Campbelltown Pound

After two days of announcing great results, where rescue groups & councils cooperate in getting the shelter kill rates down to amazingly low levels, I must report on a recalcitrant council who has nothing to do with the rescue community. And it shows in its figures. Campbelltown City Council's figures, for the year reporting 2010-11, are nothing short of disgusting. These are their figures:

Animals entering shelter: 3617

Animals PTS: 2346

This means their kill ratio is 64.9%!

Now remember our comparisions. The RSPCA NSW has a kill rate of 51.5% which is too high. Their Victorian counterparts are at 35.9%. The AWL NSW is at 29.9% whilst old Kurri pound was at 31.4%. Meanwhile SoCares has just reported that both Muswellbrook & Wyong shelters are at 12%.

The picture is clear: where council's cooperate with rescue groups the kill ratio drops dramatically when dedicated people work together to make a difference. I think it's time for massive political agitation to take place especially in a year where local elections are due in September.

And by all means spread this around to everyone you know :)

Some of the mining towns in Qld are worse than that. I have heard up to 80%. Anyone able to get a breakdown by RSPCA shelter. In this case I can't see how you can blame the shelter as they are not the ones dumping the dogs when they move on - just dealing with the problem.

Some of the mining towns in Qld are worse than that. I have heard up to 80%. Anyone able to get a breakdown by RSPCA shelter. In this case I can't see how you can blame the shelter as they are not the ones dumping the dogs when they move on - just dealing with the problem.

RSPCA NSW doesn't release individual shelter figures, unlike their Victorian counterparts.

Which "shelter" are you refering to in respect to not blaming them?

These figures are disgusting!

I know at the very least they have started selling all dogs desexed. It used to be optional :mad .

I drive past the pound every Monday and Thursday in the middle of the day for work. I would be happy to take photos and get some info on the dogs and run a thread but I suppose someone has already tried that?

Does anyone know if you need permission to do that...I suppose thats what other groups are working towards.

They may not work with rescue but some groups may be able to adopt direct from the pound or be able to direct potential adopters.

I really don't understand this maddness...if private rescue is working and reducing the kill rate why not use it...

These figures are disgusting!

I know at the very least they have started selling all dogs desexed. It used to be optional :mad .

I drive past the pound every Monday and Thursday in the middle of the day for work. I would be happy to take photos and get some info on the dogs and run a thread but I suppose someone has already tried that?

Does anyone know if you need permission to do that...I suppose thats what other groups are working towards.

They may not work with rescue but some groups may be able to adopt direct from the pound or be able to direct potential adopters.

I really don't understand this maddness...if private rescue is working and reducing the kill rate why not use it...

Yes, you would need permission from the pound manager if not the council division leader or the general manager themselves. But this is probably an issue for the councillors & mayor to raise, not only in repsect to publicity & photos etc, but also for rescue groups to gain access via their clause 16d as I'm 100% certain that none of the councillors or mayor would be aware as to what is taking place.

Campbelltown pound considers rescuers

BY ALEXANDRA PLEFFER

14 Dec, 2011 01:00 AM

RUSE kitten Carter must be counting his lucky stars.

Living Treasures Animal Rescue saved Carter and his siblings from Renbury animal shelter the day before they were due to be destroyed.

Now the Campbelltown-based rescue group is hoping the council will let it find other stray animals a loving home.

Campbelltown Council was expected to vote last night on whether its animal pound will work with government-approved rescue groups.

"To have seen Carter and his siblings sitting at the bottom of the cage frightened, not knowing what was going on and then to see him now with his little collar and his bell, running around — it doesn't get better than that," said the Living Treasures founder, who did not wish to be named.

"I would be first in line to help the council out."

Living Treasures saves cats from Blacktown, Hawkesbury and Renbury pounds but is flat-out in the lead-up to Christmas.

"Between me and all my foster carers at the moment we have just over 60 kittens in our care and each one has to be desexed and vaccinated before they leave," she said.

"The more cats I can put into foster care, the more cats I can take from the pounds."

She said she often had trouble finding homes for older cats or those with feline immunodeficiency virus.

"All cats grow up and with an adult cat you won't get a poo in the corner of your room like with a kitten — they're pretty much all worked out," she said.

"And the two most sensational cats in my care are FIV positive and I can't get anybody to take even a second look at them.

"But they would make perfect indoor pets.

"They all deserve really loving homes, but instead they're dying every day."

The council was also expected to vote last night on a proposed six-month trial period in which all male dogs sold at the pound would be desexed, upgrading the pound section of the council's website and making changes to the exercise yard and cat enclosures.

Information about adopting indoor cats from Living Treasures: 0430 009 455.

Campbelltown pound adoptions: 4628 3044.

I found this from local newspaper. I suspect that the desexing got approved but not the part where they will work with government approved rescue groups?

Does anyone know the outcome of this and their reason?

Actually, I did try to speak to Campbelltown Council regarding a dog I had seen on an internet site with a view to rescuing him. I would describe the response as apathetic and frustrating.

S

Same here. I actually wrote a letter of complaint, a long letter and what I got back just showed a total lack of interest in dogs' welfare and trying to help them.

I know in the pass Campbelltown has not had a good experience with rescue groups.

But I must say the opposite when I last rang them I received a good response and the gentleman that I spoke with was willing to work with me.

I think in this instance you will get further with honey then complaining and having a go at them because of their previous run with rescue groups.

I hope they vote in favour but then it will also be upto the each group to work with them and not against them.

Fair enough Jill. I can understand their attitude if they've had bad experiences with some rescue groups in the past - haven't we all.

Happy to try the honey approach - although I thought I was pretty polite the first time around. If you have contact details of the guy you spoke to, could you pm them through? The person I spoke to was very curt and dismissive, I got the impression I was merely annoying for calling. Maybe just having a very bad day perhaps, I imagine if I worked in a pound with those figures, most days would be less than stellar.

S

I found this from local newspaper. I suspect that the desexing got approved but not the part where they will work with government approved rescue groups?

I believe they voted to work with government approved rescue groups and are now in the process of implementing this. DCH have been very pleased to be involved in discussions with them and we hope to work with them in the future.

After many years of negativity towards rescue (whether approached nicely or not) this is a wonderful step forward and I hope that we can make a real difference there.

I believe they voted to work with government approved rescue groups and are now in the process of implementing this. DCH have been very pleased to be involved in discussions with them and we hope to work with them in the future.

After many years of negativity towards rescue (whether approached nicely or not) this is a wonderful step forward and I hope that we can make a real difference there.

How fantastic is that!! :thumbsup:

I really hope this has a massive impact on the statistics.

I am of the understanding that there are guidelines being worked out for rescue to work with this pound at the moment. I have spoken to the pound manager who advised me that they had had bad experiences with rescue in the past. We all know that this is something not totally out of the question. Our rescue group has also had contact with the pound and we are hopeful of being able to help the pooches in need soon. I want to add too, as was mentioned already, that I think it would be better to take the slow, diplomatic approach. Councils are not obliged to work with rescue. Whilst the kill rate at this facility is unacceptably high, I think baby steps are needed to win their trust and support.

I totally agree, baby steps and not bull in a china shop approach. the staff at pounds have enough to cope with ie the public without us not working with them.

I have always found if you work with them and not against them you get a lot further and maybe it isn't as far as you might like but eventually you will get most of the way, and it will never be 100% but if we are able to start and save some then it is better then it was.