What Does Your Dally Diet Consist Of?

Well his raw food came yesterday.... and I still have 1 barrel of kibble so I will need to finish off the kibble..... 1 cup kibble with 2 spoons cottage cheese for breakfast and I am going to make my own pattys... 1 cup chicken mince, 1 egg, 1tbs omega oil and 1/2 cup pulped veggies (broccoli, sweet potato, carrot) he will get these three days a week and wings 4 days a week.... what do people thing?? does that sound ok?

Well his raw food came yesterday.... and I still have 1 barrel of kibble so I will need to finish off the kibble..... 1 cup kibble with 2 spoons cottage cheese for breakfast and I am going to make my own pattys... 1 cup chicken mince, 1 egg, 1tbs omega oil and 1/2 cup pulped veggies (broccoli, sweet potato, carrot) he will get these three days a week and wings 4 days a week.... what do people thing?? does that sound ok?

That sounds like a good homemade patty to me... this is the ingredient list of the chicken flavour patty that Cleo is currently eating:

"Chicken, finely ground chicken bone, beef liver, whole egg, cultured kefir, seasonal vegetables selected from broccoli, celery, spinach, carrot, ground flax seed, bok choy, dried alfalfa leaf powder, beef kidney, beef heart, unbleached beef tripe, seasonal fruit selected from apple, pear, grapefruit, orange, dried kelp powder, garlic, capsicum."

My ingredient list on the actual box looks slightly different, naming the actual veggies not "seasonal selection"

You patty would be better in the respect that it doesn't have any liver...,maybe i'll copy you! $17 for 12 days worth...how much did your patty supplies cost?

That sounds like a good homemade patty to me... this is the ingredient list of the chicken flavour patty that Cleo is currently eating:

"Chicken, finely ground chicken bone, beef liver, whole egg, cultured kefir, seasonal vegetables selected from broccoli, celery, spinach, carrot, ground flax seed, bok choy, dried alfalfa leaf powder, beef kidney, beef heart, unbleached beef tripe, seasonal fruit selected from apple, pear, grapefruit, orange, dried kelp powder, garlic, capsicum."

My ingredient list on the actual box looks slightly different, naming the actual veggies not "seasonal selection"

You patty would be better in the respect that it doesn't have any liver...,maybe i'll copy you! $17 for 12 days worth...how much did your patty supplies cost?

I thought beef and liver was a no no's?? or is it just in concentrated amounts?

I thought beef and liver was a no no's?? or is it just in concentrated amounts?

Yes, I avoid them like the plague normally, don't give beef bones, liver treats, any thing with beef or organ meat. My reasoning in my head is that it must be in very small amounts (still would rather it further down the list if it must be there).

Another reason to start making my own patties and freezing them, might wait until we buy our new fridge in a few months though so it's not taking up space in the "communal" one.

*sigh* sometimes, it would be nice not to worry about avoiding certain foods.

Even small amounts of liver, red meat etc can be risky - whilst we understand the basic genetics of Dally stones there are likely other less well understood factors. Not all vegetables are low purine either. It doesn't have to be complicated. Feed a decent dry food with only chicken (I wouldn't touch Black Hawk by the way) and add chicken frames or large pieces for chewing. I only feed mince as treats - even my cats eat whole chicken necks/wings or chunks of meat. Much better for teeth for a start!

Even small amounts of liver, red meat etc can be risky - whilst we understand the basic genetics of Dally stones there are likely other less well understood factors. Not all vegetables are low purine either. It doesn't have to be complicated. Feed a decent dry food with only chicken (I wouldn't touch Black Hawk by the way) and add chicken frames or large pieces for chewing. I only feed mince as treats - even my cats eat whole chicken necks/wings or chunks of meat. Much better for teeth for a start!

Can you mix kibble and raw?..... I wanted to add some greens because he loves it and egg and flaxseed for his coat....

Can I ask why you don't like the black hawk? And which kibble you use?

Have a look at the ingredients list - red meat (lamb from memory) and a few other things I wasn't fussed on (Brewers Yeast???) I'm sure my Springer would do fine on it but not what I'd choose for a Dally. I prefer to minimise risk if I can control it. As I said earlier I feed Artemis adult. It's really important to educate yourself - know the list of purine high foods and find something that suits you (price, convenience) and the dog.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Have a look at the ingredients list - red meat (lamb from memory) and a few other things I wasn't fussed on (Brewers Yeast???) I'm sure my Springer would do fine on it but not what I'd choose for a Dally. I prefer to minimise risk if I can control it. As I said earlier I feed Artemis adult. It's really important to educate yourself - know the list of purine high foods and find something that suits you (price, convenience) and the dog.

