He said with registered breeders having to display their identification number at the point of sale and on ads, consumer demand to buy from those breeders will soon force puppy farm operators out of the market.

The RSPCA's Mark Townend welcomed the plan.

"The RSCPA strongly urges all interested parties to get involved in the consultation process and make a submission," Mr Townend said.

The Canine Control Council said it has been working closely with the Government for more than a year on ways to wipe out puppy farms.

Mr Mulherin said the standards will be open for comment until March 5

Read more: http://www.news.com....3#ixzz1kB9SgvHa

#6 User is offline   Tralee 

• Dog Guardian

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Deja Vu

#7 User is offline   Steve 

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:01 AM

Well you see for a start everyone breeding intensively becomes a registered breeder and those who are breeding intensively are not the ones they want to wipe out because their definition of a puppy farmer isn't someone who breeds intensively or commercially. Someone breeding 500 puppies each year gets the same credibility as a registered breeder from any recognised Canine Association.

So it is mandatory for intensive dog breeders but voluntary for smaller scale - so how will they determine which is which when they are advertised ,how do they decide at what point is it not intensive ?
So the smaller scale have less credibility because they are not registered ?

Microchipping has been mandatory in NSW for around 13 years and still people don't chip puppies and most coming through pounds are not chipped - whilst I agree that adding the breeder details is a good move for having the ability to gather stats etc I don't hold much hope that this will help much to prevent people who breed dogs in rotten conditions. I spoke to a NSW CC registered breeder last week who has never chipped a pup and was complaining as now she has to in order to register her puppies. Does anyone really think that BYB and people who breed dogs in rotten conditions will comply? They bought this in as a pilot in the Gold Coast shire and 8 months later we found that not ONE ad had the numbers required to advertise, when we challenged the council we were told they had no way and no one to enforce it

These registered commercial intensive breeders who have to advertise their ID number at point of sale and on ads will soon force puppy farm operators out of the market?????????????????Posted Image they will force small breeders out of the market which gives them more demand.

pet shops can easily buy from these registered breeders and claim they only buy from registered breeders and not puppy farmers and they can easily buy puppies by the truckload for any one who gives them an interstate address.

then the large scale commercial breeders spend more money ontheir nice registered facilities and need to breed more puppies to pay for it - and Queensland has effectively done what Victoria has done - become commercial breeder heaven and the government actually increased the demand for their product

#8 User is offline   Stitch 

• Breeder / Exhibitor

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Does anyone know exactly how much input the CCCQ is having with this proposed legislation??

Is anyone else representing the breeder of purebred dogs in Qld???

#9 User is offline   Steve 

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

http://www.dpi.qld.g...t-Statement.pdf

This is just a start - remember RSPCA has no outside ombudsman.

A prescribed organisation, such as RSPCA Qld, would be responsible for dealing with registration requests and keeping the register of breeders.
Registered breeders would be assigned a breeder identification number (breeder ID). Breeders
would be required to display their breeder ID (if applicable) at points of sale or in advertising for
sale or supply. On-sellers, such as pet shops, could choose to display the breeder ID (if
applicable). It would be an offence to knowingly display an incorrect breeder ID for a dog.
Some of the information about registered breeders (e.g. breeder ID, name of registered breeder,
and town/suburb of address where dogs are bred) would be made publicly available. Interest
groups would likely encourage Queenslanders to buy only from registered breeders unless they
could check for themselves the conditions under which a puppy had been bred. <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

#10 User is offline   Steve 

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

All of their options are centred around 10 dogs .
10 entire bitches, - 20 or more entire dogs - these 10 dogs must be over 6 months to be counted so you can have a bunch of them getting ready to breed while you are breeding the first 10
or 10 fertile dogs,
or 10 dogs.

#11 User is offline   Stitch 

• Breeder / Exhibitor

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

I do hope that the CCCQ is ready and able to 'protect' their own!

That said, 10 is a lot of dogs. I wonder how many non-puppy farmers ie. CCCQ registered breeders would keep that many breedable dogs???

Sounds like RSPCA has plans for 'doggy world domination' or at least Australia!!

#12 User is offline   Steve 

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

There is a plan to have all dog related issues made accountable by an outside agency - I was told this is part of the strategy a couple of years ago by someone who was part of putting the plan together . Looks like the candidate is the RSPCA

Ive got 11 dogs here but 6 are working in the paddocks with the sheep and if I had to comply with this I would consider putting my old boy to sleep to bring it back to 10.

#13 User is offline   Souff 

• Enjoying good dogs ......... while we still have them

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostSteve, on 23 January 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

Microchipping has been mandatory in NSW for around 13 years and still people don't chip puppies and most coming through pounds are not chipped - whilst I agree that adding the breeder details is a good move for having the ability to gather stats etc I don't hold much hope that this will help much to prevent people who breed dogs in rotten conditions. I spoke to a NSW CC registered breeder last week who has never chipped a pup and was complaining as now she has to in order to register her puppies. Does anyone really think that BYB and people who breed dogs in rotten conditions will comply?

When I drive in heavy traffic I often wonder how many of the drivers around me are not licensed. There is no way of knowing, unless they get pulled up by Officer Dibble. I hope all of the b's get caught.
Microchipping, registering animals, registering boats etc ..... it is all part of our way of life.
I have become a fan of microchipping over the years - it serves a good purpose.

If dodgy people don't want to comply then there is a chance that they will get busted.

And I hope that chance gets higher and higher.

Souff

#14 User is offline   Souff 

• Enjoying good dogs ......... while we still have them

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostSteve, on 25 January 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

There is a plan to have all dog related issues made accountable by an outside agency - I was told this is part of the strategy a couple of years ago by someone who was part of putting the plan together . Looks like the candidate is the RSPCA

Ive got 11 dogs here but 6 are working in the paddocks with the sheep and if I had to comply with this I would consider putting my old boy to sleep to bring it back to 10.

How old is the old boy?

#15 User is offline   Steve 

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

15 years and 6 months and I love him

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions