Puppy Buyer Etiquette

Podengo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there are good points. But good points get lost amongst those that are perhaps a little extreme. It also means that its not something i would pass on to clients seeking a new puppy- it really would put many of them off. Just my opinion.

Of course there are good points. But good points get lost amongst those that are perhaps a little extreme. It also means that its not something i would pass on to clients seeking a new puppy- it really would put many of them off. Just my opinion.

I agree with this. I think sometimes it's easy to forget how intimidating some breeders can come across to puppy buyers, whether they're the no-nonsense type or not.

Edited by mr.mister

Agreed. The biggest problem I have is that her approach doesn't benefit anyone. It's a lose-lose situation.

Example:

In my first email, I would never disclose information about myself and our home. This sort of thing is reserved for phone conversations and subsequent emails.

So, I'd lose the opportunity of parenting her dog and she'd lose placing of one of her dogs in a loving, caring home.

Edited by HonBun

I have been on more than one breeder's waiting list. And I've done that twice now.

As has been pointed out, things don't always go according to plan, particularly in terms of gender.

However I was up front about it and made it quite clear about who I would go with if things DID go to plan. Breeder A's pups were a month older than Breeder B's and they were both cool about it.

I honestly don't know why breeders have to treat puppy buyers with kid gloves. If you are open about what you do why you things in a puppy selling context than that's all to the good as far as I'm concerned. The fact that buyers may not expect it doesn't mean it all has to be doom and gloom because you have standards.

I agree that every enquiry should be treated respectfully. I don't see the big deal about people asking price. But what differentiates responsible breeders from those who'll shove a puppy at you as soon as they see the colour of your money IS the vetting process.

How do you sugar coat that???? Maybe the secret is to prepare buyers to deal with breeders to whom each and every pup they sell is more than "just a dog". That's the aim of that blog and I think its a good one. I tell prospective buyers to expect the Spanish Inquisition and explain why they'll be asked so many questions. So far they've all survived the process.

There has been one highly respected breeder who was nothing short of rude. She is now struck from my list which is a pity because she breeds great dogs. :(

Edited by Telida Whippets

I think things like this put off some of the very people that would approach things the right way while the people who are difficult buyers don't care.

I don't like hard and fast rules for every puppy buyer either. I simply wouldn't go to a breeder who wouldn't let me have any input into the puppy choice. Of course i would want them to have input as well. But i wouldn't respond well to being told which puppy was mine with no choice. On the flip side- i wish many people i know had had an experienced breeder choose their puppy for them as they didn't have the experience to do so. Every puppy buyer is different.

I agree.

With respect to multiple listings, what is wrong with that? You don't know whether the breeder will have a puppy that meets your requirements (I'm not interested in just getting any puppy of breed X, I have very specific requirements). As such, surely listing with a few breeders is a good idea? I won't deal with breeders who have a list of approved buyers and then if they have, say 5, puppies, assign the pups to the first 5 people on the list. Rather, I'm interested in breeders who assign the right pups to the right people, even if that means someone who would be a great owner who has been on the list for a while misses out, simply because there isn't a pup that meets their requirements.

There is nothing wrong with being on the lists of multiple breeders - but be upfront about it. Nothing is worse than (as happened recently) where I contacted a puppy person, who had sounded lovely, about a puppy in the litter - they said wonderful, thanks very much we would like that puppy. I asked for a deposit (which is normal) - and waited. After a week I was a bit concerned so tried contacting them again. In the meantime, I'm telling other people, no sorry, I don't have anything available. After another few days and still nothing, I hear through the breeder grapevine that this person has gone elsewhere. Finally, after another email I get a response - along the lines of 'Hi, thanks for all the pics and info you've been sending us of the puppy, he looks really cute but now we're getting one from someone near the OH's parents. We forgot to email you sorry".

Now, I have no problem whatsoever with people going elsewhere - I often refer people on to other breeders, and thats fine. What is disappointing is that I was telling other potential owners that sorry, I couldn't help them, for several weeks.

So, if you have got your name down with multiple breeders, PLEASE be upfront about it (its ok, we don't mind!), and PLEASE tell us as soon as you take a puppy elsewhere. Finally, if you agree to a puppy, but then keep 'shopping' and not tell the original breeder of this, its going to make us a tad cranky (and many of us are a little sleep deprived already!) LOL

I agree with this. I think sometimes it's easy to forget how intimidating some breeders can come across to puppy buyers, whether they're the no-nonsense type or not.

goodness, you may not know this but sometimes puppy people can be intimidating too - esp late night calls demanding a particular puppy who's photo they have just seen on the website! LOL

I'll be honest, that blog post really does come across as very intimidating and not very approachable at all and gave a really bad impression. I really hope that most breeders are not like that!

With rising public awareness of puppy farms, a lot of people who previously would have purchased their dog from a pet shop or back yard breeder are going to be approaching a breeder for the very first time the next time they are looking for a dog. Not getting any response or being repeatedly told no for the sin of asking the price or phrasing their initial enquiry incorrectly is going to send these people straight back to the pet stores. I would think that given how puppy mills are so passionately despised that breeders would be going out of their way to be encouraging these sorts of people to consider using a responsible breeder, instead of turning them away for such flimsy reasons.

Edited by WeimMe

goodness, you may not know this but sometimes puppy people can be intimidating too - esp late night calls demanding a particular puppy who's photo they have just seen on the website! LOL

I'm am sure! Don't worry, I understand it goes both ways.

