Dog Ate Kitty Litter

Last night my husky Misty got into the kitty litter. She was inside had notice she wasn't in the lounge room for a while called her and she came out of where the kitty litter is kept :mad Ever since she keeps on dry reaching. I have called the 24hour vet twice in regards to it once last night they said feed her a tin of dog food with some metamucil and that should help pass it. But still today she is dry reaching at least every 10 mins and has thrown up white froth/saliva, so I called the vet again and they just said keep an eye on her.

We don't know how much she ate but there was clumping kitty litter in there as I ran out of the crystals I usually use. Should I be as worried as I am? :( And what things should I look out for that would need her to be taken to the vet? The lady on last nigth was really hopefully but the one today not so much, which is understandable as I don't know how busy they are. She is drinking water still and had a little play with Coco but is not her usually up beat happy self and just keeps walking around the house everywhere acting unsettled and will then lay for a bit but start walking around everywhere again. Is there anything else I can do to help?

I am sorry I don't know what to do but is there another vet you can call? I would be worried too and would want the vet to look at them rather than give phone advice, location dependant I suppose.

Hope she feels better soon.

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Yes. Please get her to another vet ASAP.

I would be very worried if one of mine were doing that and I'd have them straight to the vet. Poor girl, hope she is ok.

ETA. I know nothing of the effects of kitty litter on dogs, maybe it's swelling up inside her or lodged somewhere???, hence the reason she cannot get comfy and is so restless???

I don't even know if it's toxic. :confused: I don't mean to scare you I am just really concerned for your girl. :(

Edited by k9angel

:( I hope you have found a vet who will help her ..I think it sounds as if she needs to be checked over properly ....not diagnosed over the phone .Depending on the product, it could be a very nasty thing to have in a gut...

Hopefully she will be OK soon.

:( I hope you have found a vet who will help her ..I think it sounds as if she needs to be checked over properly ....not diagnosed over the phone .Depending on the product, it could be a very nasty thing to have in a gut...Hopefully she will be OK soon.

Yes that's what I have just read Pers.

I just did a google search and although I cannot garentee the info accurate, the couple of sites I did look at, basically said it depends how much she ate and what kind. Some kitty litters expand and clump and go as hard as concrete and can be extremely dangerous as they can block the intestines. :(

:crossfingers: K&C has found a vet and that Misty is ok.

She had clumping and the little bit of crystals I had on the bottom. Scout had some too she dry reached last night but is fine. Misty is still dry reaching with the occasional froth coming out and she can't go to the toilet so I've given her some pumpkin puree.

I went to the emergency vet he is saying it is kennel cough :confused: so she got some shots and is on antibiotics but my partner and I didn't really think he was very good and we don't agree with the diagnosis so will do as he said and take her to our vet tomorrow. If it was kennel cough would Scout not still be doing the dry reaching thing too? And if it is kennel cough and Coco gets it could it be bad for her heart???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by krystal&coco

Could be coincidence and she really does have KC...it happens. FWIW Brookie got into the kitty litter a couple of years ago and scoffed lots...(dogs really are revolting sometimes :( ) It was the natural bran variety which clumps and can be flushed ...purple packet. Later that evening it came out both ends...yuck!!! He was fine but I did enquire and because of the brand and type it was fine.

Have you still got the packet? Have a look at the fine print and see if there is a customer service that you can call.

Fingers crossed and I hope its all ok with Misty.

They both could indeed have kennel cough.... not all dogs cough all the time ..and kennel cough can be very much like a dry reach, with froth.... The constipation is a worry - hopefully the pumpkin will help , and I hope your vet gives you some answers tomorrow.

I have never had a dog with kennel cough so just assumed kitty litter as that was the only thing that had happened to change anything. Where could they get it from? I don't know much about it, but both are vaccinated for it and with the weather lately have not been out much.

We have gone and sanatized everything in our house and all the dogs stuff. The 2 huskies will be outside now as I do not want Coco to get it. Is there anything I can do to help prevent her from getting it? As the vet said if Coco gets it and it causes infection it could affect her heart. Probably gone over the top tonight with everything though sanatized lounges, floors, tables, dog bowls, benches and scrubbed pation and also changed bed sheets and doona as all dogs usually sleep in there. I know am probably worrying too much I just can't afford Coco to get sick :(

Definately can't handle this right now too stressful :cry:

I would be seeing a new vet. Clumping cat litter is known to cause fatal blockages in cats and crystals aren't great either. Most cat people (including myself) won't touch either product for that reason. If the dog has eaten a fair amount and now can't poo, that would concern me greatly.

As for kennel cough (if it is that), there is no need for ABs unless there is a secondary infection so again, not sure why the vet gave them. If it is KC, you can give honey or human cough medicine (Benadryl from memory, but check with your vet). Keep the dogs warm and don't walk them (don't want to spread it). Its usually very mild in vaccinated dogs so don't stress.

KC is spread by droplets from nose/mouth during coughing, etc ... so Coco has probably been exposed already . It can last up to 3 weeks .. so , if you need to keep them seperate,your poor dogs will not be happy being outside all that time :(

It is a virus .. like tracheitis in humans ..so avoid walking on collars which press on their throats - as it may make them cough more .

I agree with Kirty's post ,and also recommend seeing a different vet and getting a good check .

No comments on the litter

but being vaccinated against KC does not stop them getting it. Every year i have vaccinated Kaos she got it, i no longer vaccinate against it.

When i worked in the kennels we had a huge outbreak for it, one of the vets said it can travel in the wind for up to 1km, i have no idea if that is true but someone here might confirm it.

if one of your dogs has it your other dog would have come in contact, saying that. Every time Kaos has had it, Atlas has not. She has had it 4 times and he never showed any signs of being sick

How is she this morning K&C?

A while ago, Rusty, one of my rescues had a really bad case of KC.

He had to have antibiotics too but he wasn't coughing up white froffy stuff.

The discharge he had coming from his nose was thick and green.

I hope you can get her to your normal vet today.

Well she is going to the toilet now :thumbsup:

We still really don't think it is kennel cough. We called our vet and couldn't get in but they to said it sounds like the kitty litter as Scout is no longer coughing which means she mustn't have had as much as what Misty did. She is eating fine and playing with Scout fine I have not heard her cough but OH said he had but not as bad as she was. My partner still INSISTS on keeping the seperate :( I do not want to! What can I tell him to assure him that if its KC there is nothing we can do about Coco now? I want my babies inside :o

I have to call vet again now and tell them how everything was today but would there be any need for the antibiotics?

I have to call vet again now and tell them how everything was today but would there be any need for the antibiotics?

if you have no definite diagnosis, and they have started on the AB's .. you might as well continue .... glad she isn't constipated anymore.

Could be coincidence and she really does have KC...it happens. FWIW Brookie got into the kitty litter a couple of years ago and scoffed lots...(dogs really are revolting sometimes :( ) It was the natural bran variety which clumps and can be flushed ...purple packet. Later that evening it came out both ends...yuck!!! He was fine but I did enquire and because of the brand and type it was fine.

Have you still got the packet? Have a look at the fine print and see if there is a customer service that you can call.

Fingers crossed and I hope its all ok with Misty.

When my son found my cat as a tiny dumped baby about 6/7 yrs ago I did a lot of research on kitty litters & after reading that the clay clumping ones set like concrete when they come in contact with liquid & if swallowed are very dangerous I wouldn't use them. I then tried the crystals & hated them. After many months I discovered the natural one & won't use anything else.

Glad to hear Misty is now ok & I hope Coco will be also.