Yeap I printed off a list of foods high in purines to lowest in purines and im just feeding off that guide...

I carefully scrutinised all the dog foods available to me in my area (helps that I work in a pet store, I have access to more than most but Artemis isn't sold in my area). I have read the purine lists over and over, got it nearly committed to memory, and educated myself before I got a dalmatian, I knew what I was getting into.

According to the Dalmatian Club of America, all meats possible to feed to my dog are "moderately" high in purines, from beef to lamb to chicken. There isn't one meat on the "low" list, and i've read that either lamb or chicken be the main protein source. Cleo's breeder and my mentor both feed supercoat, far worse than black hawk in my opinion.

These are the other foods available to me (and why I won't feed them or don't choose to right now)

Science Diet - hate the amount of fillers, waste of money.

Advance - if I change from BH, I may try this based on ingredients

Pro Plan - Cleo didn't love it, plus has wheat

EP Holistic - the fish flavour is out of the question, having anchovies and sardines and salmon. But Cleo didn't like the other flavours either.

Iams and Eukanuba - too much filler

Royal Canin - has wheat

And then Supercoat, DogPro, Coprice, etc...cheap and full of fillers.

Look, this may have come across defensive, but I've educated myself and tried really hard. To be told to "educate myself" hurts. I could be doing far, far worse for my dog. At least I've read all the info and made a decision based on that.

ns_c - that's exactly what I'm saying - educate yourself and make your decisions based on that. No one is going to agree on everything. I am a scientist so I might come to my conclusions based on different decisions. I was asked what I feed my Dally - I have repeatedly responded to this question in this and the Dally thread and given my reasons why. I have found a few sites that rate chicken lower in purine than red meat (= lamb and beef). Probably lamb isn't as high as beef but I can't find anything definitive on it. As I said, I don't like the Brewers Yeast in Blackhawk either. Some people feed red meat and a little organ meat as well and never have a problem. I'm simply not prepared to take that risk when I can find an alternative. It's no guarantee, even then, that a dog won't get stones. As for feeding mince - personally I just don't see the point when compared with a whole meaty chicken carcass - interesting for the dog, cleans the teeth and a nice balance of meat and bone - but if you want to feed mince that's fine. I'm only saying what I do and why as requested by the OP.

ETA: My point extends to BARF feeding. I wouldn't feed the BARF patties based on the ingredients list you posted but if they work for you and your dog, that's ok too.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I appreciate everyone’s in put, it sure has given me an idea of some ingredients..... I will feed frames when I can but buying them in bulk is a little inconvenient in terms of freezer space.

I feed chicken frames several times a week, I can buy 4 for about $3-4 which is a week's worth when feeding patties as well. One thing I've learnt after a brain fart moment - separate them into their own baggies BEFORE freezing. I now have a chicken frame lump wasting space in the freezer coz I forgot once to separate.

It would be too inconvenient for me too to store any more than that at once.

3 cups Artemis dry and 1 cup Proplan sensitive OR a large meaty chicken frame (frozen). Plus chicken pieces if he's on the thin side. One or two raw eggs a week when the chooks are laying. One or two Eukanuba large biscuits at bedtime.

Training treats daily include Natures Gift chicken strips and treats, raw or cooked chicken, boiled egg, cheese, 4 Legs roll and balls.

Ziggy does a lot of exercise and there is not an ounce of fat on him.

TSD Can i ask where you get your Artemis from? Georgia mainly eats a mix of Proplan Sensitive, chicken carcass/necks, fruit, vegies, yoghurt and eggs plus treats and i've been wanting to try the Artemis for treats but being rural find it difficult to get hold of. I've tried a sample and she does like it and it would be nice to also add a little bit of extra now and again for a change.

Plenty of info on the Artemis website for those in other states too.

http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/where-to-buy/victoria/

4 Paws & More Pet Supplies

Unit2, 60 Keilor Park Drive,Keilor Park 3042 Ph 9331 7869

Shop 2,33 Hamilton Street Gisborne 3437 Ph 54284422

For Your Paws Only Pet Supplies

747 Mountain Hwy, Bayswater 3153

Ph 9729 6284

All Paws Forward Ph 1300 598 724

Free Delivery in Sunbury, Melton and Ballarat

Canine Sports Medicine Clinic - Please phone first to order.