I don't think all breeders are like that but I personally do get a little fed up with puppy people at times. I very seldom get an enquiry that has actually done their research and is considering the entire dog (temperament, health clearances and colour and gender) rather than just what the dog looks like.

Only once have I ever been asked what health clearances my dogs have and the vast majority of buyers just ring every breeder until they find a puppy available. Not all puppies are bred alike and if you do decide to buy one elsewhere as theirs are ready a mth earlier please don't ring me complaining about health or temperament issues. It is very frustrating to think

you have all your puppies sold and have spent countless hours interviewing and communicating with them only to have them pull out at the last minute and this happens all the time,

On the plus side some of my best homes have come from 1 line e-mails. Not everyone is great with e-mails.

As in life no-one can know how the other prefers to communicate until you know each other a little. I think a little give and take on both sides is required.

I fully understand people getting annoyed at people pulling out at the last minute, but I guess I wouldn't want a puppy to go to someone who wasn't really vested in that puppy either.

People are all so different we heav no hope of knowing what they particularly like until we have communicated with them.

I don't think all breeders are like that but I personally do get a little fed up with puppy people at times. I very seldom get an enquiry that has actually done their research and is considering the entire dog (temperament, health clearances and colour and gender) rather than just what the dog looks like.

Only once have I ever been asked what health clearances my dogs have and the vast majority of buyers just ring every breeder until they find a puppy available. Not all puppies are bred alike and if you do decide to buy one elsewhere as theirs are ready a mth earlier please don't ring me complaining about health or temperament issues. It is very frustrating to think

you have all your puppies sold and have spent countless hours interviewing and communicating with them only to have them pull out at the last minute and this happens all the time,

On the plus side some of my best homes have come from 1 line e-mails. Not everyone is great with e-mails.

I think some people aren't aware of health clearances and temperment. I mean I grew up with dogs from pet shops or byb and never went to the vet and were fed cheapo food. Once again I think its an education thing that needs to get out there. My first dog with my partner was a byb dog as thats what I knew! Now since joining this forum I have learnt A LOT. My second dog was a registered dog but I didn't probe into questions as I assumed being a registered breeder all would be well and it hasn't been :( I know there aren't many unethical breeders out there but once again it was a learning curve for me and something that the public needs to know. Now after reading lots of threads I hope my next decision is a good one :)

When emailing breeders I don't know what to say either and I have had a fair few breeders never reply to me :( I think breeders should reply to the one liners and one's with prices and educate them on how to go about it and then they will spread the word with their friends and family and maybe people will start to know what to do when it comes to registered breeders :) Can't do the right thing if no one knows how to do it

Edited by krystal&coco

I had a man ring me the other day about my puppy. As I had people with me, I asked him to complete my Puppy Enquiry Form and I'd get back to him. His form made it quite clear that the puppy would be an outside dog and one of many. He also lives in FNQ.

Now this puppy is a real mummy's boy, loves his family, is an inside dog and HATES the heat. He has screamed blue murder since he was only 2 weeks old if he gets too hot and that might be at 20 degrees! :laugh:

So I thanked the man for his enquiry and explained that I did not think that my puppy was suitable for him, and why.

I get an email back from him today saying "no worries, I have bought a puppy from someone that is not a loony"

I could not stop laughing, made my day :rofl:

Oh really, a looney for not selling him a totally inappropriate dog for his situation. Whatever next!!!

Maybe he misunderstood and thought you said the puppy must be hand fed Caviar and drink bottled water??????

Edited by OSoSwift

I am not at all fussed how buyers approach or if they follow any etiquette as long as they are polite & honest.

I reply to most emails even short ones as long as they don't say something stupid like

I want the black pup & what the best offer. Which is stupid.

If I have or am expecting pups I ask them to please phone me so we can have a chat & then I can get a better idea. One of my 1st questions is Have you had a poodle before ?

About 90% say yes. Then we go from there.

I don't mind if they get their pup elsewhere, they obviously didn't specifically want one of mine, just a puppy.

Occasionally a buyer will mess you about a bit but its no big deal really & the pup is better off elsewhere anyway when this happens.

Sometimes I have had people phone & they did not know much about the breed. Some decided this wasn't the breed for them after a chat, which is ok.

Mostly those with toddlers or who didn't understand the grooming properly.

Breeders can sometimes be scary. I have met a few who even scare me :laugh:

This topic is absolutely fascinating :thumbsup:

Maybe we could also ask what a puppy buyer expects from the perfect breeder. Here is my take on this:

1) In depth knowledge of the breed

2) Patience, patience, patience as the buyer asks 10000 "stupid" and not so stupid questions

3) Willingness to guide the buyer in raising the puppy

4) Willingness to provide advice on any health/behaviour issues that may happen during adulthood

5) Ability to present pros/cons of any decisions made about the dog (Eg. should I breed or not)

6) Ability to select the best pup for the home

I am sure others will add to this :)

I am also interested in what a puppy buyer wants. Good to see both sides of the coin

I agree with the above.

I am the type of person who likes to email/send a breeder photos and updates - quite often!! I could not handle a breeder that showed no interest int he puppy once they had sold it, or didn't care what that had achieved.

Luckily both the breeders I got mine from never complain I send them lots of photos and email updates. I do not expect them all to be answered of course, just the odd email back is appreciated.

Any question is answered, nothign is too silly and I feel they are now my friends.

Which reminds me tme to take some more photos - been a little while :)

Guest lavendergirl

Don't be offended because I ask what health tests have been undertaken - don't just tell me that the pups have been "vet checked" and all your dogs are "healthy" :)