Best In Show At Westminster (usa) V- Videos

Jed

The owner gives a description of Malachy's conformation about halfway through this video, if you would like to know more about pekinese.

Here is some behind the scenes footage some of which is a hoot

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit, I'm prejudice and no devotee of big coats . . .but

Are you sure that's a dog and not something out of StarWars? I thought dogs had noses and legs :laugh:. Can't remember ever seeing a dog who didn't move at all in the joints when picked up. You'd almost think him a plush toy.

Seeing such an overdone representative of the breed winning the big national show makes it easier to understand why pedigree registrations are declining and animal rights organisations are gaining ground.

He's lovely! I do adore Pekes.

And Sandgrubber, from the limited footage in the videso, he is not particularly overdone at all - Pekingese have looked similar to that for centuries. Yes he has coat, but it doesn't appear excessive at all. And he does have a nose and legs. :rolleyes: Not every breed appeals to every person but we shouldn't jump in with widesweeping criticisms without the knowledge to back it up.

He's lovely! I do adore Pekes.

And Sandgrubber, from the limited footage in the videso, he is not particularly overdone at all - Pekingese have looked similar to that for centuries. Yes he has coat, but it doesn't appear excessive at all. And he does have a nose and legs. :rolleyes: Not every breed appeals to every person but we shouldn't jump in with widesweeping criticisms without the knowledge to back it up.

Agreed! He is a lovely Peke! Not the breed of my choice but I like to think that I can appreciate all dogs and he is a particularly good one!

Are you sure that's a dog and not something out of StarWars? I thought dogs had noses and legs :laugh:. Can't remember ever seeing a dog who didn't move at all in the joints when picked up. You'd almost think him a plush toy.

Seeing such an overdone representative of the breed winning the big national show makes it easier to understand why pedigree registrations are declining and animal rights organisations are gaining ground.

Sandgrubber you go on and on like a broken record :rolleyes: We all realise that you have no interest in showing and disapprove of the whole show scene, but is it really necessary for you to make disparaging remarks in every thread? You really are becoming a bit of a bore.

Sandgrubber you go on and on like a broken record :rolleyes: We all realise that you have no interest in showing and disapprove of the whole show scene, but is it really necessary for you to make disparaging remarks in every thread? You really are becoming a bit of a bore.

Whilst the Peke is not my breed of choice and never will be, you have to appreciate quality when you see it. It drives me insane in the toy ring when we are waiting for the Pekes to finish :laugh: takes them forever.... but I can appreciate a quality dog when I see it.

This attitude is the reason why I came back to DOL... after moving to the USA from Australia a few years ago and bringing a couple of my dogs with me, I have not found a good forum where the show breeders & exhibitors are not getting bagged out with this mentality. I am so tired of hearing how show people are so insular and narrow minded, (and it can be true, in some show people) however there seems to be more discrimination coming from those who are not fans of the showring. Everyone has an opinion, and everyone has a right to own whatever breed they wish. I am glad to be back.... DOL is a breath of fresh air for the most part... and even our shows are more relaxed etc... Can you tell I am homesick ;)

This attitude is the reason why I came back to DOL... after moving to the USA from Australia a few years ago and bringing a couple of my dogs with me, I have not found a good forum where the show breeders & exhibitors are not getting bagged out with this mentality. I am so tired of hearing how show people are so insular and narrow minded, (and it can be true, in some show people) however there seems to be more discrimination coming from those who are not fans of the showring. Everyone has an opinion, and everyone has a right to own whatever breed they wish. I am glad to be back.... DOL is a breath of fresh air for the most part... and even our shows are more relaxed etc... Can you tell I am homesick ;)

Welcome back Abilene. You had English Toy Terriers here didn't you? Or Manchesters??

Do you think the fact that Australians largely show their own dogs contributes to a more relaxed atmosphere here. I get the impression, given the cost of exhibiting and titling dogs over there that there really can be sheep stations riding on results???

Edited by Telida Whippets

Welcome back Abilene. You had English Toy Terriers here didn't you? Or Manchesters??

Do you think the fact that Australians largely show their own dogs contributes to a more relaxed atmosphere here. I get the impression, given the cost of exhibiting and titling dogs over there that there really can be sheep stations riding on results???

:wave: Hi Poodlefan,

Great to be back, yes I had ETTs and Mastiffs but ETTs were my main breed... and I had a few Griffons too... two of which are sitting on the couch with me as I type....