745 North Road, Cranbourne 3977

Ph 5978 5174

Cooinda Cat Resort - Cats staying at the cattery are fed on Artemis

65 Barretts Rd, Langwarrin South 3911

Ph 5971 1395

D & D Pet Supplies

3a Apsley Place, Seaford 3198

Ph 9786 4603 website -FREE Delivery throughout Melbourne and beyond.

Diamond Creek Veterinary Hospital

110 Main Hurstbridge Rd, Diamond Creek 3089

Ph 9438 1183

Doctor Doolittles - Please phone first to check stock availabilty at this store

Shop 19/447 Hampton Street, Hampton

Ph 9598 9085

Doggy Dooz

154A Victoria Street, Seddon 3011

Ph 9687 0299

Dogs Country Club & Kennel Resort - Dogs staying at the kennels are fed on Artemis

19 Sumner Rd Baxter 3911

Ph 5971 1127

Dotel Pet Care - Please phone first to order

874 Canterbury Rd, Box Hill 3128

Ph 9899 3440

E & A Salce

647 High Street, Thornbury 3071

Ph 9484 3805

Yarra Glen Stock Feeds

2/1 Armstrong Grove, Yarra Glen 3775

Ph 9730 1729

Going to the Dogs

371 Burnley Street, Richmond 3121

Ph 9427 7434

Greensborough Grain Store

5/183 Para Rd, Greensborough 3088

Ph 9435 1339

Hurstbridge Animal Feed & Hardware

925 Main Rd, Hurstbridge 3099

Ph 9718 1166

Kim's Dogmatics- please phone to order

Kinglake

Ph 57861718

Klassy Pets Of North Ringwood

Shop 19, Milne Place, North Ringwood Shopping Centre 3134

Ph 9876 1377

My Pet Warehouse

1357 Malvern Rd, Malvern 3144 Ph 9822 3799

136 -138 Burnley, Richmond 3121 Ph 9428 3300

755 Riversdale Rd, Camberwell. 3124 Ph 9066 1111

193 Bay St, Brighton. 3186 Ph 9596 3394

65-79 Moray Street South Melbourne 3006 Ph 8199 9999

121 Commercial Rd South Yarra 3141

http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au

Pet Love

329 Moreland Rd, Coburg 3058

Ph 9386 8466

Pet N' The Dog

Shop4b / 55 Princes Hwy, Beaconsfield 3807

Ph 9707 2841

Pookinuk

website- Delivery to BRISBANE, SYDNEY, MELBOURNE, ADELAIDE AND PERTH, order online

Ph 1300 65 66 75 or SMS orders 0427 65 66 75

Porky's Pet Food

2, Arundel St, Cranbourne 3977

Ph 5996 7110

Sunshine Vet Clinic

98 Anderson rd, Sunshine 3020

Ph 9312 2500

Super Pet Warehouse

Unit 4/ 64-96 Gaffney St, Coburg 3058

Ph 9354 4110

Total Animal Supplies

98 Watt Rd, Mornington 3931 Ph 03 59-768880

45 Cameron St, Cranbourne PH 03 59-951959

The Vet Practice

9 Laurel St Whittlesea 3757

Cnr Plenty Rd & Allan Ave South Morang 3752

Thanks TSD. I only just remembered i posted in here too. :o :laugh:

And you know i was having a dumb moment because when i posted i thought for some reason you lived near me then later on i remembered that you don't. I was thinking of someone else. But that's why i was wondering where you had managed to buy Artemis from. :laugh:

I think i might just buy some online once i recover from my recent vet bill. It seems to be the easiest option.

I did add this in the dally thread but i thought i would post it here too for a little more coverage and extra tips in what i can do ..... so some bad news... I took Gus to the vet yesterday because his had some irritation on the top of his head and on his belly, the vet said it wasn't mites or mange or anything fungal it was just an irritation to the grasses and pollens which is good i suppose so she gave him a needle to calm down the inflammation and irritation, she said to wash him weekly with a good quality soothing conditioner and shampoo and to add flaxseed to his diet daily instead of every second day.

She also wanted a urine same which i dropped off this morning, i got a call from the vet tonight saying the results dont look good, he has crystals in his urine which indicate he may have a stone or a pretty bad infection, but his urine is very alkaline which is apparently a good thing, she had to send it away for further testing and I find out the worst of the results on monday.....she said tis very rare for pups to have such a high amount of crystals in the urine especially because I have him on a pretty good diet... she did though commend me for picking up on the colour of the urine and bringing him in... if i left it any longer the outcome would have not been good at all.

Not sure what to do in the mean time, im a little upset and worried.