You are right that ..... it can be expensive to title a dog here.... it is a shame that there is a mindset that you "must have a handler in order to finish a dog" Whilst this can be true, as there are so many heavily sponsored dogs.... and most breeders have handlers exhibiting their dogs... but not all are this way... there are some judges that will put up a dog and not who is on the end of the lead. With the cost of having a dog with a handler and advertising in many of the magazines... and there are a lot of mags here that are for show exhibitors... one comes out weekly and it is bigger than our National Dog Annual Mag.... the big one that comes out just once a year.... so the cost of advertising, campaigning etc, some exhibitors have been known to spend a fortune. Entries are expensive compared to ours in Australia and we have travel often hours to get to a show and often interstate.... nothing like living a couple hours from Sydney, Brisbane etc and being able to show every weekend and often having the choice of where to show.... also you don't know if you are even going to get enough dogs to qualify for a Major here until you get to the show. It certainly is very different. It is common knowledge that a particular breeder or two or three have spent in excess of 100K to campaign a dog.... lots of BIS awards etc... obviously the dog has to be quality....but also a lot of advertising and sponsorship etc. Dogs are often owned by multiple owners as well, which is happening in Australia a little, but here it is common place... and have a tax problem, buy a dog and have it campaigned,,, you see that a lot here.

There are a lot of things here that are very different from australia, AKC is just a registry, there are no code of ethics and you don't have to be a member... no memberships... you don't even have to have a prefix unless you want... very different. Of course any serious breeder is going to want a prefix, but it is not a requirement. The breed clubs are the clubs that you have to answer to as far as breeding ethically.... so there can be breeders that are not in the breed club or have been suspended from the breed club, but can still exhibit their dogs.... and breeders who breed crossbreds as well.... those that are part of the clubs and are ethical, don't participate in this practice, but others do..... which is why there are puppy mills that are churning out AKC registered puppies... it really does take a bit to get your head around.... there is the whole.... "land of the free"... no one can mess with my rights attitude which is so very different from how we perceive things in Australia. So very different indeed.

I have a list of judges who are happy to put up a dog on its own merit and I will continue to breed and exhibit my own... no fun just getting a phone call to find out how your dog has done at a show.... even if I was rich... I wanna be there myself... which is why I miss our Aussie dog shows... there is always gonna be politics etc and some bitching and back biting, but for the most part, Aussie shows are laid back and fun. Majority of shows are indoors here and remind me of when I showed my ETTs at the World Show in Poland... no room to run your dogs and show off their movement at many of the shows, (doesnt' affect me with the Griffons but for the bigger breeds, it can be a pain)

So have you always had whippets? Sorry my memory is rusty but I do rember Poodlefan :thumbsup:

So have you always had whippets? Sorry my memory is rusty but I do rember Poodlefan :thumbsup:

I think I bugged you about ETTs when I was breed tyre kicking at one stage but no, Whippets are a relatively new addition to the tribe with the oldest Whippet resident now 3.5 years old. Just going through the process of getting a kennel prefix at the moment.

Big Ted, the poodle that started it all is now 14.5 but still spry and still very much boss of the Whippets. :)

I recall in Bo Bengston's (US based judge and Whippet breeder for those who haven't heard of him) critique of the Sydney speciality last year that he was surprised to learn that nearly all dogs exhibted were owner handled and he had only praise for the standard of handling. So clearly being an owner handler doesn't have to mean second rate handling but it must be tough sometimes to compete against the seasonsed (and usually very talented) pro handlers over your way.

Do you still have Quarter Horses? I seem to recall you did???

Off topic but yay!!! Poodle fan is back! Took me long enough to realize.

I think people will always whine no matter who is put up. I don't know anything about Pekes but I sure he confirms very well to standrard, it was very brave of the judge to pick the Peke for "America's Dog" when she could have taken an easy out and chosen a more popular breed.

From the AKC breed standard for Pekinese"

. . . long, coarse-textured, straight, stand-off outer coat, with thick, soft undercoat. The coat forms a noticeable mane on the neck and shoulder area with the coat on the remainder of the body somewhat shorter in length. A long and profuse coat is desirable providing it does not obscure the shape of the body. Long feathering is found on toes, backs of the thighs and forelegs, with longer fringing on the ears and tail.

. . . Presentation should accentuate the natural outline of the Pekingese.

??????

From the AKC breed standard for Pekinese"

. . . long, coarse-textured, straight, stand-off outer coat, with thick, soft undercoat. The coat forms a noticeable mane on the neck and shoulder area with the coat on the remainder of the body somewhat shorter in length. A long and profuse coat is desirable providing it does not obscure the shape of the body. Long feathering is found on toes, backs of the thighs and forelegs, with longer fringing on the ears and tail.

. . . Presentation should accentuate the natural outline of the Pekingese.

??????

oh give up. My parents had pekes around 30 years ago as pets. Winston was as heavily coated as the BIS winner.